How Early Can You Get The Vehicle Testing Done For New Tax Sticker?

JetsetBkk

Sorry about the title. What I mean is, I'm worried that I may need the engine fixed in my pickup: last year the testing station had a hard time getting it through the exhaust/pollution test.

So I've ordered a new air filter - which is what the guys said was the problem last year - but I'd like to get it tested early in case there's more to be done to the pickup's engine to get it passed.

The current tax sticker runs out at the end of this month, so can I get it tested early and, if it passes, get the registration and tax sticker done early?

How early can I go?

30 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We did ours last year 20 days before the expiration and NO issue!!

In fact ours is again due so we will be going to the test station next  week (Monday) and will ask if no one has a more definite answer ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You can get it tested whenever you want, you pay for it.

They might of course tell you it's not required because your tax isn't due, but that's just them wanting to be helpful, if you insist on them testing it they will do it.

Surely, a really old - e.g. 6 months old - test certificate will not be accepted by the transport office when you go for the yearly registration and tax sticker?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Surely, a really old - e.g. 6 months old - test certificate will not be accepted by the transport office when you go for the yearly registration and tax sticker?

Yes, sure, you would have to get it tested again in the valid time frame, which is up to three months early I think.

I mean if all you want is to know if your car is ok now, you can do it any time.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to FriendlyF and MJCM - looks like I'll be going tomorrow, before my new air filter arrives, just to see whether it's OK.

I really ought to buy another pickup, but it's been with me since 2004 and I've grown attached to it!  ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Sorry about the title. What I mean is, I'm worried that I may need the engine fixed in my pickup: last year the testing station had a hard time getting it through the exhaust/pollution test.

I'd suggest using a different test station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, big dendrobenaes said:

ohhhh dear me........what a comment

IN THE UK IT IS KNOWN AS A TAX DICSC.....

YOU are so clever ARE YOU NOT.......

Because in the UK it's round, like a disc. In Thailand it's not round, so it's not a disc.

You started with the nitpicking about sticker/disc, then at least be consequent.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

So for a car is that 7 years from the reg date in the Blue Book. So if my car is 7 years old on 7.7.2022 i can tax it without a test just before that date?

No.

Without the test certificate and mandatory insurance you can not pay tax.

Your due date for tax is surely after 7.7.?

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

So for a car is that 7 years from the reg date in the Blue Book. So if my car is 7 years old on 7.7.2022 i can tax it without a test just before that date?

No. The idea is that a car running on the road on its 8th year must be tested. The new tax sticker (or disc for those who think we are in the uk) will be valid through the 8th year of the car and therefore must be tested before approved. 

13 hours ago, mikecha said:

Get the car serviced  on time then no issues 

20 days before expirer  

Servicing? Ah, yes, I remember servicing. I think the last time I had it serviced was a big service in 2008 when they checked the timing chain. After that I just had regular, yearly oil changes. 

But today it passed the Vehicle Test, so I'm happy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd suggest using a different test station.

Funny you should say that... but I went to the same one as the last several years, and during the tests they revved the engine just like last year, a cloud of black soot came billowing out just like last year, but they didn't stick the metal pipe up the exhaust!

I didn't say anything, of course.

:whistling:

• Haha 1