What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

Our Planet Netflix with Sir David Attenborough.

May he live long, what a man, what a life, what a hero!

Sad to think what we doing to this planet. Slow suicide for human beings, animals and nature.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I just watched a 1996 movie which i hadn't seen, Sleepers, Terrific performances from a great cast.

Yes I remember reading the book, a best seller. -With some controversy -- it started being a top seller in the non Fiction section until some jurno's started digging and asking questions that  Lorenzo Carcaterra wouldn't (couldn't) answer.

Got quietly moved to fiction..... but still a good read & movie.

5 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

1883 - Great scenery and some great characters.

Show creator, along with Yellowstone, Mayor of Kingstown, Taylor Sheridan (cameo in 1883 episode 7 as  Charles Goodnight) has a boatload of projects in development, with the next up being "The Tulsa King" with Sylvester Stallone, in his return to TV for Paramount +.

• Like 1

Yosi, the Regretful Spy

Episode 1 was excellent.

RAR

Summary: An Argentinean intelligence agent infiltrates the Jewish community to gather information that is then allegedly used to perpetrate two of the worst terrorist attacks in Latin American history, leaving over 100 dead.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 11:26 AM, xylophone said:

OOPS.......I wrongly posted this on the TV thread, so here it is on the correct one!

I watched a new adventure movie last night called "Uncharted" and as it had Mark Wahlberg in it, I was looking forward to it............but it turned out to be a lot of CGI lightweight nonsense, along the lines of "Indiana Jones" but nowhere near the quality.

The night before I downloaded, "Spotlight" (again) and as luck would have it, I managed to get an extremely good quality version of it, and thoroughly enjoyed it yet again!

And just last night I was perusing the BBC iPlayer for something to watch and came across the movie, "Official Secrets" starring Keira Knightley and Ralf Fiennes, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and what surprised me was how corrupt both the US and UK governments were in sanctioning the war against Iraq using fake Intel (WOMD anybody) which resulted in around 200,000 civilians being killed needlessly.

A good film and well worth a watch.....the ending takes a turn!!!!

I've just watched Official Secrets and enjoyed it. Very good IMHO. Thanks for the recommendation @xylophone

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

Signora Volpe--- Spy/Drama--- Acorn TV*** UK ---3 episodes 2/May

Another Mini series  IMDB gives this a 7.8 and the News print write ups rate it highly----but what do they know....:w00t:

Disillusioned with her work at MI6, spy Sylvia Fox travels to Italy for the wedding of her niece. Although her relationship with her sister, Isabel, is troubled, Sylvia is welcomed warmly by her family. But when the groom goes missing, leaving a dead woman behind, Sylvia feels compelled to investigate. The trail leads her from an empty pizza box and stolen children's book to a deadly showdown.

***Acorn Media Group has distributed British television in the United States since 1994, originally selling VHS tapes before moving into DVD and Blu-ray media.

Looks promising @sanuk711. Thanks

After several comments / recommendations, I've watched a few episodes of season 1 of Slow Horses. It's very good IMHO. Worth a look. As usual a great performance from Gary Oldman. Got it from TGx.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

[re: Sleepers(1996)]

Yes I remember reading the book, a best seller. -With some controversy -- it started being a top seller in the non Fiction section until some jurno's started digging and asking questions that  Lorenzo Carcaterra wouldn't (couldn't) answer.

Got quietly moved to fiction..... but still a good read & movie.

Saw this one a few times.

I think parts of the story were too cynical for people to accept: the NY judicial system, the priest, and the prison guards in particular.  Having grown up in that environment in the same era (in a different but similar part of town) the story makes sense to me.  The press couldn't verify it because they weren't supposed to, the author was clever enough; "Hell's Kitchen" is the notorious rough neighborhood of NYC because it's near to midtown and the theatre district, and has been mentioned in movies going back to the 1930s.  But there are other areas just as rough, and I suspect the real story took place in one of those.

My contention was DeNiro's priest character.  Yeah, nearly every parish has a younger priest who plays softball with the local lads, but I've never seen, or heard of, a Catholic priest as cool as that.

BTW, Carcaterra sometimes writes and directs Law & Order episodes.  Or at least did back in the Orbach days.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

BTW, Carcaterra sometimes writes and directs Law & Order episodes.  Or at least did back in the Orbach days.

It was a fascinating read----but he should have distance himself from it because it became  obvious it was untrue saying that he was one of those involved.

This was his 2nd book 2 years before he had written "A Safe Place" which was his life story--with no mention of this small incident.

Then the Catholic School that he attended came forward with his school records showing that in all the years he had spent there -days missed totaled 20 --with 3 consecutive days being the longest. Asked by the New York Times how he managed to fit his sentence in there--he refused to answer.

The DAs office stated that no such prosecution had ever taken place, & As the hole got deeper and the idea that a bunch of kids could get acquitted of murdering a school official without any news coverage whatsoever seemed  fairly extraordinary. His publisher quietly moved the book to their fiction section. Then a reporter  discovered (through one of his friends ) some of the books he had Pillaged --Got a few ideas from.

As you mentioned bendejo--- among them, the 1990 book The Westies, a story about a notorious Irish gang from Hell’s Kitchen.

By cutting and splicing, Carcaterra mended his tale together, selling it as though it were the real thing & he was involved in it.

Pity really because it has followed him & reflected on the rest of his life's writing--- and the mad this was I think it would have sold just as well as a fiction book.

19 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

It was a fascinating read----but he should have distance himself from it because it became  obvious it was untrue saying that he was one of those involved.

I wasn't aware of all this.  Yes, he should not have claimed he was personally involved, better to keep all things that could be verified anonymous, as all it takes is one thin thread to unravel it all.

On the other hand the "Father Bobby" character and the local capo (played by Gassman) could have influenced the records.

But overall I think this is a film every kid should see, as it shows how just one stupid prank could go wrong and affect the rest of your life.  For a good double bill add it to the Brit film Let Him Have It

Carcaterra did a Law & Order based on true incident at an Italian supper club in upper Manhattan, but the episode takes place in another such neighborhood, one that I spent part of my formative years in, which has had me wondering.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just watched the first 2 episodes (of 4) from season 1 (of 3) of Hinterland.

I watched all 3 seasons a while ago.

AKA: Y Gwyll 

Good series. Welsh Wallander. 

In the long line of fish out of water, big city DCI has spousal issues, trauma from a big city event/personal tragedy, gets sent to the countryside, where, amazingly, murders occur at an alarming rate. Eventually they come to terms with their trauma.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:04 PM, sanuk711 said:

Signora Volpe--- Spy/Drama--- Acorn TV*** UK ---3 episodes 2/May

Another Mini series  IMDB gives this a 7.8 and the News print write ups rate it highly----but what do they know....:w00t:

Disillusioned with her work at MI6, spy Sylvia Fox travels to Italy for the wedding of her niece. Although her relationship with her sister, Isabel, is troubled, Sylvia is welcomed warmly by her family. But when the groom goes missing, leaving a dead woman behind, Sylvia feels compelled to investigate. The trail leads her from an empty pizza box and stolen children's book to a deadly showdown.

***Acorn Media Group has distributed British television in the United States since 1994, originally selling VHS tapes before moving into DVD and Blu-ray media.

Watched the almost 90 minutes of Episode 1 of Signora Volpe which has an 8.3/10 rating.

A review from IMDb summed up my exact thoughts . The only thing I can add is that my mobile phone could have produced better cinematography.

Unoriginal cliched nonsense in nice settings, rated 2/10

"Dig up some old familiar female faces, rehash every terrible espionage/murder screenplay that's ever been rejected and hand over the screenplay duties to a bored nine-year-old girl and you have THIS incredibly cringeworthy cack-handed piece of juvenile tripe."

teachermarkthailand's Review of Signora Volpe - IMDb

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

've just watched the first 2 episodes (of 4) from season 1 (of 3) of Hinterland.

What a dark drama that was-- But well written and acted.

If you like that darkness Mutt  "The Fall" would be a must for you.

------------------------------

IMDB

9/10

Exceptionally well-written, directed, and acted. VERY dark and scary

This is  one reason why I like British television. Anyway, this show scared the bejesus out of me showing everything in such stark, real detail.
It's very very scary to see someone who has such an ordinary life (wife, kids, job) being such an evil person on the inside.
If you like British television and you like VERY DARK shows, this show will probably rock your socks off. Me? I don't know if I can handle how dark it is in spite of its excellence.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Pity I haven't had the time to have a look at it---but was hopping for better ...... oh well back to Tom Cruise then ......:w00t:

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Pity I haven't had the time to have a look at it---but was hopping for better ...... oh well back to Tom Cruise then ......:w00t:

Don't take it personally as I really appreciate your posts. Thanks for the good work!

• Haha 1

Just now, LosLobo said:

Don't take it personally as I really appreciate your posts. Thanks for the good work!

No I dont mate---I was really hopping for something to replace "Slow Horses" ..... the write ups were quiet good.

I should probably move away from IMDB....I vote on it & have got used to the lay out, but their ratings are sometimes way off.

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

No I dont mate---I was really hopping for something to replace "Slow Horses" ..... the write ups were quiet good.

I should probably move away from IMDB....I vote on it & have got used to the lay out, but their ratings are sometimes way off.

I think IMDb is really good, I have never seen anything better. I have found with most ratings on newly released productions the reviewers must have some skin in the game as they are usually highly biased and don't reflect reality.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

What a dark drama that was-- But well written and acted.

If you like that darkness Mutt  "The Fall" would be a must for you.

------------------------------

IMDB

9/10

Exceptionally well-written, directed, and acted. VERY dark and scary

This is  one reason why I like British television. Anyway, this show scared the bejesus out of me showing everything in such stark, real detail.
It's very very scary to see someone who has such an ordinary life (wife, kids, job) being such an evil person on the inside.
If you like British television and you like VERY DARK shows, this show will probably rock your socks off. Me? I don't know if I can handle how dark it is in spite of its excellence.

Thanks @sanuk711. Yes, I do like dark shows. I've already watched the 3 seasons of The Fall and agree it was very good.

44 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Watched the almost 90 minutes of Episode 1 of Signora Volpe which has an 8.3/10 rating.

A review from IMDb summed up my exact thoughts . The only thing I can add is that my mobile phone could have produced better cinematography.

"Dig up some old familiar female faces, rehash every terrible espionage/murder screenplay that's ever been rejected and hand over the screenplay duties to a bored nine-year-old girl and you have THIS incredibly cringeworthy cack-handed piece of juvenile tripe."

teachermarkthailand's Review of Signora Volpe - IMDb

@LosLobo thanks for the heads up. I won't bother downloading it now, even though I had a look on IMDB and it looked "promising" to me. TBH I don't set much store by IMDB reviews & high ratings, however if IMDB rates the show less than 7, then it usually means the show is pretty dire IMHO.

• Like 1