COVID-19: Thailand reports 2,927 new coronavirus cases, 18 deaths, 2,903 recoveries

webfact

COV3.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Monday (January 3) reported 2,927 new COVID-19 cases, 2,903 recoveries and 18 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 2,906. Prisons: 21

▶︎ Recoveries: 2,903

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,203,622

▶︎ Total recoveries since April 1: 2,150,207

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,232,485 with 21,738 deaths.

The news comes as the Chonburi Department of Public Health is setting up three major Covid-19 screening points from at least January 2nd-January 5th from 5:00 P.M. to late in Pattaya in busy “restaurant” areas. These will be rapid antigen tests and will be free, nearby business owners can use this for both staff and customer testing to meet the new Chonburi orders.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update3JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-03

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

Chonburi Public Health Office is reporting 351 new cases today and no deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (25), Si Racha (19), and Bang Lamung/Pattaya (264). There are 2,908 patients in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1477787950322630656

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here we go, what are they shutting schools for if the numbers are so low? About time the government makes a public announcement instead of ducking this serious threat to all sectors. 

"Thai News Reports: The Governor of Khon Kaen has signed the order to close all schools at all levels from now until 14th January. Children's Day on 8th January has also been cancelled. In addition, the private sector are requested to work from home #Thailand"

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1477797441214697472

The Governor of Bangkok also closed all bars and pubs as well.

• Like 2

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

The Governor of Bangkok also closed all bars and pubs as well.

Sure? I thought that was simply a restatement of the current order and the usual bars and pubs masquerading as restaurants were still operating.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here is the IHME model on the true number of infections in Thailand. It last updated on the 13th Dec. Its mean average case count then was 31,185. Going by its trajectory it will be far higher now.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-models#institute-for-health-metrics-and-evaluation-ihme

data 3 jan 2.png

Looking at the confirmed cases versus the estimates definitely show that the curtain needs to be pulled back on this Governments lack of reporting. I wonder if the true test numbers can be found in a bin somewhere hidden out back...yes sarcasm.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sure? I thought that was simply a restatement of the current order and the usual bars and pubs masquerading as restaurants were still operating.

Here was what I read late last night. It might be a rehash and then it might not be.

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2022/01/02/thailand-bangkok-closes-pubs-bars-karaokes-massage-parlours-until-january-15

BANGKOK, Jan 2 (The Nation Thailand/ANN): Bangkok Governor Pol General Asawin Kwanmuang has signed a Bangkok Metropolitan Administration order closing entertainment venues, pubs, bars, karaoke shops, massage parlours and similar establishments until January 15 after they were previously allowed to reopen from December 31.

The move was to ensure the country will be able to handle rising Omicron Covid-19 variant cases in the country

• Like 2

I've seen reports of Omicron being up to 8 times more infectious than Delta. It also has a doubling period of 2-3 days. Seems Thailand, according to the numbers, is quite different to other countries experiencing Omicron. Absolute paucity of testing and now hiding ATK numbers (after of course hiding testing numbers) may have some play in this. From day 1 I have never believed the numbers.

Worth a look is Campbell's latest video "Omicron is displacing delta science."

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here was what I read late last night. It might be a rehash and then it might not be.

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2022/01/02/thailand-bangkok-closes-pubs-bars-karaokes-massage-parlours-until-january-15

BANGKOK, Jan 2 (The Nation Thailand/ANN): Bangkok Governor Pol General Asawin Kwanmuang has signed a Bangkok Metropolitan Administration order closing entertainment venues, pubs, bars, karaoke shops, massage parlours and similar establishments until January 15 after they were previously allowed to reopen from December 31.

The move was to ensure the country will be able to handle rising Omicron Covid-19 variant cases in the country

At least he hasn't told schools in Bangkok to close (yet). My son's school is still due to open on Wednesday...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

At least he hasn't told schools in Bangkok to close (yet). My son's school is still due to open on Wednesday...

Schools should, in my opinion, be the very last places to close down, after bars, restaurants and all non essential shops/services have been shut and time given to see the effects those closures have.

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I wish our daughters was to re-open. We were messaged last week by a teacher that on-line would still go on until further notice.  Guess she was preparing us for the New Term as well.  Still waiting on the schools message as today is a holiday as well.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wish our daughters was to re-open. We were messaged last week by a teacher that on-line would still go on until further notice.  Guess she was preparing us for the New Term as well.  Still waiting on the schools message as today is a holiday as well.

Is this in Bangkok?

5 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Schools should, in my opinion, be the very last places to close down, after bars, restaurants and all non essential shops/services have been shut and time given to see the effects those closures have.

Ditto on that.

I'm in the same position, daughters school due back wed, is they decide to close that while keeping bars, restaurants and venues open here in Phuket then it shows their utter lack of any sense of logic, let alone the needs of the kids and older students who are critical levels in their education for progression into Uni.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here we go, what are they shutting schools for if the numbers are so low? About time the government makes a public announcement instead of ducking this serious threat to all sectors. 

"Thai News Reports: The Governor of Khon Kaen has signed the order to close all schools at all levels from now until 14th January. Children's Day on 8th January has also been cancelled. In addition, the private sector are requested to work from home #Thailand"

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1477797441214697472

The Ministry of Education will be meeting today to discuss the situation. Will they order the closure of all schools for at least 7 days in line with the government policy to work from home after the new year holidays? The Ministry of Public Health is also expected to meet today.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1477829392994684929

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ditto on that.

I'm in the same position, daughters school due back wed, is they decide to close that while keeping bars, restaurants and venues open here in Phuket then it shows their utter lack of any sense of logic, let alone the needs of the kids and older students who are critical levels in their education for progression into Uni.

Where I live, schools have been closed since March last year. No exceptions. In Phuket you haven't had it that bad so far.

1 minute ago, MarcelV said:

Where I live, schools have been closed since March last year. No exceptions. In Phuket you haven't had it that bad so far.

Government schools in Phuket have not done so well, many still operating on alternate days, its mainly the International Schools that have been open fully. That said all schools here were closed for long periods of time last year.

However I note in a separate OP that you were fine with your school closure as it gives you more free time.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

@MarcelVThe GF's Daughters school here in Bangkok has been closed and all education was done from April of last year on-line for the entirety of 2021, and now we will be starting 2022 still on-line.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

There you have it, the cases are staying in a pattern for the past 5 days instead if seeing any increase from Omicron as seen in other countries. I suspected we would see this today.

I hope, seriously hope we do not see a numbers dump tomorrow.

I am positive that if they were showing the ATK test positives we would be seeing a very sharp upward climb.

lets hope it is because people are no longer getting sick and presenting themselves to hospitals so are not counted

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

@MarcelVThe GF's Daughters school here in Bangkok has been closed and all education was done from April of last year on-line for the entirety of 2021, and now we will be starting 2022 still on-line.

I am in the Muslim Deep South. Covid has ravaged the local economies and with the schools still closed it looks like there is a lost generation sitting at home doing nothing now.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

great, they will now all be flooding to an already overcrowded soi Buakoew in Pattaya, just what we need

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

great, they will now all be flooding to an already overcrowded soi Buakoew in Pattaya, just what we need

Sorry but from what I hear anecdotally the Omicron is already running around in Chonburi, and ATK tests are needed to go into any bar or pub and then what does that tell you if the tests are 72 hours old.  

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

True, as "restaurants" are still allowed to open under the new rules.????