What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

Who Killed Billie-Jo?

A good documentary.

RAR

Examining the unsolved case of 13-year-old Billie-Jo Jenkins, who was murdered on the patio of her seaside home in 1997. This documentary reveals how and why Sion Jenkins, Billie-Jo's foster father, was initially convicted of the murder, only to be acquitted following a high-profile appeal and two major retrials at the Old Bailey.

Watched True Life Crime U.K. last night as recommended on here .

2 seasons. (2021-2022)

While the series was interesting and emotional as dealt with murders of teenagers mostly it was totally spoilt by the amateur narration of MTV reporter Linda Adey .

Her butchering of the English language is annoying to say the least and her attempt to convince us she is investigating the cases is comical.

To much turning in slow motion to face the camera and striding purposely to meet family members and police etc turned this from a serious documentary into more of a high school video project.

The imdb rating of 5.4 should have been enough for me to skip this. ????

• Like 1

Black Mirror is a pretty hard hitting , entertaining drama series that is very thought provoking and at times disturbing with its views of the frightening influences of media, technology,  social media, behavioural science, gaming and the abuse of power by state and corporate entities.  Charlie Brooker has created a new genre of speculative fiction with a debt to Philip K Dick, Kurt Vonnegut et al in which humanity and technology collide to make entertaining but uncomfortable viewing. All episodes are different. An easy on to follow is 'Shut up and dance' about a teenager blackmailed about masturbation.
A very deep episode is 'White Christmas ' about manipulation and mental torture.
Another famous episode 'The National  Anthem' features a Prime Minister forced to have sex with a pig.
'The Waldo Moment' exposes media mass manipulation.

Definitely worth taking a look at. Very well paced dramas driven by intelligent narratives. But disturbing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Black Mirror is a pretty hard hitting , entertaining drama series that is very thought provoking and at times disturbing with its views of the frightening influences of media, technology,  social media, behavioural science, gaming and the abuse of power by state and corporate entities.  Charlie Brooker has created a new genre of speculative fiction with a debt to Philip K Dick, Kurt Vonnegut et al in which humanity and technology collide to make entertaining but uncomfortable viewing. All episodes are different. An easy on to follow is 'Shut up and dance' about a teenager blackmailed about masturbation.
A very deep episode is 'White Christmas ' about manipulation and mental torture.
Another famous episode 'The National  Anthem' features a Prime Minister forced to have sex with a pig.
'The Waldo Moment' exposes media mass manipulation.

Definitely worth taking a look at. Very well paced dramas driven by intelligent narratives. But disturbing.

Yes, I watched Black Mirror (5 seasons) last year. Very good series IMHO.

On 2/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, Will27 said:

Louis Theroux's Forbidden America

RAR

Louis is always worth a look.

Summary: Louis Theroux returns to the USA to explore the impact of the internet and social media on some of the most controversial corners of American society.

I will be more impressed by LT when he does a documentary around the thousands of mosques in the UK to give us insights into quite a hidden and misunderstood religion and movement.

LT fell into disgrace for his obsequious documentary about notorious paedophile Jimmy Saville.

I wonder if his latest documentary on right wing nutters might empower them more than deflate them..They seemed a hopless pathetic bunch worthy of a comedy rather than a drama..

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I will be more impressed by LT when he does a documentary around the thousands of mosques in the UK to give us insights into quite a hidden and misunderstood religion and movement.

LT fell into disgrace for his obsequious documentary about notorious paedophile Jimmy Saville.

I wonder if his latest documentary on right wing nutters might empower them more than deflate them..They seemed a hopless pathetic bunch worthy of a comedy rather than a drama..

Exposing what goes on in Mosques and madras 'schools' seem to have become a no go area after this one was aired many years ago!

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Magpie Murders----6 episodes all out---- UK -PBS ............I got from Chaos

Don't usually download but IMDB are giving it an 8--saying the acting is good--+ other write ups are good--- Switches from 1955 to present day.

**Blurb--Susan Ryeland, the editor of the 'Atticus Pund' detective novels, receives a new manuscript but its unfinished and the author is... The drama switches between the present day and the fictional 1955 plot of the book. Its very cleverly done.
Adapted by Anthony Horowitz (Foyle's War) from his own book--- I was expecting something decent and it doesn't disappoint. If you want a well-written and acted period detective series with some modern twists, dive in you'll love it. Principal cast were all very good and at 45m an episode it breezes by.

Thanks @sanuk711. Downloading from TGx now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I grew up with The Beach Boys music but was totally unaware of the 'real' Brian Wilson until I stumbled across this today.  If you havn't yet seen it, whether you like the Beach Boys or not, you may find it very interesting.

Love and Mercy (2015)  IMDB 7.4

On 2/15/2022 at 2:08 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Watched True Life Crime U.K. last night as recommended on here .

2 seasons. (2021-2022)

While the series was interesting and emotional as dealt with murders of teenagers mostly it was totally spoilt by the amateur narration of MTV reporter Linda Adey .

Her butchering of the English language is annoying to say the least and her attempt to convince us she is investigating the cases is comical.

To much turning in slow motion to face the camera and striding purposely to meet family members and police etc turned this from a serious documentary into more of a high school video project.

The imdb rating of 5.4 should have been enough for me to skip this. ????

Totally agree with your whole post, I found Adey's performance totally off-putting and amateurish.  Without her it may have been a good production.

• Like 1

Bodyline (1984)  IMDB 8.5

At school I was forced to play cricket and hated it because for me the only summer sport in my mind was swimming.  Even so, and considering I have seen it before, I thoroughly enjoyed  this mini series the second time (even though I really wanted to jump through the screen and give Hugo Weaving a good smack in the mouth a few times lol.).

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Starts off well but soon goes into the diversity land fantasy which has become almost routine these days. First episode shows a black vicar and family with a young black girl going out with a white guy. In a rural English village, in the mid 50's? The young have been brainwashed to think this was normal, instead of what it really is which is re writing of reality, yes we know it's fiction so why never a black murderer, rapist or thief?

So it ticks the box's then Clive..................:omfg:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

I grew up with The Beach Boys music but was totally unaware of the 'real' Brian Wilson until I stumbled across this today.  If you havn't yet seen it, whether you like the Beach Boys or not, you may find it very interesting.

Thanks for that - missed it first time around.

Never a fan of their music - to sugary and sweet for me - but there is no doubting his talent.

That "doctor" should be drawn and quartered.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, seedy said:

Never a fan of their music - to sugary and sweet for me - but there is no doubting his talent.

Yep I think the doctor was skimming otherwise if he was the doctor only, why would he have pressurised Brian to produce more?  Brian also commented about how he was coerced to sign documents he didnt understand.  Sounds a bit like the Howard Hughes story.

3 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

If you liked that, you will probably enjoy this one from last year.

I did.

• Thanks 1

Just started watching this new series.

The Real Death in Paradise.

Lime.

Summary: Murder in Paradise is a docu-drama series detailing jaw-dropping stories of dream getaways torn apart by a horrific murder. Exploring tropical vacations gone wrong, the six-part series tells stories of vacations that end with murder. A gripping murder-mystery, this series twists and turns through shocking cases to reveal sensational real life plots, against the backdrop of the world’s most stunning vacation spots. Each episode tells the story of how an idyllic trip in paradise turned deadly, and takes viewers through the compelling investigation that followed. The first episode focuses on Julie Scully, who went missing in Athens in 1999.

A private detective learns that her younger boyfriend had a suspicious past. Other episodes will cover former boxing champ Arturo Gatti, who died at a resort in Brazil; and other vacation murders set in Tijuana, Mexico; Bimini Island in the Bahamas; Golfito, Costa Rica; and Cannes, France.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, seedy said:

The Beach Boys were connected to Doris Days son weren't they ? I think he wrote for the Birds and  some music for most of the other groups around that era.....?