What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

The Essex Serpent-----Apple TV- 6 episodes 2 out then weekly----ChaosTV  screened 13/5

Not for everyone a little slow, but with good actors --Claire Danes and Tom Hiddleston--many others -Love triangle. I think I just downloaded it, because I grew up there..:coffee1:

Follows London widow Cora Seaborne who moves to Essex to investigate reports of a mythical serpent. She forms a bond of science and skepticism with the pastor, but when tragedy strikes, locals accuse her of attracting the creature. Set in 1893 Around Maldon Essex

image.png.bead8efe2c386fcf924554d6d5df0226.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm looking forward  to the new Michael  Connelly  TV series  featuring The Lincoln  Lawer

I binged this. 9.5/10 for me.

I haven't read the books, so can't comment on the faithfulness to the original material. Have to assume that, as an Executive Producer, Michael Connelly was happy with the results?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I binged this. 9.5/10 for me.

I haven't read the books, so can't comment on the faithfulness to the original material. Have to assume that, as an Executive Producer, Michael Connelly was happy with the results?

I didn't realise it was out yet - thanks

BTW Have you seen Goliath with BB Thornton

7 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Not for everyone a little slow, but with good actors --Claire Danes and Tom Hiddleston--many others -Love triangle. I think I just downloaded it, because I grew up there..:coffee1:

I just downloaded 'Grace' because I came from Brighton.

Decent police detective series, nice scenery.

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, bert bloggs said:

Just on episode 2 of a new series Whitstable pearl ,well its ok but my god do they have to tick so many boxes ,the main charector runs a bar and is a private eye on the side ,she has a half cast son ,onther mixed race couple are a white man with a black wife ,the lead detective is black and now in ep 2 there are a black and white gay couple,cant wait for the non binery them in a wheelchair???? i have been to Whitstable many times  never realized it was so diverse.

Actually a year old I thought you were referring to series 2 which having checked will be out late 2022 early 2023.

During the last few months I've watched and enjoyed:

"The Last Kingdom" (liked "Vikings" more, partly because of the nudity and sexuality, partly because the plot device of the hero's relationship with Alfred on "Kingdom" gets repetitive although they kept it interesting);

"Halt and Catch Fire" (Advise skipping the final season - some excruciatingly awful episodes with every actor having their "moment);

"Official Secrets".

Thank you to those who recommended them.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I didn't realise it was out yet - thanks

BTW Have you seen Goliath with BB Thornton

I watched S01E01, not impressed, but both are David E. Kelly creations.

The reviews on Goliath were not so good, and Billy Bob Thornton, meh, one-trick pony. 

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The reviews on Goliath were not so good, and Billy Bob Thornton, meh, one-trick pony. 

I think I was disappointed with Goliath too. I hope I'm not disappointed  with LL - I had assumed  it was the same production team as Bosch

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:
7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I think I was disappointed with Goliath too. I hope I'm not disappointed  with LL - I had assumed  it was the same production team as Bosch

I thought Goliath was great. IMHO BBT was ace.

So, I've got to disagree with both of you two chaps.

It would be sooo boring if we all had the same views / opinions?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I thought Goliath was great. IMHO BBT was ace.

I'm going to checkout  Goliath again..I usually give most shows a couple  of tries before I give  up  on them

Edited by The Hammer2021

22 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

During the last few months I've watched and enjoyed:

"The Last Kingdom" (liked "Vikings" more, partly because of the nudity and sexuality, partly because the plot device of the hero's relationship with Alfred on "Kingdom" gets repetitive although they kept it interesting);

"Halt and Catch Fire" (Advise skipping the final season - some excruciatingly awful episodes with every actor having their "moment);

"Official Secrets".

Thank you to those who recommended them.

I thought The Last Kingdom was very good. I also enjoyed Official Secrets. Both are well worth a look IMHO. Haven't seen Halt & catch Fire, so can't comment on that.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:54 AM, TooBigToFit said:

Just found some extra stuff for Better Call Saul fans. The first one comes from AMC channel.

Just saw that American Greed James.McGill, it's a parody of those "hard-hitting" investigative reporting shows, treats the story as if Saul was a real-life character, pretty funny.  The Kettlemans are in there!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 2:32 AM, KhunLA said:

Even showed up in the original series, with Shatner & Nimoy.  Was watching 'Discovery' till this latest season started and lost interest.  Did catch the episodes of recent Pike in Discovery and downloaded the new version, but didn't get around to watching yet.  

Guess if it's a 5 yr run, we know how that character will end, as was shown in Discovery, unless they mystically change the timeline ... yet again ????

I seem to recall something about Pike dying in a state of disgrace in "ST: Into Darkness,"  am I wrong?  I was trying to recall while watching this first episode, where he can see his own death.  Think I'll pass on this one.  I'm with you on Discovery, seems to be more centered on the inter-relationships of the crew members than sci-fi.

21 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I seem to recall something about Pike dying in a state of disgrace in "ST: Into Darkness,"  am I wrong?  I was trying to recall while watching this first episode, where he can see his own death.  Think I'll pass on this one.  I'm with you on Discovery, seems to be more centered on the inter-relationships of the crew members than sci-fi.

I think you're mixing up Admiral Pike, who gets bumped off at the big meeting by Khan, with Admiral Marcus, who wanted to start a war, and who Khan kills at the end.

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

I seem to recall something about Pike...

Spoiler alert?

Time travel, and the Kelvin timeline confuse many. ST:SNW stands on its own. I liked ep. 2, and the return to episodic shows.

16 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Odd that you go right to "disagree"? You're simply stating your own opinion. And I respect your opinion.

16 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Of course. Who would suggest otherwise? I mean other than you.

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm going to checkout  Goliath again..I usually give most shows a couple  of tries before I give  up  on them

Took me several attempts but eventually got into it. Season 1 and 2 were good. Gave up with season 3.

18 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yeah, I factor in reviews of friends and internet reviewers I've bonded with too. I take recommendations here under advisement only, then do my own research. Enjoyed quite a few gems.

Look, I've watched and enjoyed hundreds (~500?) of David E. Kelly's courtroom/legal dramas over the years. Boston Legal, Ally McBeal, LA Law, The Practice, and other shows of his like Picket Fences. That I don't like one isn't all that shocking?

BTW, it was cool to see LisaGay Hamilton, from The Practice, in The Lincoln Lawyer as Judge Mary Holder.

If you missed Heartstoppers

you missed something great. Its not only for young adult and gay viewers. Its G rated. The two leads are now instant international stars.. Good news now is there will be a second season where some of the minor characters in season one will be developed.

Heartstopper heart warming.

Edited by Jingthing

"Don't Look Up" is a great political satire which I'm sure that most of us can relate to. It's funny and at the same time sad, probably because it's mostly believable. One of last year's best movies, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:28 AM, sanuk711 said:

The Essex Serpent-----Apple TV- 6 episodes 2 out then weekly----ChaosTV  screened 13/5

Follows London widow Cora Seaborne who moves to Essex to investigate reports of a mythical serpent. She forms a bond of science and skepticism with the pastor, but when tragedy strikes, locals accuse her of attracting the creature. Set in 1893 Around Maldon Essex

image.png.bead8efe2c386fcf924554d6d5df0226.png

I thought this might be about an actual serpent eating the people there. I'd enjoy that much more than what it appears to be. Just me.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 10:52 AM, mtls2005 said:

While I saw this trailer a while ago, and the film has opened in a limited release, the number of disparate reviewers gushing about it (best film of the year so far) make it one which will have to be sought out and viewed.

Everything Everywhere All at Once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxN1T1uxQ2g&t=1s

From the amazing production company  A24. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/everything_everywhere_all_at_once

Streaming now on Amazon Prime, and thus downloadable.

Also playing in theatres here.

• Like 1