Novak Djokovic’s deportation has raised the issue of the right to remain unvaccinated

webfact

9 hours ago, bdenner said:

In Australia an exemption is decided on by 2 independent panels on the evidence presented, they do not know the applicant, 3 other players also have the exemption and are on the practice courts now. I guess Djokovic (and the system) was subject to the extreme public outcry because of his profile and I assume this prompted the Immigration office to put his visa application under the microscope and they found something.

His visa was not the correct one, one that is issued to those with medical exemption. He or the people acting for him appear to have made a mess of it and he is the victim.

I'm okay with people having a choice of whether to be vaccinated or not. I'm also okay with those who refuse to be vaccinated being refused permission to mix with those who are more responsible.

What people have against vaccination is far beyond my understanding. It has been proved to save lives while only a handful of people out of countless millions worldwide have had serious adverse effects.

People have received vaccines for decades and many serious diseases have been irradicated due to blanket vaccination. When I was a kid, maybe seven or eight years old, I was vaccinated at school against polio. No-one yelled about freedom of choice or human rights back then. They just did what common sense demanded. Since then, self-righteous people have sent the world backwards. With ridiculous PC demands too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Apparently he's had it twice. Once about 6 months ago and approximately a year or so before that.

I spoke with a friend today in Sydney, we had a yarn about this stuff.

She is very savvy, highly educated, balanced, sanely sceptical, with sharp deductive powers and nobodies fool - careful about what she hears n reads so I tend to trust her.

Anyhow ... the thing seems to be that he simply did not meet the criteria to be allowed entry.

The Fed's are saying there is a criteria, clear and open to all to know about ... AND he and his 'team' were appraised when he applied for a visa to enter some time back and given every ounce of information to apply and comply with these 'BorderForce' criteria at that time (BorderForce a catchy militaristic new name for Immigration huh - coined by a dubiously sane and far-right leaning ex prime minister) ... but I digress ... He seems to have fudged or had documentation that was not kosher and when he arrived and asked to produce the suite of documents he knew he had to have to prove what his original application said he had he could not and so he was denied entry.

Mis K told me that as far as she can see he has been playing footsie (evasive, ambiguous) about being or not being vaccinated for weeks and weeks with BorderForce and was simply trying to enter the country to play based on his big name and that as a 'big star very important human being' he would simply bypass the law and do as he pleased. 

He is in a hotel (The Park) that is used by Border Force to hold both those denied visa's - and have the means and wish to appeal the denial in court (his legal folks are to attend court 10:00 a.m. Monday in Sydney to plead his case to be granted a visa to stay).

The hotel by the way is also used to house other non-visa detainees (people trying to enter illegally with forged doc's etc), refugees, and asylum seekers, and visa overstayers awaiting deportation. 

There's a few folks outside the hotel waving Serbian flags and singing and chanting in support, or there was today during daylight hours.

He got zero traction with our loose-with-the-truth PM today, and also zero sympathy from the opposition Labour Party leader as well.

My two cents worth is; The bloke hits a ball for a living ... albeit he is a legend at that and neither this nor anything else gives him the inalienable right to obfuscation of abeyance of the law of a nation he seeks to enter and hit said balls. As we say in Oz; 'bu.ger-off mate!'

That's some story telling. High praise!!

47 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

We are not talking about Sth Africa Einstein. You must be retired? Hmmm

The word YOU used - apartheid - relates to South Africa and racial discrimination, so YOU were referring to South Africa. Not me. You. Better that you not use words you don't understand and then make yourself look even more silly by trying to defend it. Hmmm

Signed

Einstein

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, RandiRona said:

You may be right but exemption was provided so that he was able to board plane and land in Australia. That is Australia's failure who gave him permission to board and land but later rescind permission to enter when there was huge cry after his Instagram post. So blame lies on Australian government to not manage it better. You can expect this behaviour from China but not from Australia where laws are established and hopefully followed.

Get a live

• Haha 1

Here is what Rafael Nadal has to say about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/06/rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic-australian-open-tennis-vaccinated

“The only thing that I can say is I believe in what the people who know about medicine say, and if the people say that we need to get vaccinated, we need to get the vaccine. That’s my point of view,” said Nadal. 

“I think if he wanted, he would be playing here in Australia without a problem. He made his own decisions, and everybody is free to take their own decisions, but then there are some consequences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Virt said:

Here is what Rafael Nadal has to say about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/06/rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic-australian-open-tennis-vaccinated

“The only thing that I can say is I believe in what the people who know about medicine say, and if the people say that we need to get vaccinated, we need to get the vaccine. That’s my point of view,” said Nadal. 

“I think if he wanted, he would be playing here in Australia without a problem. He made his own decisions, and everybody is free to take their own decisions, but then there are some consequences.

Very reasonable. Nada'ls a good guy. So's Fed.

Novak's dumb as a post. Great top-spin forehand though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Very reasonable. Nada'ls a good guy. So's Fed.

Novak's dumb as a post. Great top-spin forehand though.

He is from Serbia so that has maybe something to do with it?

Serbia have 47% fully vaccinated which is ridiculously low.

Just like many of the other eastern European countries.

Why do so many eastern Europeans countries have so many anti vaxers?

• Like 2

So much noise for a man that wants to retain integrity of his body and so little 'real' info on the subject. Have we forgotten the EU football Cup, Where thousands traveled throughout EU?

Where they v....ted? Did any of the fans qua...tine? Did any footballers qua...tine?

G7, Did anyone qua...tine? G20 same same.

Wake up people, perhaps is not too late....

8 minutes ago, MMF said:

So much noise for a man that wants to retain integrity of his body and so little 'real' info on the subject. Have we forgotten the EU football Cup, Where thousands traveled throughout EU?

Where they v....ted? Did any of the fans qua...tine? Did any footballers qua...tine?

G7, Did anyone qua...tine? G20 same same.

Wake up people, perhaps is not too late....

Who knows if he would be the one to bring in the next mutation such as the one recently found in France? If I recall correctly, omicron wasn't initially identified as a new variant until genomic sequencing was carried out. We have these rules for a reason. Tennis players should understand rules.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Sad 1

This would be a non-story, if it had happened to John Doe. But it's Djokovic and there are millions at stake. The point is not his right to remain unvaccinated (which no one is taking away from him), not about "apartheid", not about whether vaccines work or not, not about his purported immunity.

The point is that Australia has a law, like it or not, and Djokovic and apparently also the national federation were trying to circumvent it. I hope Australia will stand its ground, and ironically Djokovic will gain from it too as a no-vaxx hero.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The response from his camp and supporters reminds me of the childish & xenophobic response I might have expected a little closer to home :whistling:

If you wonder where Novak gets his outlook from, below is an interesting insight...

Srdjan Djokovic (father) said the decision was an attack on Serbia and its people.

"They're keeping him in captivity," he said during a news conference at his restaurant named after his son in the Serbian capital Belgrade on Thursday.

"They're stomping all over Novak to stomp all over Serbia and Serbian people."

"Morrison and his like have dared attack Novak to bring Serbia to its knees," Mr Djokovic said.

'I have no idea what's going on, they're holding my son captive for five hours,' he said. 'This is not a fight for the libertarian world, this is not just a fight for Novak, but a fight for the whole world!' he said.

'If they don't let him go in half an hour, we will gather on the street, this is a fight for everybody.'

But Srdjan said: “This has nothing to do with sports, this is a political agenda. Novak is the best player and the best athlete in the world, but several hundred million people from the west can’t stomach that.”

Jesus was crucified and endured many things but is still alive among us. Novak is also crucified... the best sportsman and man in the world. He will endure.”

The Serbian president, Aleksandar Vučić, posted on Instagram that he had “told our Novak that the whole of Serbia is with him and [we] are doing everything to see the harassment of the world’s best tennis player is brought to an end. In line with all norms of international law, Serbia will fight for Novak, truth and justice.” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bagwain said:

So you promote apartheid?

So do you not really understand how stupid that sounds?

23 hours ago, RandiRona said:

If you are in a country, you follow the law

Of that country, why there should be an exception? Like If you have a freedom of speech in states, doesnt mean you have it here in Thailand as well. Djokovic's has right to be not vaccinated. Australia has right to decide if they accept it or not. Only it should have been handled better, not give someone visa and later rescind due to public pressure.

Appears Djoko is just another entitled jerk. Like the gormless Aaron Rodgers of the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, RandiRona said:

You may be right but exemption was provided so that he was able to board plane and land in Australia. That is Australia's failure who gave him permission to board and land but later rescind permission to enter when there was huge cry after his Instagram post. So blame lies on Australian government to not manage it better. You can expect this behaviour from China but not from Australia where laws are established and hopefully followed.

Not correct. The exemption was NOT issued by the Oz Govt, it was issued by Tennis Australia, and it was not an exemption to enter Oz, it was an exemption to play in the tournament as an unvaccinated player. Djokovic had the WRONG type of visa to start with and could NOT provide any proof that he had a medical condition that exempted him from being vaccinated when he arrived at the border.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Apparently he's had it twice. Once about 6 months ago and approximately a year or so before that.

I spoke with a friend today in Sydney, we had a yarn about this stuff.

She is very savvy, highly educated, balanced, sanely sceptical, with sharp deductive powers and nobodies fool - careful about what she hears n reads so I tend to trust her.

Anyhow ... the thing seems to be that he simply did not meet the criteria to be allowed entry.

The Fed's are saying there is a criteria, clear and open to all to know about ... AND he and his 'team' were appraised when he applied for a visa to enter some time back and given every ounce of information to apply and comply with these 'BorderForce' criteria at that time (BorderForce a catchy militaristic new name for Immigration huh - coined by a dubiously sane and far-right leaning ex prime minister) ... but I digress ... He seems to have fudged or had documentation that was not kosher and when he arrived and asked to produce the suite of documents he knew he had to have to prove what his original application said he had he could not and so he was denied entry.

Mis K told me that as far as she can see he has been playing footsie (evasive, ambiguous) about being or not being vaccinated for weeks and weeks with BorderForce and was simply trying to enter the country to play based on his big name and that as a 'big star very important human being' he would simply bypass the law and do as he pleased. 

He is in a hotel (The Park) that is used by Border Force to hold both those denied visa's - and have the means and wish to appeal the denial in court (his legal folks are to attend court 10:00 a.m. Monday in Sydney to plead his case to be granted a visa to stay).

The hotel by the way is also used to house other non-visa detainees (people trying to enter illegally with forged doc's etc), refugees, and asylum seekers, and visa overstayers awaiting deportation. 

There's a few folks outside the hotel waving Serbian flags and singing and chanting in support, or there was today during daylight hours.

He got zero traction with our loose-with-the-truth PM today, and also zero sympathy from the opposition Labour Party leader as well.

My two cents worth is; The bloke hits a ball for a living ... albeit he is a legend at that and neither this nor anything else gives him the inalienable right to obfuscation of abeyance of the law of a nation he seeks to enter and hit said balls. As we say in Oz; 'bu.ger-off mate!'

Update. Djkovic is in Melbourne not Sydney ...oops, my bad lol ????  

He was refused entry on these three grounds:

1. He could not provide proof of a negative PCR test (within the prescribed window) result and prior to uplift at his arrival point into Australia.

2. He did not produce a letter of medical exemption (which if produced would have wiped away the need for the third point).

3. He did not produce a valid vaccination certificate.

These immigration and disease control rules apply to every one who enters Australia at this time.

He WAS NOT granted a visa by the Australian Government BorderForce prior to landing in Australia. He was given a 'letter of support/permission to enter' by Tennis Australia which is a complete and utter nothing, and speaks to the lack of spine of Tennis Australia more than it does to the processes followed by our Customs officials.

To the folks who posted confused emoji's on my first post please share with us all what is confusing to you.

Edited by Tropposurfer

12 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Not correct. The exemption was NOT issued by the Oz Govt, it was issued by Tennis Australia, and it was not an exemption to enter Oz, it was an exemption to play in the tournament as an unvaccinated player. Djokovic had the WRONG type of visa to start with and could NOT provide any proof that he had a medical condition that exempted him from being vaccinated when he arrived at the border.

Please get your facts straight Randi.

16 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/australian-open/2022/australian-open-2022-uncertainty-reigns-over-novak-djokovic-dominic-thiem-rafael-nadal-as-grand-slam_sto8681315/story.shtml

With back-and-forths between the Victoria Premier and the Australian Prime Minister, and Djokovic remaining firmly non-committal, the presence of the world No 1 in Melbourne looked anything but assured. Even now, with his name on the entry list for the ATP Cup and the Australian Open, there are still some doubts over whether Djokovic will actually play.

Above article is from DEC 21st. As you can see that there was politics going on and it shouldn't come as surprise that Djokovic just landed with permission in his hand and later decided to withdraw. This is plain politics and unfortunate that public pressure overrided common sense.

8 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Please get your facts straight Randi.

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/australian-open/2022/australian-open-2022-uncertainty-reigns-over-novak-djokovic-dominic-thiem-rafael-nadal-as-grand-slam_sto8681315/story.shtml

With back-and-forths between the Victoria Premier and the Australian Prime Minister, and Djokovic remaining firmly non-committal, the presence of the world No 1 in Melbourne looked anything but assured. Even now, with his name on the entry list for the ATP Cup and the Australian Open, there are still some doubts over whether Djokovic will actually play.

Above article is from DEC 21st. As you can see that there was politics going on and it shouldn't come as surprise that Djokovic just landed with permission in his hand and later decided to withdraw. This is plain politics and unfortunate that public pressure overrided common sense

7 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Above article is from DEC 21st. As you can see that there was politics going on and it shouldn't come as surprise that Djokovic just landed with permission in his hand and later decided to withdraw. This is plain politics and unfortunate that public pressure overrided common sense.

the only politicking was from the Victorian Premier. The prime minister never wavered from the current actual requirements for entry into Oz, especially as both Tennis Australia and the Victorian premier both received 2 lots of written correspondence from the Oz govt in Nov clearly outlining the requirements to enter Oz.  So as per another poster get your facts right randirona.

Why should this raise the issue of the right to remain Unvaccinated.

What it should do, is raise the issue as to why people like this think they are beyond, and above the Laws and rules imposed ( for whatever reason, not just Covid ) that any Government has in place.

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A warm welcome from the Nanny State, as an Australian Citizen, this is embarrassing to say the least, add to that the typical Tall Poppy Syndrome being dished out to him makes me sick to the core.

This is a total deflection from the state and federal governments with an election looming in the background, a sure winner on gathering points, i.e. we got your back, see no one can enter the country without following our guidelines, however others have been granted visas and allowed entry, but pick a celebrity (scapegoat) and that is pure 100% news that will linger for a while.

The fact of the matter is he is not a threat to anyone, Omicron cases are reaching 40,000 a day and we all know it's not Delta, suffice to say they should assess his age, fitness and if he can pay his hospital cost if admitted for treatment.

This is nothing but politicisation of an individuals right, that said, this bloke is a business, at stake is a 21st title and sh-t loads of dollars, but nope you haven't been vaccinated which in affect doesn't stop you getting the virus or spreading the virus, this is all about CONTROL.

Has anyone asked how many businesses have folded because of the governments decisions to lockdown 5 times ?

Fortunately for him, he has money to keep his business going, unlike many businesses being forced to shut down, and many more to follow with more lockdowns heading their way, why because of poor policy making decisions, " continuing to now protect their citizens from either a cold, a flu, or death, the latter depending on predominantly your age, comorbidities, obesity etc etc, but if your relatively healthy, it's a walk in the park, like the cold/flu, if your not, well, death catches up with us, and one fact no one can dispute is, that we are all going to that unknown place, death.......look out for the boogie man, he is coming, quick run !!!

For the record I am not a fan of tennis or other sports, but do support one's individual rights to forgo getting a vaccine or any other thing they feel strongly about, especially when the vaccines do not stop us from getting it, so in fact he is not better off, that is the key issue here, he would be no better off with the vaccine, seriously, think about that, and if he gets infected, which he will, he knows he has a good chance of knocking it on its head as hundreds of thousands are doing.

Shame on you Australian state and federal government and you wonder why most of us expats left the "lucky country".

I hope he wins his court appeal and gets to play, just to stick it up everyone.     

Funny you should ask about businesses folding because of lock down. Australian businesses were on fire mostly until lock downs stopped and the virus exploded. Now retail spending has plummeted because people won't go out unnecessarily. I made this prediction many times as an argument against opening up until vaccine rates were higher. The medical profession were recommending 95% to defeat delta.

Meantime, they aren't just picking on Djokovitch or tall poppies. It's about messaging, telling people there are no exceptions to getting vaccinated.

Australian Border Force cancels tennis player Renata Voráčová's visa ahead of Australian Open.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-07/australian-open-renata-vorackova-visa-border-force/100745226

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/anz-bank-says-australians-are-spending-less-than-ever-in-the-new-year/news-story/fc7f385fc658bf569982bcb085fae944

Edited by ozimoron

14 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Update. Djkovic is in Melbourne not Sydney ...oops, my bad lol ????  

He was refused entry on these three grounds:

1. He could not provide proof of a negative PCR test (within the prescribed window) result and prior to uplift at his arrival point into Australia.

2. He did not produce a letter of medical exemption (which if produced would have wiped away the need for the third point).

3. He did not produce a valid vaccination certificate.

These immigration and disease control rules apply to every one who enters Australia at this time.

He WAS NOT granted a visa by the Australian Government BorderForce prior to landing in Australia. He was given a 'letter of support/permission to enter' by Tennis Australia which is a complete and utter nothing, and speaks to the lack of spine of Tennis Australia more than it does to the processes followed by our Customs officials.

To the folks who posted confused emoji's on my first post please share with us all what is confusing to you.

I find this hard to believe. The airlines would refuse to board people without a valid visa and a negative PCR test,  as anyone who came back to Thailand experienced it. I'm not aware of anyone being able to fly with "letter of support". I'm flying back to Sydney in a few weeks and don't think I can turn up at the airport without a negative PCR test and expect to board.

• Like 1