AIS 2Gbps fiber internet, anyone?

muratremix

Since passive PON fiber supports 2.5 gbps down, 1.25 gbps up, I was wondering when they'll start offering faster than 1gbps internet in Thailand.

It seems AIS is the forerunner in this regard. As a 3BB 1000/1000 user, I'm jealous of AIS' 2Gbps/500Mbps plans.

https://www.ais.th/fibre/package.html

Too bad they don't offer 2gbps on all cities, only 1500 mbps for Phuket which doesn't even make sense. Perhaps they'll upgrade fiber lines in other cities in the future?

Does anybody use 1500 or 2000 Mbps AIS fiber yet? If so, how's the speeds??

Is it normal for the speed to remain below 1Gbps during a test?

Yes. In each wired connection to the Linksys Mesh WiFi AX5400 (or a router/Mesh WiFi of a different brand) on a high-speed optical converter (2.5Gbps), the maximum speed is 1Gbps. However, the bandwidth of simultaneous downloads on all connected devices is 2Gbps.

Edited by rbkk

Some mid- and high-end motherboards support 2.5 GbE, or you can add a PCIe adapter.

No clue what applications require this bandwidth? NAS? (assumes your NAS supports 2.5 GbE).

Assume you need new cables as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtiqO52KSFk

On 12/26/2021 at 5:31 PM, rbkk said:

Is it normal for the speed to remain below 1Gbps during a test?

Yes. In each wired connection to the Linksys Mesh WiFi AX5400 (or a router/Mesh WiFi of a different brand) on a high-speed optical converter (2.5Gbps), the maximum speed is 1Gbps. However, the bandwidth of simultaneous downloads on all connected devices is 2Gbps.

Whoever came up with offering a 2Gb WAN limited by a 1Gb LAN deserves a very special prize. Same applies to offering WiFi 6 router. Not much point if you're LAN can't go above 1Gb. I'd not be at all surprised if they are actually using 2 PON points, each providing 1Gb.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, RedCardinal said:

Whoever came up with offering a 2Gb WAN limited by a 1Gb LAN deserves a very special prize. Same applies to offering WiFi 6 router. Not much point if you're LAN can't go above 1Gb. I'd not be at all surprised if they are actually using 2 PON points, each providing 1Gb.

There is currently just not much point to have 2Gbit/s if you are using the connection alone.

Transfering 10 Gigabyte with a 1 Gbit/s connection takes about 80 seconds, with 2Gbit/s then about 40 seconds. For who is this really important? If the server is abroad any such speeds aren't realistic anyway.

How often would a standard user even notice a difference between 100Mbit/s and 1Gbit/s? I would say most would never notice it, and the only time I would personally notice is when I transfer a big chunk of data once a week or so, but I'm also not in a hurry then and while having it done in 3 minutes instead of 30 would be nice, this is really not very important.

Edited by jackdd

22 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is currently just not much point to have 2Gbit/s if you are using the connection alone.

Very true. I think the problem for the ISPs is that their marketing here is all based on bigger/faster/better.  So it's as much about competitive market posturing as actual consumer demand.  Right now, they're hitting on limits of their own infrastructure and the local network equipment which is still based on 1Gb protocols.  That's unlikely to change for a few more years.  8K TV is probably going to be the chief consumer of >1Gb LAN/WAN.  

As an aside, we're actually lucky to have the connectivity/price-points we have here in Thailand.  Many western countries are still playing catch-up.  If you've been in LoS for 10 or more years you'll really appreciate the connectivity we have now versus then.  I still have a CAT CDMA dongle top remind me of the good old days ????

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

8K TV is probably going to be the chief consumer of >1Gb LAN/WAN.  

Netflix in 4k uses about 20Mbit/s. 8k would use four times this amount, so about 80Mbit/s. Far away from 1Gbit/s.

49 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

As an aside, we're actually lucky to have the connectivity/price-points we have here in Thailand.  Many western countries are still playing catch-up.  If you've been in LoS for 10 or more years you'll really appreciate the connectivity we have now versus then.  I still have a CAT CDMA dongle top remind me of the good old days ????

Yes, simply throwing the wires over poles also has its advantages.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad someone brought out 8K TVs because it's kinda similar

There's not point offering 2Gbps speeds when most of the time the surrounding tech can't match it, and therefore speeds will be throttled by hardware limitations.  

Selling 2Gbps speeds is just to rip off the general public who have no idea about tech that just want the fastest speeds possible. 

On 1/3/2022 at 1:00 PM, RedCardinal said:

I still have a CAT CDMA dongle top remind me of the good old days ????

I remember ringing up IpStar to come and collect their equipment and stop trying to charge me (2,500 baht/month) for not supplying the 250Mb (0.25GB) they promised!

On 12/26/2021 at 2:18 PM, muratremix said:

Since passive PON fiber supports 2.5 gbps down, 1.25 gbps up

PON networks were designed to service multiple premises. I find it comical that anyone thinks they need a 2.5 Gbps connection at home. It's just so absurd, and ISPs are never going to give you that speed anyway except in very short bursts to fool an online speed test.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

On 1/6/2022 at 11:05 AM, azt219 said:

Selling 2Gbps speeds is just to rip off the general public who have no idea about tech that just want the fastest speeds possible. 

I'm an IT consultant and I take my connectivity pretty seriously. We also run a large hotel (where my home office is located). Even when we're full, over 200 rooms, I don't think I ever saw usage peak over 1 Gbps. I have 4 fibre lines for redundancy and a 4G backup gateway of last resort. The aggregate speed of all these connections is something like 4 Gbps. Even when the hotel is full and I'm moving massive files over the network between offices, I struggle to saturate the lines. . . I'll say it again, anyone that thinks they need 2.5 Gbps at home needs their head examining. It's bonkers stupid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I'm an IT consultant and I take my connectivity pretty seriously. We also run a large hotel (where my home office is located). Even when we're full, over 200 rooms, I don't think I ever saw usage peak over 1 Gbps. I have 4 fibre lines for redundancy and a 4G backup gateway of last resort. The aggregate speed of all these connections is something like 4 Gbps. Even when the hotel is full and I'm moving massive files over the network between offices, I struggle to saturate the lines. . . I'll say it again, anyone that thinks they need 2.5 Gbps at home needs their head examining. It's bonkers stupid.

Bill gates also said who needs more than 640K ram. Here we are.

If passive PON supports 2.5 gbps down, why settle for less? Who are you to call others stupid?

Utopia fiber in Salt Lake City offers 10Gbps residential (as in HOME) internet. Japan already offers 10Gbe home fiber, Romania also offers 5 and 10Gbe fiber internet.

I guess your IT days are over mate. You should retire if you can't adapt.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

amen to that, IT "amateurs" tend to think more is better, like a status thing, you know like the guys buying Sport cars but don't know how to drive them and only do their groceries with them for show off ????

here in Europe, I have also 1GB fiber, and even running all kind of tests, it never get there, simply because somewhere along the lines, the ISP will limit that bandwidth below the 1GB. You also need a high end switch/router to "manage" the high traffic. Not worth it.

it's all marketing BS, and the ISPs know people don't need that much, just the easy marks that fall for the marketing BS ????

I only went for 1GB Fiber because monthly prices was cheaper than ADSL2+

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

I guess your IT days are over mate.

Hardly. I can barely keep up with my workload. . . and a key consulting skill is saving money for clients i.e. you only pay for what you need. Even if the ISP did give you 2.5 Gbps (they won't) most if not all web based services wouldn't even be able to supply you with such speeds (even speedtest.net servers usually only have a 1000BASE-T connection). It's ridiculous, and so are you for even trying to argue the point with someone with my background.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, jackdd said:

Yes, simply throwing the wires over poles also has its advantages.

My main site has a couple of kilometres of 6 core armoured fibre, I just threw it up onto power poles (private system). Each core capable of 10 Gbps with lower end SFP+ modules. I'm only using two cores, each with 1 Gbps modules in a LAGG aggregation group to give 2 Gbps between buildings. I don't expect I'll need to upgrade the SFPs for another 10 years at least, and the fibres should last decades after I've retired, this is even with supplying IPTV to all the rooms

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Hardly. I can't keep up with the demand. . . and a vital consulting skill is saving money for clients i.e. you only pay for what you need. Even if the ISP did give you 2.5 Gbps (they won't) most if not all web services wouldn't even be able to supply you with such speeds even speedtest.net servers usually only have a 1000BASE-T connection. It's ridiculous, and so are you for even trying to argue the point with someone with my background.

indeed, even servers on AWS or Google Cloud will have an undisclosed bandwidth limit, and it's definitely below 500MBit

I'll add something about ISPs and speedtest.  I'm a networking guy, I know all the tricks. It's trivial for the ISP to falsify your speedtest results, they just burst your speed whenever you do a speed test (they know the IPs of the speed test servers). The only customers getting the speeds they actually pay for are leased line customers. Everyone else is having their speed faked or using burst bandwidth. They never notice because they never need or use anything more than a hundred Mbps in reality. The ISPs know this. You're all getting the same package on the same terms, on an over-subscription model, just with a different marketing stunt.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I'll add something about ISPs and speedtest.  I'm a networking guy, I know all the tricks. It's trivial for the ISP to falsify your speedtest results, they just burst your speed whenever you do a speed test (they know the IPs of the speed test servers). The only customers getting the speeds they actually pay for are leased line customers. Everyone else is having their speed faked or using burst bandwidth. They never notice because they never need or use anything more than a hundred Mbps in reality. The ISPs know this. You're all getting the same package on the same terms, on an over-subscription model, just with a different marketing stunt.

don't think there is any T1 customers left, it's all about dark fibers at the corporate level now

copper wires are being removed all over Europe, T1 lines are mostly gone now, copper is expensive and can be resold

ADSL are being decommissioned and you can no longer order ADSL or xDSL starting this year

Edited by GrandPapillon

I guess some people just want internet speeds to stay same forever. IT conservatism??

One sentence: Competition is always better.

AWS doesn't have a bandwidth limit, ISPs enforce speed throttling to prevent network abuse. They are not the same thing.

16 hours ago, fdsa said:

the true success in marketing is to convince people to buy something they don't need and overpay for it.

Well i am getting my 1 Gbps from 3BB at the same price as i paid for 500, or 300, or 100 in the past. If it's free why not?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Well i am getting my 1 Gbps from 3BB at the same price as i paid for 500, or 300, or 100 in the past. If it's free why not?

3BB and others should definitely provide 2 or 2.5 gbps packages, so they can justify 590 / 700 / 900 / 1200 baht packages.
590 - 1000/200

700 - 1000/500

900 - 1500 / 500

1200 - 2000 or 2500 / 1000

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

I guess some people just want internet speeds to stay same forever. IT conservatism??

Meh.

I don't think that's what people are saying, I mean other than you.

The consensus here seems to be that given the extra cost (new router, new endpoints, new hardware, monthly tariff), the lack of application requirements and general availability, that most don't see a need to subscribe to such a service NOW.

Maybe a bit like 5G? Is it Cool, sure. Can I post huge speedtest results - often the primary "application" - on social media. Fer sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

5Gbe

Yeah, no clue what you're on about there?

I was referring to 5G, which is a newer mobile data access technology currently offering a solution in search of a requirement.

Once my cat videos are published and streamed in Fur-o-Vision I'm probably all set for now.

• Like 1