Wow...Transfer(wise).....that part of the screenshot at the bottom was not there 20 minutes ago

Wow, that now is an explanation why some posters reported this problem and others (like me) do not have a problem.

Have three accounts at exactly these three.

What seems unclear to me: does it effect only services like WISE?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wow, that now is an explanation why some posters reported this problem and others (like me) do not have a problem.

But it says effective from today, 1:00 pm ? ???? It seems to have been effective before then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No...thats clearly (in my opinion) relating to all inbound transfers

Doubtless some using swift etc etc can confirm or deny in the coming days

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

This appears to be a domestic within Thailand regulation, but as Wise pays from domestic accounts they can not send to banks they do not have accounts with (the three exceptions listed) an amount over 50k.

Not 100% on what you are getting at RE: domestic

Is this like when Mexicans in USA want to send wages home to Mexico they are limited in the amount?

So if I was sending money to a Thai friend via Wise to their bank I can only send up to 50k to non-Thai bank but larger amounts (within Wise's limits) to Thai bank?

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Won't this affect those sending 65,000 baht for their retirement visa if using that method?

another case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

As said no effect if using the 3 banks listed - if not you just send 2 transfers (as I normally do anyhow).  The 65k does not have to be in one transfer.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chivas said:
1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

No...thats clearly (in my opinion) relating to all inbound transfers

Doubtless some using swift etc etc can confirm or deny in the coming days

"No...thats clearly (in my opinion) relating to all inbound transfers".

Clearly, nonsense.  Why would the Bank of Thailand instruct banks not to accept funds into Thai accounts that exceed about USD 1500?    There are no such SWIFT limitations 

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"No...thats clearly (in my opinion) relating to all inbound transfers".

Clearly, nonsense.  Why would the Bank of Thailand instruct banks not to accept funds into Thai accounts that exceed about USD 1500?    There are no such SWIFT limitations 

lol well I suggest you actually read this time the bottom of the screenshot.....................

Someone in the interim has sent me a PM saying that a £2350 transfer inititated via swift had been put on "hold" on the 4th January (in hindsight because his bank was not one of the listed three)

Lets wait and see how it unfolds before you have a kneejerk reaction doubtless because your bank is not named

Failing that start your own thread fella

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chivas said:

lol well I suggest you actually read this time the bottom of the screenshot.....................

Someone in the interim has sent me a PM saying that a £2350 transfer inititated via swift had been put on "hold" on the 4th January (in hindsight because his bank was not one of the listed three)

Lets wait and see how it unfolds before you have a kneejerk reaction doubtless because your bank is not named

Failing that start your own thread fella

That was not a kneejerk reaction.  There are no inbound restrictions on normal SWIFT transfers, bank to bank/financial institutions, which is what SWIFT transfers relate to. 

My banks are irrelevant (but, sorry to disappoint you, included in those mentioned), as are anyone else's when SWIFT is being used.  I don't use Wise as it is not a bank  You do know what SWIFT is, yes?    Fella.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

No issues with two SWIFT transfers this week from Chase in the US to Citibank Thailand. Both in USD and each well in excess of the equivalent of THB50,000.

I suspect some regulatory lobbyists working for SWIFT got their ways with "small payment" processors like WISE

3 hours ago, Mang Gon said:

50,000 baht = $ 1493.21 USD todays rate

Does anyone know how many transfers can be made daily/monthly to a bank?

I got a similar email last year. I use CurrencyFair which is very similar to Wise. The gist of the mail was if you wish to send more than 50k, send it in multiples. It did not state a limit to the number of daily transactions but I have not tested it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I got the same message from my provider in November. I use CurrencyFair which is similar to Wise. A summary of the mail was anything over 50k may have to do go via SWIFT and could take longer and be more expensive. Multiple transfers of less than 50k would be fine. Don't shoot the messenger here as I am not exactly sure what SWIFT is, just reporting what the mail said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

This is Thailand specific.  Wise has accounts at the three listed banks and makes payments to other banks in Thailand from those accounts.  You can send any amount to BBL/SCB/K but to any other Thai Bank it must be below 50k for each transaction.  

What is not clear is if this is a general rule that Thai bank transfers must be less than 50k (which seems unlikely) or something special due to Wise systems of payment from local accounts not meeting paperwork requirements.  

Wise now uses SCB as one of there partner banks?   You got a reference for that?

Below Wise web page only refers to Bangkok Bank, Kaiskorn Bank, and DeeMoney as its partners in Thailand.  This webpage talks get a FET/Credit Advice from the three financial companies/banks that Wise deals with...uses to complete Wise transfers.   Wise also use to use TMB years ago but I don't think Wise and TMB (now TTB) have partnering relationship anymore.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers?origin=search-thai+baht

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You think? Are people already having problems as it doesn't become active until tomorrow?