Novak Djokovic’s deportation has raised the issue of the right to remain unvaccinated

webfact

28 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

a recent recovered infection.

How recent?

I think he's (Djokovic) had COVID and recovered, but that may have been in 2019 or 2020?

AFAIK, Nadal is vaccinated - he's said he is - and he has just recovered from COVID (December, Abu Dhabi event), and he's been in Melbourne for a week+.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

How recent?

I think he's (Djokovic) had COVID and recovered, but that may have been in 2019 or 2020?

AFAIK, Nadal is vaccinated - he's said he is - and he has just recovered from COVID (December, Abu Dhabi event), and he's been in Melbourne for a week+.

I think it's 6 months. I'm not sure and couldn't be bothered checking. He either lied or someone in authority went into bat for him and will et their fingers burnt..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Their access to high exposure sites is being restricted based on vaccination status and entry to the country is restricted to people with a vaccine or a recent recovered infection.

Then he should have been allowed entry but denied access to the courts.

In Australia an exemption is decided on by 2 independent panels on the evidence presented, they do not know the applicant, 3 other players also have the exemption and are on the practice courts now. I guess Djokovic (and the system) was subject to the extreme public outcry because of his profile and I assume this prompted the Immigration office to put his visa application under the microscope and they found something.

7 hours ago, bdenner said:

In Australia an exemption is decided on by 2 independent panels on the evidence presented, they do not know the applicant, 3 other players also have the exemption and are on the practice courts now. I guess Djokovic (and the system) was subject to the extreme public outcry because of his profile and I assume this prompted the Immigration office to put his visa application under the microscope and they found something.

those other 3 players are being investigated, and if their situation is the same as Djokovic, they will be deported. But I'm guessing they were able to provide the required documentation to support their exemption, which is why they are on the practice courts and not in custody

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The thread title does not reflect the issue or the linked news article.

Nobody in Australia is forced to have the vaccines. Their access to high exposure sites is being restricted based on vaccination status and entry to the country is restricted to people with a vaccine or a recent recovered infection.

The 64 million dollar question here is did Djokovic lie to obtain a medical exemption or did somebody in Australia put their thumb on the scale to bypass the rules before the inevitable public outcry forced a reversal. This is not necessarily Djokovic's fault. We will see.

I am in Australia currently but, retiree in Thailand, Djokovic was denied entry here because he would not say if he was vaxed or not. No personal health details were requested but it is a condition of entry. Since he would not say yes or no, the assumption had to be by the immigration was that it is no and thus required to quarantine. He apparently requested exemption on the basis he had previously had covid within the last 6 months. But he did not provide evidence to show that he had already had covid within the last 6 months as per the exemption condition. Many ask why he could play 33 tournament games during the period and still be quarantined as required before travelling. The current court case where he is contesting his visa refusal is dependent on him able to produce evidence of his prior covid  and quarantine requirements. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Even if he has had Covid, does not matter. I know folks who have had it twice.

There are rights. For instance, I have the right to walk around naked. But only in private. If I insist on walking around in public areas naked, I will be arrested.

I have the right to refuse the vaccine. But in doing so, I will have to restrict myself in certain ways. For instance, I would have to stay away from people who are old or have underlying conditions (this would preclude me working with them, for instance). It would also preclude my being able to cross certain borders as long as the pandemic exists.

Some countries may operate a medical opt-out. And that is up to them. Just as in certain countries it is ok to smoke marijuana, in others that would get you a jail sentence.

As regards a certain tennis player, I think that he should be treated like everyone else. Being a tennis player is not a medical condition. If he does not have a medical condition that allows him to opt-out, then he should be excluded like everyone else. I mean, I personally would not take up Australian citizenship because they even excluded their own citizens during certain periods of the pandemic but that is their business, their rules. And if you want to become an Aussie citizen or play professional tennis there, you should be treated just like any other person.

• Like 2