More than 2,000 road accidents with 300 deaths reported in Thailand so far in total on New Year’s “Seven Deadly Days of driving”

snoop1130

105F03A5A9D44C335C00E481809B1751_1000-630x420.jpeg

Thailand’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) today, January 4th, reported a total of 2,488 road accidents, with 300 deaths and 2,471 injuries on the Seven Deadly Days of driving during the New Year season, from December 29th to January 3rd.

264 accidents, with 34 deceased and 274 injured, were recorded on the last day alone of the Seven Deadly Days of driving, January 3rd. Most of them were caused by excessive speeding (35.61 percent), followed by sudden lane changes (22.35 percent) and drunk driving (18.94 percent).

About 83.03 percent of the accidents involved motorcycles, followed by pickup trucks (6.64 percent) and cars (3.69 percent).

79.55 percent of road accidents occurred most on a straight segment of the road while 40.91 percent were recorded on national highways, followed by 36.74 percent at provincial subdistricts and local villages.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/04/more-than-2000-road-accidents-with-300-deaths-reported-in-thailand-so-far-in-total-on-new-years-seven-deadly-days-of-driving/

PattayaNews.jpg

17 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

79.55 percent of road accidents occurred most on a straight segment of the road while 40.91 percent were recorded on national highways,

Without agreeing to the actual numbers I do agree as to the typical straight road scenario after witnessing the usual suicidal "pull out and attempt to pass as many as possible" regardless of that is over a crest in the road with no visibility other than the no passing lines!

Worse still is the  RTP positioned to wave them back in rather than pull them in and  issue a ticket!

Although a friend reported about  5 kms away the RTP were pulling  over noisy and smoke  emitting   vehicles using a spotter further back on a steep climb section of straight road ! I know particle emissions are vogue but why not Thai Vehicular Roulette ?

Are more people dying on the roads than from covid?

I would look up the numbers but I can't be bothered due to lazyness and also not giving a sheet one way or the other really.

Edited by ukrules

To the covid Vs road death, you can't catch a road accident , they're not infectious, but yes, more should be done to educate drivers and enforce laws. Safety helmet is prime, farang not wearing one, pull and ticket (happened to myself several times), Thai, don't worry.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) today, January 4th, reported a total of 2,488 road accidents, with 300 deaths and 2,471 injuries on the Seven Deadly Days of driving during the New Year season, from December 29th to January 3rd.

Useless body of salary takers.

14 hours ago, Willy Wombat said:

300 in 7 days. Astonishing.

Australia for the full year of 2021 had 1126 road deaths

That is about 43 deaths per day.  Which is about 40% less than normal for all the other days of the year.

12 hours ago, Petey11 said:

To the covid Vs road death, you can't catch a road accident , they're not infectious, but yes, more should be done to educate drivers and enforce laws. Safety helmet is prime, farang not wearing one, pull and ticket (happened to myself several times), Thai, don't worry.

Where I am RTP are having stop checks every week and many riders are stopped for no helmet. I even see the riders carrying there helmet on there arm until they see the stop check and then they will stop and put it on. They know they should be wearing them but it spoils there hairstyle. If you want to educate them take them to the morgue and show them head injuries.

I have said on many posts before that helmets are similar to seat belts the only people you kill or injury are  yourself I would rather they concentrated on offences that potentially can kill me DUI red light offences ets..  Posters will reply that they are taking up hospital beds and it costs to have someone in hospital. I would say it does not cost me anything only when someone wipes me up.. 

15 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It is baffling that 79.55% of these accidents occur on straight roads.

Perhaps all the roads need to be made about three times wider?

I have a long straight road past my house, and in the seven years I have been living here there have been around 20 accidents within about 300 metres. So many I've lost count of the exact number. These accidents have included death, amputation, long-term coma, lorries and pickups in ditches, including a trailer lorry, and a car flying through the top of a tree (Thais drivers can re-write the laws of physics).

I would blame speed on a straight road, but as far as I can recall that has not been the case in any of them in my vicinity. Just plain stupidity or lack of attention while driving. Two involved the amazing ability of Thais to fall asleep anywhere anytime, including while they are driving.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Safety helmet is prime, farang not wearing one, pull and ticket (happened to myself several times), Thai, don't worry.

When you admittedly frequently break the law I guess you deserve what comes to you. But so do the locals, plenty of whom I see also being pulled over when the BIB need to top up their tea fund.

17 hours ago, pattjock said:

Traffic accidents kill much more than corona and can be prevented by proper work by the police, but nothing is done. Corona is very hard to control but they shut down the society completely causing economical problems for the entire country. Why cant they deploy the same effort when it comes to traffic accidents?

We know why. Inconsistency, lackadaisical attitude, laziness, excessive leniency. Rules should be STRICTLY enforced EVERYDAY OF THE YEAR. How much do these accidents cost society?

On 1/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, Dmaxdan said:

It is baffling that 79.55% of these accidents occur on straight roads.

Perhaps all the roads need to be made about three times wider?

That would just increase the 'sudden lane changes' from 22.35% to 122.35%

So on a daily average, 300 ÷ 7 = 42 per day vs the usual 50-60 a day the rest of the year, depending on pre-covid year.

Making it safer to drive during the holidays than any other time of year.  Usually the same with Songkran holiday. ????????????