Thailand reports 3,112 new COVID-19 cases, 12 deaths, 2,921 recoveries

Jonathan Fairfield

HLDP3DJ665K3TDTTEDA3INHTMI.jpeg

File photo

Thailand on Sunday (2 Jan) reported 3,112 new COVID-19 cases, 12 deaths, 2,921 recoveries.

Sunday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,229,558 with 21,720 deaths.

On Saturday, the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said response teams have been set up to confront any outbreak that may occur going into the new year, while authorities remain adamant about not reimposing sweeping lockdowns.

Gen Supot Malaniyom, secretary-general of the National Security Council (NSC), said the government is concerned for the wellbeing of all groups of people, especially during this New Year period when there will be activities that present risks for spreading COVID-19.

Gen Supot, who is also head of operations at the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said everyone will be able to pull through the crisis if they observe measures issued by the Ministry of Public Health.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-02

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Is Thailand deliberately capping testing, with Omicron having lower virulence

I have thought this for a long time, ever since I done a quick analysis of the figures during the last wave? I don’t have the figures to hand but what I can remember is Thailand having a mortality rate several times higher than the rest of the world when compared to to the amount of declared positive cases?

It may have been the simple explanation that indeed whilst the virus wasn’t transmitting as much in Thailand when compared to the rest of the world, it was proving more deadly? However, when you factored in the official number of tests carried out, it suggested what you are saying to be true?

There again, this is ‘Amazing’ Thailand?

Edited by Trip Hop

Numbers are going up, although they are higher because the don't announce the ATK tests anymore.. Besides after 30th December nobody heard anything anymore about the Omicron infections.. Everything must be keep quiet and the situation I think is worse than we know 

The under-reporting of numbers in Thailand do not go well with their new "Thailand Trusted Destination" campaign.  It is pretty clear what is happening here.  Most people can see through this propaganda.  It does not bode well for Thailand.  We should know what the truth is so everyone can make judgements concerning their daily lives.  

1 hour ago, Trip Hop said:

I don’t have the figures to hand but what I can remember is Thailand having a mortality rate several times higher than the rest of the world when compared to to the amount of declared positive cases?

There again, this is ‘Amazing’ Thailand?

It might have something to do with the sheer fact that Sinovac is a widely known as an inefficient vaccine at best?

In Pattaya apparently there was a group tested and 80% had Omicron... The same in Suvarnabhumi a Thai news site there was story that mentioned that there was a lot of Omicron... But we don't read anything here...Of course they have said no lockdown after New Year, but they make so much restrictions that is seems a lock down. My partner just mentioned that in a hospital only 1 relative was allowed to visit...   

1 minute ago, NanaSomchai said:

It might have something to do with the sheer fact that Sinovac is a widely known as an inefficient vaccine at best?

Ergo why even with a Pfizer booster in August a young lady has now tested positive from Omicrom after leaving Bangkok and heading to her grandfathers funeral in Nakhon Si Thamarat on December 28th.  She works at a hospital here in BKK, and your guess is as good as mine as to where she picked it up. Story in the paper we can not link to.

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Top 10 Provinces for new cases: Chonburi 442 Bangkok 366 Ubon Ratchathani 304 Nakhon Si Thammarat 128 Khon Kaen 100 Samut Prakan 90 Chiang Mai 85 Phuket 84 Udon Thani 65 Rayong 57

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1477517164051533824

To see Chonburi ahead of Bangkok makes one wonder what the next two weeks will bring in both locales as folks return back to Bangkok and then work.  Guess working from home will be the norm again for awhile which will keep those cases low as they will only ATK test.  Of course my view as always seems a little skewed.

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Pattaya and Banglamung cases rise, 81 percent of recently randomly tested infections are Omicron in the area says Chonburi’s top doctor

The Chonburi Provincial Public Health Deputy Director Doctor Wichai Tanasophon spoke with the associated Thai press this morning, January 2nd, 2022, regarding rapidly rising Covid-19 numbers in Banglamung and Pattaya and stated the following: “Many confirmed Covid -19 cases were found in Banglamung recently. Since December 22nd the infection rate has rapidly increased and continues to increase.”

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/02/pattaya-and-banglamung-cases-rise-81-percent-of-recently-randomly-tested-infections-are-omicron-in-the-area-says-chonburis-top-doctor/

I guess that's related

Update: The Chonburi Governor released a new order late last night just before midnight specifically for food and beverage businesses, especially those that sell alcohol in Pattaya, Nongprue, and Banglamung. 

Similar to the order we posted yesterday, the following things must take place:

1. All staff, including musicians, performers, entertainers, etc must take a rapid antigen Covid19 test daily.

2. All customers, regardless of the size of the venue and regardless of the customers vaccination or recovery status, must take a Covid-19 antigen test within 72 hours of the current time period to dine-in. The venue can arrange for on site testing or accept qualified test results.

3. If a venue is unwilling or unable to meet the first two points they must shut immediately until/if restrictions are eased.

There is NO expiration date, the order is until further notice.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/02/chonburi-governor-releases-late-night-updated-orders-around-covid-19-and-food-and-beverage-establishments/

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

In Pattaya apparently there was a group tested and 80% had Omicron... The same in Suvarnabhumi a Thai news site there was story that mentioned that there was a lot of Omicron... But we don't read anything here...Of course they have said no lockdown after New Year, but they make so much restrictions that is seems a lock down. My partner just mentioned that in a hospital only 1 relative was allowed to visit...   

What was said was 80 percent of the cases coming back positive are omicron. 

• Thanks 1

Sinovac dose, Pfizer booster dose is less effective against Omicron

NEW YORK: A two-dose injection of Sinovac-type COVID-19 vaccine followed by a booster dose of Pfizer-BioNTech showed a lower immune response against Omicron, compared to other variants.

The study was conducted by a group of researchers from Yale University, the Ministry of Health of the Dominican Republic as well as several other institutions.

One of the researchers, Akiko Iwasaki, said in a tweet on Twitter that the CoronaVac vaccine recipients may need two more booster doses to achieve a level of protection against Omicron.

https://asianewstoday.com/sinovac-dose-pfizer-booster-dose-is-less-effective-against-omicron/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanaSomchai said:

Not to leash at, beat up and bash on Thailand specifically but, this entire COVID-19 debacle/fiasco should serve as a clear reminder that Thailand at it's core is still a third World country.

It is safe to assume and state that in a case of a major worldwide event like this one, should a pandemic (but also think of land floods, nuclear power plant explosions, tsunamis, volcanoes, etc) occur, you don't want to be in a 3rd World country when the sh!t goes down.

This is why I have personally left Thailand almost 2 years ago now and have no regrets of making a move, everything that has been happening in the Kingdom ever since with this entire TAT PR stunt and this face saving masquerade, the ongoing constant ever changing immigration rules and the farcical management from those who are in charge in that puritan-not-even-remotely-half-competent government has proven to me I have taken the right decision.

As I said above, when the sh!t goes down, you don't want to be in a third World country. Period.

After all don't we have a saying "Home Sweet Home"?

GO HOME!

I'd much rather be here in thailand during all this madness,than any where else. Chilling on a beach enjoying my days while the rest of the world is enjoying endless lockdowns. Life in Thailand is good for us farangatang.  ????????????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

ooops, not just Pattaya

Omicron in Patong: 11 cases confirmed on Soi Bangla

PHUKET: Proactive screening has identified 11 Thai women working in the Soi Bangla area of Patong as infected with the Omicron variant of COVID-19.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/omicron-in-patong-11-cases-confirmed-on-soi-bangla-82578.php

In before the "dirty infected farang imported Omicron into our beloved Kingdom" rhetoric kicks in yet again.

3... 2... 1...