Sending Clothes etc from Sydney Australia to Thailand ( Khon Kaen )

Chris Setchell

I want to send a few parcels to Thailand of  Clothes etc as renting out my Unit here. Want to know from other peoples experience which is the best Company to use, to get same sent, would imagine the parcels ( maybe  3 ) would weigh about 5kl's each. I am organising flight now & will carry about 30 kl's in Cargo.

I think you will find many shipping options are still very limited due to covid, and company's like DHL are price gouging. I tried to send a parcel a couple of times this year, only to be told no mail back and forth, or ridiculous prices.

Have you considered treating yourself to business class, which usually gives you extra kilos luggage. It may work out cheaper per kilo than the post/freight options.

Even excess baggage on the plane may be worth it as it done on weight, and clothes dont weigh much.

Edited by Peterw42

I had a friend send about 10 items to me through the post a few years back.

Arrived safely a few kilometers away, at the Customs office. They wanted duty amounting to about 3x the value before they would release the parcel. Told them it wasn't worth it so they returned it to Australia. My friend bought the items to Thailand in his luggage a few months later. 

59 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find many shipping options are still very limited due to covid, and company's like DHL are price gouging. I tried to send a parcel a couple of times this year, only to be told no mail back and forth, or ridiculous prices.

Have you considered treating yourself to business class, which usually gives you extra kilos luggage. It may work out cheaper per kilo than the post/freight options.

Even excess baggage on the plane may be worth it as it done on weight, and clothes dont weigh much.

Business class fare 90,000 baht and up, Economy class around 25,000 and cheaper, you do the math... and as for sending clothes, not worse it, if buy it locally it will work out cheaper...

Edited by ezzra

1 hour ago, Chris Setchell said:

I want to send a few parcels to Thailand of  Clothes etc as renting out my Unit here. Want to know from other peoples experience which is the best Company to use, to get same sent, would imagine the parcels ( maybe  3 ) would weigh about 5kl's each. I am organising flight now & will carry about 30 kl's in Cargo.

There is a mob in Thai town Sydney which send parcels to Thailand for cheap, e.g. when we moved here 6 years ago, we used them and they charged us like $15 a kilo if memory serves me correct. If you want me to hunt them down send me a person message and I will get the boss to do for you.

On a side not, you mention renting your unit out, if your moving here permanently talk to your accountant regarding the new capital gains tax laws because if you are moving here and your residency status changes you will be up for capital gains tax from the day you purchased it, not the day you moved to Thailand.

• Sad 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, Peterw42 said:

I got a small parcel sent with Australia Post this April, it was reasonably fast and no issues.

For standard shipping Australia Post charges $84 for 5kg to Thailand.  That's fairly big parcel and probably will attract the attention of the Thai customs....as mentioned already there could be high duty for clothes, + VAT.