Novak Djokovic’s deportation has raised the issue of the right to remain unvaccinated

webfact

Everybody should have the right to make their own decision on vaccination. BUT then they have to accept the consequences and understand their actions affect other people. That's what all us lesser mortals (who can't afford expensive lawyers) have to do.

• Like 1

peopel only talk about heir rights, but never about their obligations...my rights can be a problem for others, do I have defend my right only?? My rights are also important for me. Mr Djokovic should or get a vaccine or not play.. Easy for me

• Like 1

It looks like it has moved beyond the right to remain unvaccinated OR to claim to have been tested positive and thus exempt.

It appears the Border Police may have the last call since it appears he (his agent) submitted a false declaration with regard to his travel in the 14 days before traveling to Australia. Despite saying 'No' he was flying all over Europe, mostly without a mask, all captured on regular and social media, while shedding like a boss.

595820727_Novaxatd.jpg.37fce07426a730b44a0153a89ef65e67.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2022/01/11/novak-djokovic-investigated-claim-lied-australian-travel-declaration/

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Mr Djokovic should or get a vaccine or not play.. Easy for me

Why? If Australia welcomes recovered people, why Djoko should be vaccinated to be allowed to come? No need to get vaccinated then.

More serious would be, if he made false claims on his application related to his travelling before entry. If that's agains Australian rules, then the tournament will be over for hin, I guess

2 hours ago, James105 said:

The court has ruled on this.   In your expert legal opinion, what did they get wrong?   Or do you have an expert medical opinion as to why he should not have been granted an exemption?  

NO the court ruled on the information disclosed in the exemption application issued by the Vic Government,(which does not control border entry,) however the Commonwealth declaration submitted to BorderForce, which does, have new information that the certificate may have been issued without all the correct and truthful information within time frames required by the Commonwealth under their rules for admission to Australia, and the Minister has discretional powers remaining. It is evolving situation.

Edited by RJRS1301

33 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Why? If Australia welcomes recovered people, why Djoko should be vaccinated to be allowed to come? No need to get vaccinated then.

More serious would be, if he made false claims on his application related to his travelling before entry. If that's agains Australian rules, then the tournament will be over for hin, I guess

If he was a "normal" person, the courtwould have ruled differently.... But he is a celibrity, brings spectators to theAustralian Open and has a lot of money to pay...... so... please 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

If he was a "normal" person, the courtwould have ruled differently.... But he is a celibrity, brings spectators to theAustralian Open and has a lot of money to pay...... so... please 

If the rules are, that "recovered" are allowed to enter, the opposite is true:

If he were a "normal" person, he would have entered without problems. But he is a known antivaxxer and that drives the fanatic Vaxxiban crazy

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

If the rules are, that "recovered" are allowed to enter, the opposite is true:

If he were a "normal" person, he would have entered without problems. But he is a known antivaxxer and that drives the fanatic Vaxxiban crazy

Novak Djokovic investigated over claim he lied on Australian Travel Declaration

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2022/01/11/novak-djokovic-investigated-claim-lied-australian-travel-declaration/

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So what. If he lied in his application, they will throw him out, vaxxed or unvaxxed.

"So what", well it seems now all has been revealed, he told porkies so he could attend his big payday tournament, a naughty chappie eh........????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Yep, he lied and blamed his agent for additional lies.

So much for celebrity status!

Not just lied about his travel, but also mingled around and hugged kids after testing positive... What a disgrace...

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 7:11 AM, Negita43 said:

Everybody should have the right to make their own decision on vaccination. BUT then they have to accept the consequences and understand their actions affect other people. That's what all us lesser mortals (who can't afford expensive lawyers) have to do.

Why does the action of being un jabbed affect other people? 

The consequences you speak of are coercion nothing more nothing less. 

That means it's not a free choice. 

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Yep, he lied and blamed his agent for additional lies.

So much for celebrity status!

Aussies not letting him off the hook.... truth always comes out  and (as they do here in Thailand) always easy to blame somebody else, if he has 5 cents of a brain he would pack and (quitely) leave but his arrogance takes the best/worse of him 555

https://au.yahoo.com/sports/aus-open-2022-novak-djokovic-eviscerated-pathetic-admission-070216110.html

'Can't believe this': Novak Djokovic eviscerated over 'pathetic' admission

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I think they gutless Minister is weighing up the chances of violence on the streets of Melbourne.

My personal thoughts are, should the deportation be ordered, the local Serbian community will take to the streets in protest and this could become violent.

No deportation, Djokovic takes to the courts and is booed by the tennis going public, then possibilty of violence inside and outside the tennis stadium.

Should have acted immediately following the court case verdict, as the verdict was delivered on a technicality of procedure at the airport, not the truthfulness or  otherwise of a declaration signed by him, and complicated by the wrong information supplied by Tennis Australia and an exemption granted by the Victorian government, which has no say in border entry. 

Even with a valid visa, one can be refused entry at the border, if the officer believes there is reason to do so.

They did it with the female Czeck player(unvaccinated) and she was on the next plane out.

I also think Tennis Australia could be sued civil court for damages and cost by Djokovic camp if deported, due to poor information supplied to the team. management

Edited by RJRS1301

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think they gutless Minister is weighing up the chances of violence on the streets of Melbourne.

My personal thoughts are, should the deportation be ordered, the local Serbian community will take to the streets in protest and this could become violent.

No deportation, Djokovic takes to the courts and is booed by the tennis going public, then possibilty of violence inside and outside the tennis stadium.

Should have acted immediately following the court case verdict, as the verdict was delivered on a technicality of procedure at the airport, not the truthfulness or  otherwise of a declaration signed by him, and complicated by the wrong information supplied by Tennis Australia and an exemption granted by the Victorian government, which has no say in border entry. 

Even with a valid visa, one can be refused entry at the border, if the officer believes there is reason to do so.

They did it with the female Czeck player(unvaccinated) and she was on the next plane out.

I also think Tennis Australia could be sued civil court for damages and cost by Djokovic camp if deported, due to poor information supplied to the team. management

There is still the fact that his very highly paid lawyer lied on his visa application stating that he had not traveled for 2 weeks. The truth now remains to be seen, did he even have an infection given that he was apparently in a kids' tennis function the day after he supposedly tested positive. Then why did he travel while positive? Maybe the infection as false in order to get the medical exemption? I think this is what's taking the time to resolve.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, ozimoron said:

The thread title does not reflect the issue or the linked news article.

Nobody in Australia is forced to have the vaccines. Their access to high exposure sites is being restricted based on vaccination status and entry to the country is restricted to people with a vaccine or a recent recovered infection.

The 64 million dollar question here is did Djokovic lie to obtain a medical exemption or did somebody in Australia put their thumb on the scale to bypass the rules before the inevitable public outcry forced a reversal. This is not necessarily Djokovic's fault. We will see.

The "inevitable public outcry" if you are listening with one ear. There was plenty of support for him too - including me.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 2:11 PM, Negita43 said:

You're a lesser mortal because you're not the greatest tennis player in history to ever grace a tennis court, not because you can't afford the best lawyers. Plenty of rich people who you can't name and don't know can afford lawyers, but he is one of a kind. Give credit where credit is due.

14 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The "inevitable public outcry" if you are listening with one ear. There was plenty of support for him too - including me.

I would like to believe that "public outcry" should not be the basis for inconsistency in decision making. That said, I think there are more Australians don't want him to prevail if he lied. Tall poppy syndrome is very much alive in Australia. I do understand that the stake are high for Djokovitch but if he lied and is allowed to play they will be high for the government too.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:14 AM, mtls2005 said:

How recent?

I think he's (Djokovic) had COVID and recovered, but that may have been in 2019 or 2020?

AFAIK, Nadal is vaccinated - he's said he is - and he has just recovered from COVID (December, Abu Dhabi event), and he's been in Melbourne for a week+.

Of course Nadal was vaxxed. He knew Novak was going to have problems with his visa and possibly not play. Now he's the world's happiest person. His chances of taking his 21st grand slam tournament have just risen 100% with Novak out. It doesn't matter if Novak plays or not. If he doesn't play, he'll take 21, 22 and 23 this year.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I would like to believe that "public outcry" should not be the basis for inconsistency in decision making. That said, I think there are more Australians don't want him to prevail if he lied. Tall poppy syndrome is very much alive in Australia. I do understand that the stake are high for Djokovitch but if he lied and is allowed to play they will be high for the government too.

When the 'God of tennis" plays, it's OK by me to make exceptions, even if they force me to vaxx.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

When the 'God of tennis" plays, it's OK by me to make exceptions, even if they force me to vaxx.

He chose his hill to die on so to speak. He could have simply vaccinated but wants to be a political mouthpiece. I don't follow tennis so my opinion is not colored by any biases. He's just another anti-vaxer to me.

• Like 2

I find this all strange . Australia demands vaccination for all incoming passengers . Novak was/is clearly not since he is against it . Consequence , no entry . All choices got 2 sides , and in this case it does mean no entry . That Australian Tennis Fed made him exempt is weird , but if recent positive counts , ok . Then we next point which is he was positive on a certain date ( 16 December?) and he made visits/interviews after that date , so in fact he was infecting others ... that should be jail sentence , not in Australia  , but it is just a fact . There have been jail sentences before for positive HIV which infected others knowing they were positive . 3th thing , he lied on his entry form , since he did travel 14 days in front of going Australia , while he stated a no on his entry form . Australia is known to be very strong entry rules , all this together makes this imho very easy . No such man should be allowed to enter .

We all make choices , choices also mean consequences . They can be good for you or bad , but they are always there . Face them ... that's my view .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

He chose his hill to die on so to speak. He could have simply vaccinated but wants to be a political mouthpiece. I don't follow tennis so my opinion is not colored by any biases. He's just another anti-vaxer to me.

There's more to not-vaxxing than being a political mouthpiece. The truth about vaxxing is a taboo subject which is strictly censored, so we won't go there. There would be serious health concerns by very healthy people, and Novak would be in the percentile of healthy individuals. At his level, every percentile of virility will be crucial to his performance. He was already postive for covid, but if not for the test, he would not have known.... that's how powerful his immune system is. It doesn't matter if Nadal vaxxes or not. He can always blame injuries for bad performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

There's more to not-vaxxing than being a political mouthpiece. The truth about vaxxing is a taboo subject which is strictly censored, so we won't go there. There would be serious health concerns by very healthy people, and Novak would be in the percentile of healthy individuals. At his level, every percentile of virility will be crucial to his performance. He was already postive for covid, but if not for the test, he would not have known.... that's how powerful his immune system is. It doesn't matter if Nadal vaxxes or not. He can always blame injuries for bad performance.

If that were true most other professional athletes would be of the same opinion. They aren't, so it's only your opinion and presumably his. No medical basis for believing that vaccines could harm his performance. Issues related to the disease itself pose a far greater threat to his performance.