ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

25 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm staggered at the savings you could have made. Maybe 190,000 baht saved.  Does that stagger you?

No, that's not even a decent bottle of wine a week, it's like lunch for one at Sizzler, once a week. 

25 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think it's staggering, I'm truly staggered.

You said that. 

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm staggered at the savings you could have made. Maybe 190,000 baht saved.  Does that stagger you?

I think it's staggering, I'm truly staggered.

Please show your numbers, including what EV Mr. Y-tail should have bought to replace the Fortuner 8 years ago?

handfull-fresh-red-cherry-woman-260nw-1141883168.jpg

FB_IMG_1723946834757.jpg

I found this yesterday on an MB Forum that I belong to …

No idea if there will be much interest but it might pass the day for someone …

IMG_7348.thumb.png.2800cf9403f2396c74d633f1293aa79c.pngIMG_7349.thumb.png.d880f69a28a00cb202d964432fb42dc8.pngIMG_7350.thumb.png.46a55fa127a76140da4cf8e2c13b93c2.pngIMG_7351.thumb.png.b8ec6fd5f52fe87c514069f9b80e0b79.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Please show your numbers, including what EV Mr. Y-tail should have bought to replace the Fortuner 8 years ago?

handfull-fresh-red-cherry-woman-260nw-1141883168.jpg

FB_IMG_1723946834757.jpg

This one.

Seriously, the savings I quoted would be correct if you repeated that exercise today.

Temp1.png

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

This one.

Seriously, the savings I quoted would be correct if you repeated that exercise today.

Temp1.png

What SUV would I buy in Thailand today as big and spacious as the Fortuner, that is an EV, and what would it cost? 

And you have no idea what the savings would be, because you have no idea what how fuel costs will change. What did you base the savings on anyway? 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What SUV would I buy in Thailand today as big and spacious as the Fortuner, that is an EV, and what would it cost? 

And you have no idea what the savings would be, because you have no idea what how fuel costs will change. What did you base the savings on anyway? 

I'm not the best guy to ask about SUV's as I don't like them.

There are quite a few both BEV and PHEV.

I based the savings on about a 75-80% reduction in fuel cost which is about par for the course on two similar sized vehicles.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm not the best guy to ask about SUV's as I don't like them.

There are quite a few both BEV and PHEV.

I based the savings on about a 75-80% reduction in fuel cost which is about par for the course on two similar sized vehicles.

Well, I've looked at a number of EVs, and I have not found one. 

How do you come up with 75-7-80%? 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, I've looked at a number of EVs, and I have not found one. 

How do you come up with 75-7-80%? 

Generally, 75-80% reduction in fuel cost is about right.  @KhunLA is the expert at keeping statistics, maybe he will weigh in?  He has had DinoJuice and EV versions of the same car.

17 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Generally, 75-80% reduction in fuel cost is about right.  @KhunLA is the expert at keeping statistics, maybe he will weigh in?  He has had DinoJuice and EV versions of the same car.

KuhnLA uses mostly solar.

In any event, you just made it up. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

100,000 km over eight years is average 12,500 km per year

This site provides 

Historical Retail Oil Prices going back to 2015 so you should be able to work out your fuel costs for each year rather than take current fuel cost and x that by 8 

https://www.bangchak.co.th/en/oilprice/historical?year=2024

I used my actual cost. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

OK, I’ll give you a worked example with my actual cost, if I had to pay for the electric, which of course I don’t.

My Benz would do 10km/l on the round trip between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. 36 liters of petrol.

My BYD Seal will do it using 85% of the battery. 70Kwhrs of energy.

30 liters of petrol is 1,332 baht

70 Kwhrs of electric is 280 baht at PEA rate.

The road is terrible across the mountains and through small towns, most people average 60 km/hr.

Which really has nothing to do what my savings would be if I replaced the Fortuner with an EV the same size and configuration as my existing vehicles. 

The 2.8L Fortuner gets ~12.5 at 100kph, and ~11.3 at 120kph. Around town it gets 10.5, which is about the same as it has always gotten. 

If fuel were free, the most I could save is about B600 a week, and probably half that when my boy finishes school and I'm not driving out to Salaya all every week. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you guys think that what the meter reads is what goes into the battery? Is there not at least a 10% loss? 

Reference to ?

If you mean charging at home, yes, some is lost, but I also used ฿5/kWh/unit, which I don't think any homeowner is charged, unless really abusing the AC for a large house.

I don't think we've been charged ฿4/kWh/unit in the last 2 years, though our largest PEA bill was only 111 kWh/units, I think.  (Sept 2023 / 3.9 per kWh)

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

These are numbers I ran some time back on the MG savings: 

MG EV  Comp.png

MG ZS EV cost ฿869k on rotating sale (as low as ฿829k), and ฿949k when not on sale.

So you may need to adjust those numbers, as only 70k or 30k more if lucky enough to follow the sale and snag one on sale.  So ฿224k is way off.

And if people are counting pocket change when making big purchases, maybe they should get a Ciaz or Wuling Air.

Or stick to a MC, Ebike or bicycle.  Maybe walk and lose a few kgs.   Certainly wouldn't hurt a few too many folks that I see :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

MG ZS EV cost ฿869k on rotating sale (as low as ฿829k), and ฿949k when not on sale.

So you may need to adjust those numbers, as only 70k or 30k more if lucky enough to follow the sale and snag one on sale.  So ฿224k is way off.

Post link to the official prices on the website and I'll update it. 

And if people are counting pocket change when making big purchases, maybe they should get a Ciaz or Wuling Air.

Or stick to a MC, Ebike or bicycle.  Maybe walk and lose a few kgs.   Certainly wouldn't hurt a few too many folks that I see :coffee1:

I'm not interested in buying a new vehicle to save the cost of a few lattes a week. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Post link to the official prices on the website and I'll update it. 

I'm not interested in buying a new vehicle to save the cost of a few lattes a week. 

From 'my post'

image.png.845edf80ec9fb2dafff886054f589d9e.png

And not from me ...  ... think you need a number adjustment

image.png.2441a5ab1c240cda0a360cae94d61094.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really :cheesy:

For some reason, can't access MG TH, go figure, think I need to restart laptop.

Why is that funny? I saw the price for the EV, but not the ICEV. 

It's not your computer, I can't get to it either, that's why I asked. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why is that funny? I saw the price for the EV, but not the ICEV

It's not your computer, I can't get to it either, that's why I asked. 

didn't know you were asking for that ... don't you have google :cheesy:

EV on sale now for August

Got to keep up with that BYD Atto 3 pricing

And mine is insured for ฿840k ... kind of wish someone would steal it, and we'd get a new one :coffee1:

image.png.e4e3d90fbb1708549f6057d6f471dde4.png

Edited by KhunLA

Posted (edited)

If looking for a new car, now is a great time to buy, ICE or EV, as one hell of a price war going on in TH.

Highly recommend you check out the MG promotions on MG site.  Need to click on promotions, as the site doesn't show the prices on front page, when selecting car model ... kind of strange.

Everything listed, I'd definitely take over any comparable JP badged POS made in TH.

Goes for BYD, GWM, NETA ... JP is falling so far behind with their junk, mind boggling.   Still riding that old fake dependably reputation that died a long time ago ...  IMHO

When the tires fall your car, does make you wonder :coffee1:

Strange the promo for MG4 is actually up ฿10k from last promo.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

didn't know you were asking for that ... don't you have google :cheesy:

EV on sale now for August

Got to keep up with that BYD Atto 3 pricing

And mine is insured for ฿840k ... kind of wish someone would steal it, and we'd get a new one :coffee1:

image.png.e4e3d90fbb1708549f6057d6f471dde4.png

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

• Haha 1