ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

As they say, a warranty is only as good as the company behind it, and a lifetime warranty is worthless if the company that sold it goes out of business or abandons the market. 

Assuming one's driving habits remain the same, I think as batteries degrade, more of the capacity has to be used between cycles, and as such the degradation will accelerate over time.

Incidentally, JC Penney had an automotive service department that, for a few years back in the '70s, sold the "forever battery" with an unlimited lifetime warranty, to the original owner, in the original vehicle. They no longer have an automotive division, but they are still replacing those batteries. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My aged lady friend can't charge at home, it didn't stop her buying an MG4 X-Power, she charges at PTT/Amazon about every 6 days and enjoys the coffee there.

Not being able to charge at home is inconvenient, but it's not a show-stopper for owning an EV depending on your life style.

I think one of the reasons EV's drive so much better than ICE is the ultra low Center of Gravity and that they are a heavier car.  Every heavy car I have owned has always driven better than a light car.

The low center of gravity is indeed an advantage. 

Are there any organized electric motor sports going yet? That would be a great way to promote them. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Are there any organized electric motor sports going yet? That would be a great way to promote them. 

The best handling EV I have driven is the MG4,  a racing category for that would be interesting

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Isn’t Formula E an organised electric motor sports?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Let's go real life, after 14 months, and 22.5k kms, battery degradation of our BEV was ~0.6 %.

0.6 % X 10  =  6 % X 2 = 12 % means still have 88 % capacity left after 

22.5k kms X 10 = 225,000 kms  X 2 = 450,000 kms driven

14 months X 10 = 140 months =  11.66 yrs X 2 = 23.33 years owned

Oh yea, today's petrol price & savings, using solar = 1.2+M baht saved over those 23+ yrs.

If using PEA, savings still about 980k +/- baht, I think

How many kms per liter do you get, and what will that cost you in 225k kms/11.66 years ?   That we won't pay, if all driving is local, and use excess solar at the house.

That approach is fundamentally flawed as you are assuming battery degradation is linear.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

That approach is fundamentally flawed as you are assuming battery degradation is linear.

Again, you ignorance shines, as most testing & research shows the largest degradation of battery life is in the very early stages of life, then possible in the extreme later stages of battery life, which highly unlikely, the rest of the vehicle would last as long as the battery or motors.   

Unless one is really racking up the kms every year.  It would take us over 25 years to put 500k kms on any vehicle.  If we only drove necessary kms, might take 50+ years, to put on half that, as we only need to drive about 5k kms a year, if that.

40 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

One of the things that makes this topic particularly unpleasant is that you, and a number of others who participate, are fond of making offensive and baseless personal comments as you did here.

Kind of thought the Alzheimer's remark was spot on, since you already quoted & replied to the exact same info you wanted me to post.  And less than 1 year ago.

Does boggle the mind how you forgot something so specific.

What's annoying is the people that have no interests in EVs, but spew a bunch of BS, they know nothing about.  And question and ask for verification from those that own, and know exactly what they are talking about.

I'm happy to be, and have been corrected occasionally, the the silliness some of you state and ask for is either complete & utter ignorance (no research) or simply trolling.

Seems every EV thread is about 10% information offered, and 90% information of trolls being corrected.  IMHO

My last 10ish post on this thread proves that, as have offered nothing new, simply pointing out and correcting the BS.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

There's a lot of fuzzy logic in these EV topics which is likely why the confused emoji is so widespread. Perhaps we should start handing out badges to our wonderful EV owners.

confused.jpg.f93ba83da22e8b86cfcb777c1019a5cd.jpg

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

But only behind a keyboard for sure.

Some are that way, but I'll pretty much speak my opinion the same, in person or on the internet.  

Your thought is valid, as I've invited a few local keyboard warriors to pop over to the house, years past, if wanting to discuss things in person.  None took me up on the offer ... go figure 😎

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Arrogant and ignorant, great combination! :coffee1:

HEY .... I think we're all thick skinned enough.   

Yes, I'll point out someone trolling or ignorant, or forgetful, as recently happened.  You think tranny & eow aren't trolls on the EV threads.  

Or even yourself & myself at times, though we're more reserved, and not pushing BS and misinformation.   Well except for the above post :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

HEY .... I think we're all thick skinned enough.   

Yes, I'll point out someone trolling or ignorant, or forgetful, as recently happened.  You think tranny & eow aren't trolls on the EV threads.  

Or even yourself & myself at times, though we're more reserved, and not pushing BS and misinformation.   Well except for the above post :cheesy:

Simply pointing out the obvious :coffee1:

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

@Yellowtail Perfect example of BS and or misinformation ... from another thread of someone actually asking for information.

"Used electric vehicles are depreciating 10 times faster than their gas-powered counterparts'

By that silliness, same priced ICEV & BEV bought at same time, depreciation driving off the lot with the ICEV, losing 10 % value, the BEV would be completely worthless.

Would he be simply ignorant, trolling or purposely providing misinformation.  Any or, and the forum really doesn't need such silliness, especially when the thread is a person (OP) actually looking for some guidance.

... nuff said

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Used electric vehicles are depreciating 10 times faster than their gas-powered counterparts'

By that silliness, same priced ICEV & BEV bought at same time, depreciation driving off the lot with the ICEV, losing 10 % value, the BEV would be completely worthless.

I have marked part of the quote in red to show we are using time not monetary value.

A simple example would be, the EV depreciated by the same amount as the ICE but much earlier on the ownership timeline. Both EV and ICE depreciated when leaving the dealer with the EV depreciating a significant amount more.

Note, the above is a fictional example, please don't take it seriously.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

I have marked part of the quote in red to show we are using time not monetary value.

A simple example would be, the EV depreciated by the same amount as the ICE but much earlier on the ownership timeline. Both EV and ICE depreciated when leaving the dealer with the EV depreciating a significant amount more.

Note, the above is a fictional example, please don't take it seriously.  

However, in Thailand they don't.

I'm trying to buy a second hand ORA Good Cat for my youngest daughter, they are just too expensive.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1