Red Bull Boss: Time is running out to prosecute rich scion - Will justice prevail in the end?

webfact

7 hours ago, baboon said:

And what is the betting that he has been 'sneaking' into Thailand whenever he fancies?

Exactly what i think, who would have the guts to arrest him and stop the constant back handers to BIB bosses no one, i would suspect he's been in and out Thailand many times now!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The ruling elite worry about the country's image but have prevented the return of this man to face justice. Amazing Thailand.

It's just a massive, dysfunctional mafia family.

Reminds me of

“Somoza may be a SOB, but he’s our SOB.”

Edited by TheScience
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What would be the point of holding an illegal trial resulting in a conviction that could not be upheld?   He wouldn't need to appeal!

In what way would such a trial be illegal.  The defendant has the right to be present at the trial.  If he chooses not to attend that is his choice.  The trial would still be 'valid'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't they charge him without him being here then it's up to him if he decides to defend himself. Statute of limitations is intended to prevent someone having the threat of charges hanging over them for years when they could be brought fairly quickly. I don't think the intention is that you can just leave the country to avoid justice.

6 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

Nothing will bring the policeman back - at least this way his family is compensated in a way that actually helps them.

He was single he had no family the amount paid was a pittance

4 hours ago, sambum said:

My memory tells me that it should be "as bent as a curly pin"? I think also that the expression was "as queer as a nine bob note"?

Nope my memory is also 'as bent as a nine bob note' never heard of 'as bent as a curly pin'

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What would be the point of holding an illegal trial resulting in a conviction that could not be upheld?   He wouldn't need to appeal!

In what way would such a trial be illegal.  The defendant has the right to be present at the trial.  If he chooses not to attend that is his choice.  The trial would still be 'valid'.

No, it would not be valid, if it was it would have happened already.

Trials in absentia do not happen here except for trials involving politicians charged with corruption who have done a runner.   To hold a criminal trial without the defendant being present goes against a defendant's basic right to be there for the trial and would present huge problems in terms of justice being done and any verdict.  It is not a matter of the trial going ahead without him if he chooses not to attend, that does not happen.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

10 hours ago, MRToMRT said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I agree under the majority of circumstances BUT if a trial date is set, he has the right to attend. If he choses not to attend then the trial should (?) be able to go ahead. Similary earlier in this case his lawyers had to petition the court for a delay of trial based him not being able to attend due to a) illness and b) travel (thats my recollection anyway I have not checked that). 

They should try him in absentia in my view and then let his legal team fight it out and let the press report on it, so the poeple can see "justice" at work (whether his rights be impeded or not).

Of course it says with reason that I know nothing about the law. I know even less about Thai law but as everything else seems to be allowed by the judiciary and the government here (do we still have an emergency decree?), why not this? 

I presume the judiciary and government may not want him to stand trial for their own reasons whatever they may be. 

"...if a trial date is set, he has the right to attend. If he choses not to attend then the trial should (?) be able to go ahead".

A trial date has not been set and will not be set until he can attend.  As he is considered innocent until convicted, like it or not, it is his rights that have to be upheld and his right is to be there at his trial, it is not the court's right to hold the trial without the defendant that has to be upheld because there is no such right enjoyed by the courts.

"...earlier in this case his lawyers had to petition the court for a delay of trial..."

That is incorrect, a trial date has never been set, what you're referring to were requests from his lawyer to delay meeting with the police for him to be questioned, requests that the police agreed to.

"They should try him in absentia in my view ... so the poeple can see "justice" at work"

There is no option in Thai law for that to happen so the feelings of observers are irrelevant.  Trying anyone (except corrupt politicians) in absentia in this country is a direct contravention of the process of justice in criminal cases so what the people would see would be a contravention of an innocent (until proven guilty, remember) defendant's rights.

5 hours ago, Ginner said:

Didn't they do that to Thaksin and his daughter? But the same as this guy, they were allowed to leave taking a great deal of money with them>

And presumably, costing them a great deal of money to do so?

Guest Isaanlife
9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A member of the second largest  gun carrying gang in Thailand  lost a member. The perp might be wise not to return  to Thailand trial or otherwise.

You clearly don't understand Thailand's untouchable families.

2 hours ago, sitanonchai said:

What's the reward catching this pr_ck ?

Turn up with him at Suvarnabhumi, him in handcuffs, you, triumphant. A hastily assembled police reception committee will whisk you both off. Him to Never You Mind Where He Is and you to face prosecution and deportation for a multitude of offences. That would be the reward. 

• Like 2

Has the Thai government revoked/cancelled his passport?  Does he have citizenship in another country and travels on that passport?  I'm assuming that all of his Thai assets have been frozen but obviously he has overseas based assets and family support.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sunnny said:

Money has a sacred meaning in Thailand. You cannot imprison somebody having billions of dollars. In some ways, it would be similar to imprisoning the Saint. No, not in Thailand. Never.

What about Premchai the Poacher - he got jail time?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NobbyClarke said:

Imagine if it were you or I.

Completely different outcome.

Next Iit will be the same stories regards to the rich Chinese as they slowly buy LOS.

Maybe not tomorrow but eventually LOS will be the same as  Hong Kong..

We can all have our opinions but LOS will never change for the West..

As the policeman once said to me " you came here of your own free will. Thailand didn't ask you to come. If you don't like it your country awaits you"

Guess what? He was correct.

" you came here of your own free will. Thailand didn't ask you to come.............."

So pray tell, what are TAT doing if not trying to persuade thousands - sorry, millions of tourists  to come to Thailand and spend their money here?

And we are constantly being reminded that we are "guests" here ("guests" are invited) and as such have no rights to make any changes to the way the country is run? (Even though we are still called "aliens" on our visa applications!!!)

22 hours ago, sambum said:

My memory tells me that it should be "as bent as a curly pin"? I think also that the expression was "as queer as a nine bob note"?

Where I came from it was "as bent as a nine bob note", so possibly there were regional variations.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stoutfella said:

Where I came from it was "as bent as a nine bob note", so possibly there were regional variations.

Quite possibly! Another couple from my neck of the woods (and possibly others) were "as camp as a row of tents" (e.g. Larry Grayson), and "as fit as a butcher's dog" (normally used to describe an attractive girl!)