Problem registering with MorChana

I have obtained a Tourist Visa early November. I am due to travel from Europe to Bangkok early January with Emirates flights. I have a question regarding the Thailand Pass and the MorChana app.

• I obtained my Thailand Pass early November (pdf with QR code).
  • I downloaded the MorChana app on my mobile and attempted to register. The app scans the Thailand Pass QR code, displays the Thailand Pass information and asks to edit before confirming. I had to add my nationality and my passport number. I then get an error message "Invalid Thailand Pass Information". I tried 3 times, no success.
  • Reading the entry requirements to Thailand as listed by Emirates : "All inbound passengers must download the “Mor Chana” app on their mobiles either in Thai or English". This says "Download", it does not specify "Register".
  • So my question is whether I absolutely need to register on MorChana before flying, or is it OK if I just download the app and all further requirements (such as registering) will be met once I arrive in Bangkok?
  • I could not imagine that there would be an issue with my Thailand Pass since I obtained it in November. As I understand it, and as I read on the Emirates information site (Travel Requirements updated to 28th December), "Applicants who have received their Thailand Pass QR code can enter Thailand under the scheme they have registered"

Anyone has had this experience before? Anyone can confirm what is going on with MorChana? I would very much appreciate some reassurance.....
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shannoblic said:

Hi gejohesch,

I travelled to the UK from Thailand and return [19 November to 20 December] and posted a thread earlier giving all details of paperwork etc.

At no time in any of the journeys or arrival in Thailand was the MorchanaApp mentioned by anybody.  Good job really as I don't use a smartphone so could not have downloaded it anyway.

Thanks that is reassuring! It's just that the Emirates checkin desk may give me trouble, insisting for that stupid app. I had that experience early this year when another app was mentionned (forgot the name) and just the same, I could not possibly get it working. Emirates accepted to let me board after 1 1/2 hours of discussion, phew! And as you say, no one whispered anything about the app when arriving in Bangkok.

But what worries me now is that the app gives me the error message "invalid Thailand Pass code". Even if I'm not worried about MorChana, I am worried about the Thailand Pass! What if Emirates scan it when checking in and tell me it's no good? And I got the TP early November, what the hell is going on?

@gejohesch I arrive 14 Jan so downloaded the Morchana app and got exactly the same as you after scanning the Thai Pass. I edited to add country and passport number, both of which I thought would be in the QR code and still got this...

Screenshot_20211230-152416.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat

The MorChana app at 500MB is enormous. I don't need it at the moment but if I ever did I would need to uninstall most other apps since my phone allows only 2000MB of storage, Goodbye firefox, facebook , maps etc. I notice that it needs access to practically the entire phone like photos, email, phone numbers, etc. What else is it doing and why does such a simple idea need to be so large?

• Confused 1

My family arrived in Thailand at 00:04 on December 28. At their hotel they were told to install the Morchana App. They all did and successfully scanned their Thailand Pass into the App. My guess is that you will be able to scan your Thailand Pass only after you arrive in Thailand.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

The MorChana app at 500MB is enormous. I don't need it at the moment but if I ever did I would need to uninstall most other apps since my phone allows only 2000MB of storage, Goodbye firefox, facebook , maps etc. I notice that it needs access to practically the entire phone like photos, email, phone numbers, etc. What else is it doing and why does such a simple idea need to be so large?

I have it installed at 107MB

However, maybe you need a new phone if it only allows 2000MB of storage lol

My Facebook is 600MB, while My Maccas app to get cheap Big Macs is 235MB lol

Screenshot_20211230-170645_Settings.jpg

57 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

App size shows as 73.45MB  on my Android phone,with 46.22MB of user data. Under its Play Store entry there are some FB contact details in amongst the reviews.

Http://www.facebook.com/morchanaapp.

It's developed by CAT. Numerous complaints! Here in Thailand I've never had a problem with it. I used to use it extensively, but nowadays, nobody bothers, neither with signing in and out.

Edited by bradiston
Added link
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, donx said:

My family arrived in Thailand at 00:04 on December 28. At their hotel they were told to install the Morchana App. They all did and successfully scanned their Thailand Pass into the App. My guess is that you will be able to scan your Thailand Pass only after you arrive in Thailand.

That's great, but the app specifically says "are you in Thailand or about to travel to Thailand" so it really should work before you arrive lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

@gejohesch I arrive 14 Jan so downloaded the Morchana app and got exactly the same as you after scanning the Thai Pass. I edited to add country and passport number, both of which I thought would be in the QR code and still got this...

Screenshot_20211230-152416.jpg

Yes, that's exactly what I got. ????

The error code says "Invalid Thailand Pass Information", not "Invalid Thailand Pass". As far as I remember, my TP was checked only visually at check-in. Probably the airlines are not able to verify the validity of a TP. As others wrote, also in my case in mid November, Mor Chana was never requested by anyone and I did not use it at all during my  2 weeks stay. I think no need to worry, TP should be valid as communicated on many channels!

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

After the 10th try I got a different message that I can live with lol

Screenshot_20211230-153737.jpg

Hahaha! Expectations are low, I see, when it comes to traveling to Thailand.

We still have to understand why this happens.

I thought about checking the validity of my TP directly on the official site where one has to apply for it. I read on Embassy.com (link below) that :

"You will need the following information:

• the access code
  • your passport number
  • the registered email address"

I could not log in because I do not have an access code.  However, Embassy. com continues with:

"Note: For those who registered before November 11 who did not receive an access code, please email [email protected]"

Frequently Asked Questions about Thailand Pass Application (thaiembassy.com)

So my theory now is that having applied for the TP on the 9th or 10th of November, and obtained it on the 12th of November, that was a relatively early generation of the pass, and probably also MorChana may have been edited since causing issues with the app not recognising an "old generation of TP".

I'm just trying to fill the gaps here! ????

Edited by gejohesch
forgot sthg

2 hours ago, donx said:

"My guess is that you will be able to scan your Thailand Pass only after you arrive in Thailand." One of those weird Thai phenomena. Maybe the laws of physics, valid for all times and over the whole universe (so I'm told), only change when coming close to Big Bang ..... and when coming to Thailand??? ????????

16 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

Hahaha! Expectations are low, I see, when it comes to traveling to Thailand.

We still have to understand why this happens.

I thought about checking the validity of my TP directly on the official site where one has to apply for it. I read on Embassy.com (link below) that :

"You will need the following information:

• the access code
  • your passport number
  • the registered email address"

I could not log in because I do not have an access code.  However, Embassy. com continues with:

"Note: For those who registered before November 11 who did not receive an access code, please email [email protected]"

Frequently Asked Questions about Thailand Pass Application (thaiembassy.com)

So my theory now is that having applied for the TP on the 9th or 10th of November, and obtained it on the 12th of November, that was a relatively early generation of the pass, and probably also MorChana may have been edited since causing issues with the app not recognising an "old generation of TP".

I'm just trying to fill the gaps here! ????

Let me add to this discussion, and I think bring a little bit of reassurance (to myself 555 ????). I sent a mail to the AQ hotel where I'm booked when arriving in Bangkok. They replied within a few hours (good for them!). Here are some extracts of my mail to the hotel and their reply:

Dear XXXXX,

Many thanks for your e-mail and your Thailand Pass, well received.

I am happy to answer the questions below:

• I obtained my Thailand Pass on 12th of November (pdf attached).

Ø  Yes, your Thailand Pass is approved for the Test&Go scheme, as you have booked with us.

• I downloaded the MorChana app on my mobile and attempted to register. The app scans the Thailand Pass QR code, displays the Thailand Pass information. I had to add my nationality and my passport number. I then got an error message "Invalid Thailand Pass Information". I tried 3 times, no success.

Ø  This I unfortunately cannot answer to you, as the MorChana app is handled by the Government. But I scanned your Thailand Pass, which is accurate and valid. I recommend to retry it from time to time.

• Do I absolutely need to register on MorChana before flying, or is it OK if I just download the app and all further requirements (such as registering) will be met once I arrive in Bangkok?

Ø  Yes, I believe there is no issues, we do have some guests arriving even at the hotel without having the MorChana completely setup, as their system still have issues.

• I could not imagine that there would be an issue with my Thailand Pass since I obtained it in November. As I understand it, and as I read on the Emirates information site (Travel Requirements updated to 28th December), "Applicants who have received their Thailand Pass QR code can enter Thailand under the scheme they have registered"

Ø  Correct, you are able to travel under the Test&Go scheme.

With best regards,

XXXXX General Manager

UNQUOTE

So that sounds very much like a near complete explanation of what is happening, and points clearly to issues with MorChana .... surprise, surprise!

4 hours ago, donx said:

Thats what I am thinking too, as I have not travelled yet and get same error. Decided to leave it until I get there guessing it will be linked to the date then will work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gejohesch said:

"My guess is that you will be able to scan your Thailand Pass only after you arrive in Thailand." One of those weird Thai phenomena. Maybe the laws of physics, valid for all times and over the whole universe (so I'm told), only change when coming close to Big Bang ..... and when coming to Thailand??? ????????

Maybe point the Webb telescope this way. Might shed some light on it!

• Haha 1

My son sent me a screenshot of the Morchana App after he scanned his Thailand Pass QR code. It shows his profile photo, last and first name, and a section titled My ID with a blue banner. Inside the My ID section is the last update date and time and a big orange QR code that isn’t the same as his Thailand Pass QR code. Underneath the QR code it says MEDIUM RISK and V2.1.5. I tried to scan this QR code, but it isn’t a website. It’s just a bunch of random characters.

Thank you all for your helpful feedback.

I managed to install the MorChana app.

Mine is a cheap Huawei phone that came preloaded with unwanted apps, which I managed to remove.

The Morchana app is really quite small at only about 20MB.

Quite a neat handy piece of software.

I don't know where the 500MB figure came from.

I also managed to register.

Now it will get more difficult or so you tell me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, gejohesch said:

Let me add to this discussion, and I think bring a little bit of reassurance (to myself 555 ????). I sent a mail to the AQ hotel where I'm booked when arriving in Bangkok. They replied within a few hours (good for them!). Here are some extracts of my mail to the hotel and their reply:

Dear XXXXX,

Many thanks for your e-mail and your Thailand Pass, well received.

I am happy to answer the questions below:

• I obtained my Thailand Pass on 12th of November (pdf attached).

Ø  Yes, your Thailand Pass is approved for the Test&Go scheme, as you have booked with us.

• I downloaded the MorChana app on my mobile and attempted to register. The app scans the Thailand Pass QR code, displays the Thailand Pass information. I had to add my nationality and my passport number. I then got an error message "Invalid Thailand Pass Information". I tried 3 times, no success.

Ø  This I unfortunately cannot answer to you, as the MorChana app is handled by the Government. But I scanned your Thailand Pass, which is accurate and valid. I recommend to retry it from time to time.

• Do I absolutely need to register on MorChana before flying, or is it OK if I just download the app and all further requirements (such as registering) will be met once I arrive in Bangkok?

Ø  Yes, I believe there is no issues, we do have some guests arriving even at the hotel without having the MorChana completely setup, as their system still have issues.

• I could not imagine that there would be an issue with my Thailand Pass since I obtained it in November. As I understand it, and as I read on the Emirates information site (Travel Requirements updated to 28th December), "Applicants who have received their Thailand Pass QR code can enter Thailand under the scheme they have registered"

Ø  Correct, you are able to travel under the Test&Go scheme.

With best regards,

XXXXX General Manager

UNQUOTE

So that sounds very much like a near complete explanation of what is happening, and points clearly to issues with MorChana .... surprise, surprise!

I think it will be right to add my very recent experience getting in to Thailand, from a documents and restrictions pov. I went on the Test & Go program.

1 - Checking in with Emirates at my point of departure in Europe was very easy. I had to show the few documents as specified by the Thai authorities (and Emirates themselves). I had paper prints. The Emirates staff did only a visual inspection of them. They did not mention the Mor Chana app, and btw no one all the way out from ASQ in Bangkok and arrival to my destination up country (I flew domestic in Thailand) ever mentioned it - simple! Also, the Emirates staff at check-in were the only ones I believe who asked to see the health insurance - I had the AIG insurance that comes with the booking with Emirates - no problem (and btw, that's the insurance I used to apply, successfully, for the Thailand Pass in November).

2- Transfer in Dubai : I had to show the Thailand Pass and the PCR test certificate - again, I had paper prints - visual inspection only.

3 - Arrival in Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport : very well organised - I was not surprised as I had gone to Thailand early 2021 already and it was already very well organised. I don't think it took more than 20 minutes to zip through the controls lined up before immigration. It's only there that the Thailand Pass gets scanned. Now, immigration was different from previous. I took a good 5 minutes for myself, and I saw people getting stuck for lengthy questioning at other desks. Why? Because they wanted to have all the details of where after ASQ people were going to be. Previously, they would hardly care about the travelers' address once in Thailand (I sometimes even gave fake addresses just to get the arrival card filled in!). But now, they want to know where you're going, probably they want to be able to trace you if there is a problem like fellow travelers getting COVID-positive, or maybe yourself not getting the second required PCR test done 5-7 days after arrival. Frankly : fair enough, I can see some logic in that.

So, I even had to explain why I could not give the house number of my wife's house, up country. But it was enough to say it's in a small village and everyone knows each other. 

I was picked up out of immigration for transport to the hospital and hotel, together with 2 other people - a young couple from Norway. We went first to a PCR test drive in, then to the hotel.

4 - ASQ hotel: not much to say. Regular room, food was warm but not exciting, it looked and tasted like what you would get in a 7-11. But no complains, that was only for 1 night. Indeed, I got the results of the PCR test within 9 hours - Negative = Free to go. The next day, I checked out and went back to the airport to fly to the province. Nice to see that Suvarnabhumi is far from being as crowded these days as it used to be in normal times, everything goes fast and smooth.

Voilà!