Novak Djokovic’s deportation has raised the issue of the right to remain unvaccinated

webfact

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

Exactly right. Quick reply with no thought beforehand. Hence the ridiculous assertion that vaccinated people don't get COVID....and then the denial that they wrote such a thing even though their quote is in front of their eyes.

Don't waste your energy trying to inject any kind of intelligence into a discussion with them. It will just disappear into a black hole.

Just smile and say okay and it might just go away.

Just reading an article that consider shopping is the riskiest activity outside the home. Statistics eh?

https://inews.co.uk/news/shopping-biggest-threat-covid-outside-home-sage-scientists-restrictions-pubs-1389708

Show me where I said that vaccinated people don't get covid or have the decency to apologize.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gearbox said:

I find this hard to believe. The airlines would refuse to board people without a valid visa and a negative PCR test,  as anyone who came back to Thailand experienced it. I'm not aware of anyone being able to fly with "letter of support". I'm flying back to Sydney in a few weeks and don't think I can turn up at the airport without a negative PCR test and expect to board.

He flew on a private jet. 

3 minutes ago, LA8RAT said:

He flew on a private jet. 

Where did you get this now?

He flew on Emirates transferring in Dubai, it was all over the news...

Some news are asking now if Emirates will pay for his (1st class) flight out of AU since they let him board without sufficient docs, lol... Reminds me of all those guys refused entry at DonMuang... but they flew on AirAsia economy heh.

13 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Where did you get this now?

He flew on Emirates transferring in Dubai, it was all over the news...

Some news are asking now if Emirates will pay for his (1st class) flight out of AU since they let him board without sufficient docs, lol... Reminds me of all those guys refused entry at DonMuang... but they flew on AirAsia economy heh.

I read it in eather the mail or the telegraph both UK press. 

On 1/6/2022 at 12:56 PM, GeorgeCross said:

world number one.. Novax Deported!

He is currently awaiting the outcome of a court challenge to the departments decision.

Quarantined in detention and no tennis court access.

16 minutes ago, LA8RAT said:

OK sal my apologies I must have read a bad piece of reporting 

Thanks for the correction 

Not at all man ???? This link is interesting read about procedures and options on AU refused entry.

Drama continues after the weekend... in the meantime passionate antivaxxers and their opponents will continue their pointless battles online lol...

Personally I think that if he did not mention his medical exemption on Twitter before his flight, he would be probably chilling in Melbourne 5-star hotel now... But some people can't keep their mouth (or tweets) shut... Now the rest of his career is in jeopardy if other tournaments & countries also demands vaccination, and knowing him and his wife that's never going to happen.

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

All you are saying here is that you stand by your factually incorrect assertion that vaccinated people will get covid.

How do death rates from COVID-19 differ between people who are vaccinated and those who are not?

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

On 1/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, ozimoron said:

The thread title does not reflect the issue or the linked news article.

Nobody in Australia is forced to have the vaccines. Their access to high exposure sites is being restricted based on vaccination status and entry to the country is restricted to people with a vaccine or a recent recovered infection.

The 64 million dollar question here is did Djokovic lie to obtain a medical exemption or did somebody in Australia put their thumb on the scale to bypass the rules before the inevitable public outcry forced a reversal. This is not necessarily Djokovic's fault. We will see.

Yes. The issue is about corruption  and 'important ' people having a different  set of rules.  Covid has really exposed the desert  of Australia into corruption  demagoguery and authoritarianism.

15 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Not at all man ???? This link is interesting read about procedures and options on AU refused entry.

Drama continues after the weekend... in the meantime passionate antivaxxers and their opponents will continue their pointless battles online lol...

Personally I think that if he did not mention his medical exemption on Twitter before his flight, he would be probably chilling in Melbourne 5-star hotel now... But some people can't keep their mouth (or tweets) shut... Now the rest of his career is in jeopardy if other tournaments & countries also demands vaccination, and knowing him and his wife that's never going to happen.

The natural sense of justice and fair play of the people  has been tested by covid restrictions in Australia. This was a step too far in a country that locked out its own citizens  and stopped parents visiting their  dieing  children

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The natural sense of justice and fair play of the people  has been tested by covid restrictions in Australia. This was a step too far in a country that locked out its own citizens  and stopped parents visiting their  dieing  children

and saved us from the nightmare death toll visited upon the US and Europe for over a year until we could get vaccines. We don't live in a perfect world. I'm not enamoured with Australia's covid response at all but I do support the border restrictions. Now populism and a looming election caused them to drop the ball.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes. The issue is about corruption  and 'important ' people having a different  set of rules.  Covid has really exposed the desert  of Australia into corruption  demagoguery and authoritarianism.

Djokovic missed exemption cut-off by six days

The same document also made it clear that any applications for a medical exemption needed to be sent “no later than Friday 10 December 2021” — six days before Djokovic tested positive — meaning a positive Covid test would have come too late for TA’s exemption guidelines.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-court-documents-confirmed-he-tested-positive-for-covid-in-december/news-story/8bf69b691cc5734c6c08a2d6e4120351

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

and saved us from the nightmare death toll visited upon the US and Europe for over a year until we could get vaccines.

'After such means what could justify  the end'

Australia  lost something irreplaceable as a result of it governments  corruption,  mendacity and incompetence. The authoritarian police backed lockdown   was a substitute for a real health policy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

'After such means what could justify  the end'

Australia  lost something irreplaceable as a result of it governments  corruption,  mendacity and incompetence. The authoritarian police backed lockdown   was a substitute for a real health policy.

The lock downs were widely popular especially since they were shown to work. Not everybody was happy obviously but they were never long lasting, they didn't have to be.. 

Would have thought he had a manager to sort all that stuff out. But, if Novax wants to remain unvaxxed, then he should change his schedules to countries that will molly-coddle him, plus the thumbs up of all possible opponents.......

A bloke with a bat & ball should be given preferential treatment, naaaaaaaaaaaah...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The lock downs were widely popular especially since they were shown to work. Not everybody was happy obviously but they were never long lasting, they didn't have to be.. 

They were not widely  popular  nor was locking  citizens out of the country.

"Lockdowns aren’t a public health policy. They signify a failure of public health policy"

Professor Mark Woolhouse, Edinburgh University

Even if you  are right  in your  belief the Novak scandal and other elites being held to different  levels of accountability by the Australian government  is a disgrace.  People suffered

Edited by The Hammer2021

According to a German media report, Djokovic was PCR tested positive on Dec 16 and is to be regarded as "recovered".

Because of that the Australien Tennis Association gave him an ok for coming, though the "recovered"-rule only applies to Australien citizens. According to the same report, the Tennis Association was informed by the governmnent in Nov. 2021.

If true, it's definitely not Djoko's fault.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They were not widely  popular  nor was locking  citizens out of the country.

When Daniel Andrews, premier of the Australian state of Victoria, declared a lockdown over the coronavirus, some detractors on the right labeled him a "dictator" and said he was trying to build "a gulag."
But Andrews -- a Labor Party politician who has run Australia's second-largest state since 2014 -- has remained popular with Victorians throughout the lockdown, local polls show. And this week, his hardline approach was thoroughly vindicated.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/21/australia/australia-coronavirus-lockdown-intl-hnk/index.html

"Australia looks set to stay shut well into next year, satisfied that its policies are popular and wildly effective, even if they so isolate the country that even some citizens are barred from entering."

https://fortune.com/2021/06/18/australia-covid-zero-closed-borders-reopen-lockdown/

Australia's approach to the pandemic -- strict border policies, snap lockdowns and aggressive contact tracing -- saw the country, along with neighboring New Zealand, praised throughout 2020 for taking a no-tolerance approach to public health. It paid off. While other countries faced overwhelmed hospital systems and devastating death tolls, Australia enjoyed large public gatherings, and life went on as normal for most people within its sealed-off borders.

The issue of civil liberties under threat has been overblown, according to McLaws.

"While restrictions are tough and we are tired of them, Australians are less obsessed with individual rights during this time," she said. "Australians like their freedom, but they aren't willing to have it at the price of many deaths."

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/fortress-australia-cautiously-moving-covid-long-path-freedom/story?id=79820663

20 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Dan Andrews, remains not just the darling of the laptop class, but also a popular leader who would win an election comfortably if one were held tomorrow. The same goes for other lockdown leaders, notably the premier of Western Australia, Mark McGowan, who won 53 out of 59 seats in the state parliament for Labor in the election in March 2021.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:49 AM, webfact said:

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has had his visa to enter Australia dramatically revoked on his arrival in Melbourne yesterday.

The world number one was held in the city's airport for several hours before border forces announced he had not met entry rules and would be deported.

It came a day after he was granted an exemption from vaccination rules to play in the Australian Open.

I don't think that he was granted an exemption by any authority that could do that, he was told by Tennis Australia that he could get in but TA doesn't  have anything to do with entry to the country, never mind give immigration exemption authorisation.

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Show me where I said that vaccinated people don't get covid or have the decency to apologize.

Happy to show you once again:

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

All you are saying here is that you stand by your factually incorrect assertion that vaccinated people will get covid.

What does that say to you or to anyone else reading?

That you consider it "factually incorrect" to assert the vaccinated people can get COVID-19. English is my first language. 

Maybe you can explain what you meant by that statement; rather than ignoring it each time I ask you about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tennis Australia is the organizer of one of world's most important tournaments.

One should guess they're able to inform the players correctly, especially if they were informed by the giovernment that the "recovered"-rule does not apply to non-Australian citizens.

But Djoko is an unvaxxed public health thread and has to be bashed as hard as possible.