SURVEY: Electric vehicles, is Thailand ready?

Scott

SURVEY: Electric vehicles, is Thailand ready?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Already charging my EV from excess solar in the middle of the day.

spacer.png

That looks good.

I was looking at an MG ZS EV. The only issue would be that we tend to do a lot of longer trips which would require stops and at the time a couple of years ago finding a charging point might have been a problem although I think MG dealerships have them. It would definitely work on a normal daily basis for my wife going to work and normal day to day trips. I did consider buying but keeping my Honda Jazz for longer trips although that's 10 years old now and had done 185,000 km when I left in September 2020 so will have done more now. Using solar seems another good move.

If and when I get back I may look at it again. If not I'll probably go for a hybrid like the Toyota Corolla Cross. I've got a Prius in the UK and that works well.

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I don't think most EVs do 100kph in 4 sec so that shouldn't make things worse.

Most EVs will accelerate like a bat out of hell, and maybe they won’t reach 100 kph in 4 seconds; the average is still 7.7 seconds. Many will do it in less than 6 seconds. There’s a Tesla that does it in 2.1 seconds. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

None of the voting options provided really fit.

So I went for the one that probably comes closest to the realities on the ground, "If China goes green, Thailand will follow".

As China has absolutely no plans (nor the necessary infrastructure) for "going green" in the broadest sense and anytime soon, Thailand won't "go green" either.

If in this case the going green means EV , then you are wrong . China is mass producing solar panels , lithium batteries , electric scooters and have a few car brands on the market which only are electric powered . I am not saying EV are green , but that's what they like to "sell" .

Anyway , in such case , China is going very green .

On the other hand , Thailand will go there but slow . The price is the main objective and 2nd is service/reliable of the technology . There are many cars and scooters on the road , but also many which do have a "age" . Spending 1 million and more on a car is for many a extremely large investment , much more then most can handle . It can still be ok , since resell values are very good in Thailand and service is extremely cheap . With a EV, there is the problem of the unknown , and also the problem of the known . Meaning , batteries are known in Thailand to have a short lifecycle . This is due to several reasons , but that also means that EV's will be put in the same corner for some years to come .Most Thai still don't know the difference between a AA , lead acid , lithium and all other kinds of batteries and how to use them .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Netherland ... 3.8 per 100k ... ????

Thailand ... ~10.1 ... per 100k (32.7 - 73% = 10.1)  ????

USA ... 12 per 100k  ????

Luxemburg ... 8.7 

I did say western countries, not which one, USA - the motherland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Back on Topic ... how many killed in / on EVs ... I'm feeling lucky ????

USA:38k annual road deaths is Ridiculous.What’s going on there ? 55mph limit too…..what was rate with the old 70 mph limit ?same limit as UK now.

UK :1,500 with 67 mill pop x 5 to match USA =7.5k = USA 5x worse than UK.

Thailand: 25k ARD & same pop as UK is 16x worse than UK.

10 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

USA:38k annual road deaths is Ridiculous.What’s going on there ? 55mph limit too…..what was rate with the old 70 mph limit ?same limit as UK now.

UK :1,500 with 67 mill pop x 5 to match USA =7.5k = USA 5x worse than UK.

Thailand: 25k ARD & same pop as UK is 16x worse than UK.

The 55mph speed limit in the US ended long ago. 

I would have chosen a poll option that read "no, Thailand will adopt hydrogen-fueled vehicles as the better technological option"

That is something all countries should do, except maybe for vehicles that run every day such as public buses.

Concentrate on hydrogen technology and agree on a standard for standardized swappable hydrogen fuel-cells.

Build safe, decentralized nuclear power plants to produce hydrogen and refill used fuel cells.

It's an excellent use case for running nuclear plants at 100% capacity and maximum efficiency.

People don't think enough about electric vehicles needing to run 50.000 miles before their emissions break even with petrol cars.

Edited by tgw

23 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Most Thai can’t drive worth sh*t, just look at the many, many fatalities in Thai traffic every day, so the last thing they need is a vehicle that can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in about 4 seconds. 

Irrelevant to the question as put init?

I was looking at an MG ZS EV. The only issue would be that we tend to do a lot of longer trips

Unfortunately, MG's long range version has a ground clearance of only 11.5 cm which makes it less suitable for rougher Thai roads and driveways. Same problem with Tesla's Model 3.

9 hours ago, DekDaeng said:

Ko tort kup. 

Source?

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2020/01/108182-overcoming-high-carbon-debt-electric-vehicle-production

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/lifetime-carbon-emissions-electric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

http://blogs.ulg.ac.be/damien-ernst/electric-697612-km-to-become-green-true-or-false/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/25/are-electric-vehicles-really-so-climate-friendly

Thailand's energy production mix of 90% fossil-based must be taken into account when calculating the mileage for break even in emissions.

a mid-sized electric passenger car in Germany must drive 219,000 km before it starts outperforming the corresponding diesel car in terms of CO2 emissions. The problem, of course, is that passenger cars in Europe last for only 180,000km, on average. Worse, according to Joanneum, EV batteries don’t last long enough to achieve that distance in the first place. Unfortunately, drivers’ anxiety about the cars’ range prompts them to recharge their batteries too often, at every opportunity, and at a high speed, which is bad for durability.

(the Guardian)

Tried to read the Guardian article quoted above and was warned that it was over 2 years old.

Any reports quoting studies done in Germany are probably quoting a debunked Institute for Economic Research study.

https://www.transportenvironment.org/discover/electric-car-hatchet-job-debunked/

Here is something more recent from Bloomberg https://about.bnef.com/blog/the-lifecycle-emissions-of-electric-vehicles/

CO2 EV.jpg

Edited by Bandersnatch

20 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Tried to read the Guardian article quoted above and was warned that it was over 2 years old.

Two years ago we were getting the now well contradicted (fake) news that masks were not effective and need not be worn..... which was an attempt to retain supplies for medical services.....