Passport held by shady agent for 8 months - please help

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

You may or may not be on overstay. That will depend on whether the passport was mislaid before or after the extension was processed.

At this point, send a registered latter to the agent demanding to know:

1. When they lost your passport?
  2. Was an extension successfully processed?
  3. Can they guarantee return of the passport within the next two weeks?

Make clear that you intend to take legal action if you do not get satisfactory written answers to those questions within three days. [As a practical matter, the legal action would not achieve suitable compensation, but no agent who wants to stay in business would want to risk a possible very public court case publicising their incompetence.]

And the OP can follow the legal proceedings while locked up in the IDC

5 hours ago, Pravda said:

I was always wondering how can these agents in Thailand operate legally. You are absolutely under no circumstances supposed to give your passport to anyone. 

When you do file that police report and state you willingly gave away your passport, you may not get another one again.

If it is not returned and he has a receipt for it, it is stolen. The Embassy needs to be informed as well as the police. The Embassy may be able and willing to contact the agent and get some information which they need to issue a replacement 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP did actually explain why he used agent later. Something to do with certification of marriage doc. 

It's all in the thread. Have a read.

It's very relevant as I cannot understand why he used visa agent for that. 

Actually strange thread in my thinking.

People use agents  because it makes life easier but not in this case apparently. Getting help with a certification of marriage document would be a typical task suitable  for  an agent.

17 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:
47 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The problem with reporting it as stolen is that when he applies for a replacement he will be questioned and if his embassy discovers that he actually gave his passport to an agent and it wasn't stolen, that will constitute a false declaration on his application which is illegal and can result in prosecution.

Expand  

He will not report only "stolen" and nothing more to his embassy.  He gives a complete report of all details.  The embassy will have investigative personnel that will contact the agent.  And most likely will involve local police as well.

Just to say "stolen" is not what will occur.

That's what I said!..."The problem with reporting it as stolen is that when he applies for a replacement he will be questioned".

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That could be his biggest issue unless he lies and claims that it was stolen.   Of course, he could just say that he lost it but then he'd have to provide his embassy with a convincing story about why he didn't report it lost 5 months ago.   Then they'd find out that his visa expired, strangely, at the same time and that he was now on overstay.  The hole will keep getting deeper!

I always get a receipt  when I submit my documents/ passport   to an agent. And a photograph of the agent and IO involved often at their insistence. Did the OP get a receipt for his passport?

Edited by The Hammer2021

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Always 2 sides to the story and I can't follow OP,s account of events.

What more does anyone here need to know other than he gave his passport to an agent who has refused to return it and he now wants to know what to do about it now that he's on overstay?  The intricacies of how he got in that situation don't affect how he gets out of it.   They do ease the nosiness part, though!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's what I said!..."The problem with reporting it as stolen is that when he applies for a replacement he will be questioned".

He just explains  that an agent has it and refuses to return  it. He should go with the police  to the agent..I wonder if the OP lost his passport  and is just testing a false  story out.

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

He just explains  that an agent has it and refuses to return  it. He should go with the police  to the agent..

It's not "just" that easy as he's on a five-month overstay.   He has to bear in mind that the agent has more contacts with the police than he does!

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What more does anyone here need to know other than he gave his passport to an agent who has refused to return it and he now wants to know what to do about it now that he's on overstay?  The intricacies of how he got in that situation don't affect how he gets out of it.   They do ease the nosiness part, though!

Oh please. "Nosiness"?

The OP's account is unusual to say the least. 

8 months? is that a typo. 

What takes 8 months to process and furthermore who would wait 8 months. 

Again the OP mentioned a certification of some certificate? 

Strange. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think an attribution of guilt is being solicited thus the refusal to accept  the many reasons given why the OP might use an agent...lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is something wrong with the thread.

The OP gave very little input.

Then 8 months later and complain on a forum is just strange. 

Should never have gotten to this stage.

The use of agent to certify some marriage certificate was not explained fully.

Someone asked in the thread what exactly was required (other than myself). 

Always 2 sides to the story and I can't follow OP,s account of events.

Thats why i asked in my original reply if anyone smelt a rat, the OP is conspicuous by his absence in this thread and by the grammatical construction perfect spelling and punctuation of his OP i seriously doubt he is French either its all a bit Suss ????????

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh please. "Nosiness"?

Strange. 

Strange is some people's insistent nosiness on having been offered many explanations for agent use...lol

• Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Oh please. "Nosiness"?

Strange. 

Why does all that matter?  His OP is about losing his passport to an agent and what he should do about it now, that's all, he doesn't need to explain  the ins and outs of how it happened to anyone, regardles of how "strange" you find it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, LoeiI said:

Thats why i asked in my original reply if anyone smelt a rat, the OP is conspicuous by his absence in this thread and by the grammatical construction perfect spelling and punctuation of his OP i seriously doubt he is French either its all a bit Suss ????????

I tend to agree. It's suspicious  not because of why he used an agent but why he allowed 8 months to elapse and did not need a passport in those 8 months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

Thats why i asked in my original reply if anyone smelt a rat, the OP is conspicuous by his absence in this thread and by the grammatical construction perfect spelling and punctuation of his OP i seriously doubt he is French either its all a bit Suss

There are French citizens who are native-English speakers and many French people speak fluent English!  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There are French citizens who are native-English speakers and many French people speak fluent English!  

The OP joined AseanNow yesterday and has made 2 post. That's it. 

Perhaps having a chat with "well know agent" to find out where his passport has been for 8 months.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not "just" that easy as he's on a five-month overstay.   He has to bear in mind that the agent has more contacts with the police than he does!

Ah...the overstay. It can't be avoided though can it? It can be explained by the agent's  possession though..But, however the more I think about this OP and his sorry tale,  French man called Roddy only a forum member for 19 hours...goes into overstay for months, has let his  passport  be kidnapped...no need for a passport  for 8 months...Nah..Its BS. Time to close this entertaining  thread

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Speaking accurate English  and writing accurate  English  are two quite different  skills. Has he written about his problems on a French language  forum?

19 hours ago, JackGats said:

I get the jitters after 4 days when I leave my passport in the hand of strangers.

You let strangers have control over your passport?  Not a good idea.

Your passport is your personal property- well, technically property of the issuing Government- and no one can hold it other than you. 

19 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You let strangers have control over your passport?  Not a good idea.

In the ME employers always keep your passport even blue chip employers. They also  function as agents regarding  visas, work permits, travel permissions..On return  from leave/ holiday the employer  is required  to return  the passport  to the employer. It's the rule.

20 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

So the lazy, use an agency mob, will no doubt be jumping to their defence, as according to them it's the only game in town.

DIY.

Or maybe just people with better things to do 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

So the lazy, use an agency mob, will no doubt be jumping to their defence, as according to them it's the only game in town.

DIY.

This is the first story  I have heard about such a weird agent and customer relationship. I use agents  for everything  I can  here in Thailand and also Myanmar, Libya, Saudi,  England etc etc. Its convenient and  even if it were to be considered  lazy: so what? I use taxis instead of walking is that lazy? I use travel agents to buy air  tickets. Is that lazy? You have no right to call people lazy just because they prioritise their time and money differently to you! It's not your  business to make such judgements

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoeiI said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He hasn't been "conspicuously absent" from his thread!  He has responded, perhaps not in the time frame that you would like, though.

once in 114 posts i'd say thats pretty absent

You might say that but you'd be wrong, "absent" means not being here and he, obviously, has been here as you pointed out.  "Absent " does not mean being here only a couple of times.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Speaking accurate English  and writing accurate  English  are two quite different  skills. Has he written about his problems on a French language  forum?

Yes, I do know about the English language.   I've no idea where he's posted, ask him, not me.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I do know about the English language.   I've no idea where he's posted, ask him, not me.

I would love to ask him but he's been absolutely and totally  Absent for over 10 hours