3 year overstay

It depends how much your friend wants to stay in Thailand and how much cash she has. Contacting a Visa Agent would be the safest step to trying to remain but also the most expensive. Going directly to immigration would be taking a risk but if the officer was receptive to a bundle of cash could work out the less expensive method. Getting a Thai friend of some standing to telephone in advance asking 'hypothetical' questions and obtaining the IO's name would help. Going to the airport and asking immigration 'how much above 20,000 to avoid a ban?' could work but may be too stressful?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Serves her right , no sympathy !

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Who is asking for sympathy? A request  for information  and advice  was made. Your knee jerk judgement  is neither appropriate or warranted

What prevented her from doing what (almost) everybody does and do her TM 47 every 90 days? After 3 years in Thailand, she should know the score. Now she has to face the music. Besides, don’t tell me she didn’t know about the consequences of flouting immigration rules. So, yes, no sympathy.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Going to the airport and asking immigration 'how much above 20,000 to avoid a ban?' could work but may be too stressful?

No chance in the airport, only chance would be to try and fix it from within now and otherwise surely a ban. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

No chance in the airport, only chance would be to try and fix it from within now and otherwise surely a ban. 

Where do folk dream this stuff up.

In any event here are the OP,s words couple of posts up.....

"Thanks for all of the USEFUL advise. She has the money in hand and will leave shortly."

And BTW that's exactly what the friend with overstay should do asap..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you want to try to fix this kind of serious issue by bribing the officials, under no circumstances try doing so directly unless the official has initiated the process. That is extremely risky, and should not be attempted either at the airport or at an immigration office. If you do this with the wrong official, you can end up in a world of hurt. Always use an intermediary

Seriously this is Dreamworld.

The reality is that the OP perhaps ran out of money (usual reason) and has been on long overstay.

Somehow has managed to acquire 20k for flight along with cost of flight. Simple.

Some of these posts re large bribe to overcome the issue is frankly nonsense. 

Agents would say the same. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

At this appointment the IO offered to undercut any agent’s price. We now deal exclusively with the same officer

What a leap of faith or not sure what.....

Your comparing dealing with an io or perhaps paying on the spot driving issue to scale up to a situation of 3 year overstay.

This thread is like playschool..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What a leap of faith or not sure what.....

Your comparing dealing with an io or perhaps paying on the spot driving issue to scale up to a situation of 3 year overstay.

This thread is like playschool..

Everything is negotiable. How you go about it is the issue.

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Important is that she goes to the airport on a few hours before her flight.

Then there is enough time that she pays and then she leaves.

Anyone exiting with an overstay is directed to the payment area near to the Immigration counters, pays and gets their passport stamped accordingly, it takes a few minutes at the most.  There's no need to go hours earlier than normal but, as with a normal exit, it's always best not to leave it until the last minute.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

But that still doesn't stop the immigration officer trying to find fault with my application. He doesn't make money if you are legit.

Actually they're helping you, although it may not feel like it. It doesn't help them (or you) if they keep sending faulty applications up the line to their superiors for inspection and signature.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:30 PM, overt2016 said:

A female friend is approaching 3 years on overstay.

She wants to know what would happen if she just turned up at immigration

at the airport to board a flight out of Thailand.

She presents herself at the Immigration counters, same as everyone else leaving, apologising for the overstay can't do any harm, be shown to the nearby office to pay the fine, passport is stamped accordingly then she goes to wait for her exit flight with all the other passengers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I was told of an English farang that got banned on being deported for overstay. On getting back to the UK he reported his passport lost/stolen obtained a new one and came back. I assume it's not true but...............?

Maybe in the days before Immigration was properly computerised but no longer possible.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 5:46 PM, toofarnorth said:

Serves her right , no sympathy !

Quite right.  People like this stupid person just makes it harder for the rest of us who do follow the rules.  Hopefully  she will get a 10 year bad. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

However, didn't she worry? My visa status is checked at hotels, apartment buildings, banks, etc. - How did she circumvent that for three full years?

Perhaps she stayed in the same apartment/condo/house for years and had no need to show them her passport/visa (my condo JP saw my passport 12 years ago when I moved in and never since), Perhaps she didn't stay in hotels and used ATMs or she was slightly dodgy and did everything with cash?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Seriously this is Dreamworld.

The reality is that the OP perhaps ran out of money (usual reason) and has been on long overstay.

Somehow has managed to acquire 20k for flight along with cost of flight. Simple.

Some of these posts re large bribe to overcome the issue is frankly nonsense. 

Agents would say the same. 

I agree with most of this.

You would be amazed at the mess some people with plenty of money can get themselves into. I know of an American millionaire who procrastinated his way into a long overstay, assuming he could buy himself out of trouble later. He did not care about the money.

As long as you have not been arrested or already blacklisted, there absolutely are fixers who can resolve long overstays without you being banned. Prior to Covid-19, it was not even eye wateringly expensive. It is still possible, but with land borders closed may now be much more costly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Anant72 said:

What prevented her from doing what (almost) everybody does and do her TM 47 every 90 days? After 3 years in Thailand, she should know the score. Now she has to face the music. Besides, don’t tell me she didn’t know about the consequences of flouting immigration rules. So, yes, no sympathy.

So what?  She wasn't asking for your sympathy.