Internet wifi

Jen65

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Then we tried to access the same internet pages at the same time (we talked on the phone). It always worked faster on my PC - even with 1/2 of his connection speed and the same provider.

And his PC and setup was not the problem.

And obviously the connection speed you get will vary depending if your laptop has an Ethernet cable, or connects via Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz, or 5 GHz. I think I once improved things by buying a better Ethernet cable. Makes your head spin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And obviously the connection speed you get will vary depending if your laptop has an Ethernet cable, or connects via Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz, or 5 GHz. I think I once improved things by buying a better Ethernet cable. Makes your head spin. 

For looking at ordinary websites it does not make a difference if people use LAN or WLAN.

It could make a difference i.e. for fast games or (massive) downloads.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jim1000 said:

Well slightly off topic I cannot make a tel call from my condo on 25th floor on Jomtien Beach Road

and have to go to the ground floor  for proper reception. !

Less off-topic and more not particularly unhelpful. It doesn't address the network, exact location, position in the building.

I know someone getting the full whack of the AIS 10 Mbps pack above the 20th floor on Jomtien's Second Road.

So it's not about Jomtien or the height of the building. Same person tried DTAC and whilst it worked, it was slower and less reliable. I had the opposite experience in a low rise building on Jomtien's beach road.

So one really needs to test with all networks if another network proves poor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 12:10 PM, Bruno123 said:

If you can only achieve, say, 15 Mbps; then there is no point in subscribing to the 20 Mbps pack. Saving yourself from paying the extra 100 baht per month.

I already asked what phone you are utilising. Don't make me ask you again.:)

AIS ,  I posted that elsewhere but thanks for any info 

On 1/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Please be aware that a provider which is good in location x doesn't have to be good in location y.

I.e. some time ago I had a conversation with a guy who had the fastest TRUE internet connection which he could get at that time. I had half the speed, also TRUE.

He called me because he had problems with his internet connection.

Then we tried to access the same internet pages at the same time (we talked on the phone). It always worked faster on my PC - even with 1/2 of his connection speed and the same provider.

And his PC and setup was not the problem.

so I guess ,as previously mentioned , one needs to actually do the test from different providers at ones Condo before taking the plunge !

On 1/1/2022 at 4:16 PM, Bruno123 said:

Actually what TOT(now NT) offer is Home Internet supplied via SIM, rather than a mobile service. There is no option for 3G, for instance. LTE Band 40 only. Interestingly, DTAC use the same. Probably a sharing of infrastructure agreement. But only on Band 40.

For as little as 999 baht per annum you get unlimited data at up to 100 Mbps. Yes, that is just over 80 baht per month. Though to get the top speed, you may likely have to have the option for Carrier Aggregation on Band 40 on your device.

You can see that it was easy for us to imagine the OP meant one thing or the other.

Good idea to use my current phone on test using the hotspot method - will do ! thanks 

19 hours ago, Jim1000 said:

Well slightly off topic I cannot make a tel call from my condo on 25th floor on Jomtien Beach Road

and have to go to the ground floor  for proper reception. !

ooops , not good. That may be for the reason another post advised the signal masts look down !!  

On 1/2/2022 at 6:17 AM, jacko45k said:

yes, have ethernet connection and good quality cable 

26 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

so I guess ,as previously mentioned , one needs to actually do the test from different providers at ones Condo before taking the plunge !

If you want to be sure then yes, you have test it. And more than once. I think to do that in a meaningful way it would be a lot of work (different days, times, sites, etc.).

Probably it is easier to ask other people in that building what they use and how they like it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you want to be sure then yes, you have test it. And more than once. I think to do that in a meaningful way it would be a lot of work (different days, times, sites, etc.).

Probably it is easier to ask other people in that building what they use and how they like it. 

Sorry but this is really not right. You can have a different experience from one side of the building to the other; word of mouth recommendation is next to useless.

What works is checking the signal strength available in their apartment; not in the building in general. This is why I have asked about their phone so many times.

If you think tracking down neighbours and quizzing them is quicker than simply wandering around the apartment ONE time looking at signal strength for a SIM, then you should think again.

Different days, times etc is just hyperbole to push them towards your inefficient suggestion..

Apart from anything else, it assumes that any of their immediate neighbours even know that they are using the best possible SIM for their location. Neighbour might be perfectly happy with 4 Mbps.

One signal strength test and one speed test  for each SIM is enough. No need for different days, times, sites...

Once 

The positive thing is that the OP already has a phone and an AIS SIM. But I'm not sure why the speed test has not already been done. As if AIS can give you 10 to 20 Mbps right now, then there would be no need to test any other networks unless you were looking at trying to save money.

Still trying to get which phone ???? 

*777*70# then to hit the dial key:100MB of data volume for 10 baht, is enough to run the speed test.

Do the Combined Test here: https://testmy.net

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jen65 said:

ah, Huawei nova 3i   INE-LX2

I checked my phone for hotspots - different providers inside my Condo and ALL the providers listed (AIS , Dtac , True etc ) only have 3G  service !!  I am going to research / see if any providers have fibre either in my soi or nearby my Condo .  

16 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

I checked my phone for hotspots - different providers inside my Condo and ALL the providers listed (AIS , Dtac , True etc ) only have 3G  service !!  I am going to research / see if any providers have fibre either in my soi or nearby my Condo .  

What about the speeds available with the network? SPEEDS. It's painful having to ask the same things over and over again ????

Speeds...what speeds are you getting with AIS? ???? What speeds with Truemove H? What speeds with DTAC?

3G is not the point. You can still get high speeds via 3G.

Check for signal strength whilst you are at it: Go to the Settings app > About phone > Status > SIM status > Signal Strength. 

We need actual figures. Please pay attention. The details are important ???? 

Are both of your SIM slots 4G/LTE capable?

Your phone supports 3CA(which would be useful if you had 4G/LTE coverage: https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us00423534/

Thanks to all who gave me good advise here and hopefully passed on to others !   I eventually stuck with my previous provider 3BB and they installed at my new address .I was more than happy in the past with 3BB so saw no reason to change unnecessarily but certainly the info on wifi internet was useful .  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

late to this post...but how does one get "test sims" to try out?  

Test SIMs?

You can get a prepaid SIM for each provider (AIS, DTAC, True) for little money like 100 Baht or so at about every mobile phone booth or shop.

With them you can first test the signal strength at your location(s).

After that you can check with the provider for a one day package with max or some high speed.

Then do speed tests.

Not sure whether I got your question right.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you cannot just simply buy a SIM card from AIS or DTAC or whoever ....   a SIM and mobile number has to be registered either by using a passport or ID card.   

You can buy and then register as I appended.

I bought my internet SIM online and after receiving did register online.

But thanks for contribution.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Sad 1