Non immigrant ‘O’ visa based on being over 50

Hi gents, back in February 2020 I applied for and was granted a non immigrant O visa based on being over 50, this was issued by the Thai consulate based in Hull, well covid happened and Thailand closed its borders and the visa never got used, my question is this, I’m arriving in Thailand just before the test and go deadline of the 15th January, I’m going to arrive on the visa waiver so I will have 30 days which I will then extend at immigration for another 30 days, I’m assuming that I can then get covid extension if they are still being issued, so is it possible to obtain the non immigrant O while I’m in Thailand and is this then extendable for a year? I’m considering using a visa agent as I really don’t want to tie up large sums of money in a Thai bank ….so is it possible to get the non O based on being over 50, I don’t want the retirement or the marriage visa…looking forward to any help anyone can give

many thanks 

OP, you can use an agent if you choose to. 

I assume you do not have Thai bank account. However the agent you use can also assist with that. 

Regarding obtaining covid extension after you obtain your 30 day extension to your visa exempt.

The covid extensions are due to cease on January 25.

Most likely will be extended and if so you can obtain a covid extension. You may not need one if your organized. 

9 hours ago, essex boys said:

so is it possible to get the non O based on being over 50, I don’t want the retirement or the marriage visa…looking forward to any help anyone can give

many thanks 

OP, just had a second read of you op.

You state you want a non O based on being over 50. ? Then state you don't want retirement or marriage "visa". What actually are you hoping to obtain? 

How long are you hoping to stay in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Hi Dr jack54, thanks for the response, I have a Bangkok bank account and I’ve had this for about 3 years what I’m trying to do is reduce the amount of money I have tied up in a Thai bank as it sits there doing nothing when I could be using it (as I’m doing now) to invest and earn money, I would rather go down the monthly income route but I haven’t been transferring regular amounts because I’ve been out of the country for over two years, I was looking at using an agent to get my first non O visa then use them to get the one year extension then during that one year I will be able to show the required amount in monthly transfers from my bank using transferwise (wise).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, essex boys said:

Hi Dr jack54, thanks for the response, I have a Bangkok bank account and I’ve had this for about 3 years what I’m trying to do is reduce the amount of money I have tied up in a Thai bank as it sits there doing nothing when I could be using it (as I’m doing now) to invest and earn money, I would rather go down the monthly income route but I haven’t been transferring regular amounts because I’ve been out of the country for over two years, I was looking at using an agent to get my first non O visa then use them to get the one year extension then during that one year I will be able to show the required amount in monthly transfers from my bank using transferwise (wise).

Plan you outline no problem.

As you point out you would need to start that income monthly deposit from when agent obtains your first extension. Then do your next and ongoing yourself using income method. 

Lovely thanks Dr jack54, in the first instance I will use an agent to get my non O without showing funds in my account, I know that will cost a lot more but it will give me the time I need to show monthly income for a year, then I can proceed on my own for further extensions 

Edited by essex boys

There are reports of Transferwise transfers not being coded as transfers from abroad.  Apparently there is a special box to check if the transfer is for visa (extension) purposes but that doesn't always work.  I always transfer directly to Bangkok Bank from my brokerage in America.  I don't know how many 65,000 baht transfers must be completed before you can apply for the 90-day Non-O but you could start transferring this month.  Maybe that transfer and one in February may be accepted.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration but you must have at least 15 days remaining on your permit to stay.

See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

The during the las 30 day of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa you can apply for extension of stay based upon retirement. You need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

I'm doing a 90 day Non O as well based on being father of Thai minor child. I'm listed as the father on Birth Certificate but not married to the mother but we've been together for 11 + years. In the US precovid I've had several Non O's issued using birth cert only but here in Thailand it states

"In case father is a foreigner, must present an official notarized document from a court of law certifying that child is biological offspring of the foreign father."

Any thoughts on this requirement.

24 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

If you really cannot afford to leave 800k baht permanently in a Thai bank account your life in Thailand can become complicated. You may wish to consider whether or not you  really want to stay here.

Read again what the OP stated...

"...what I’m trying to do is reduce the amount of money I have tied up in a Thai bank as it sits there doing nothing when I could be using it (as I’m doing now) to invest and earn money......"

• Like 2

I arrived in Bangkok on 29/12 with T&G on a 30-day visa exemption. Met with my visa agent in Chiang Mai on 04/01 and started the process for a 90-day Non O based on retirement. Already had 800,000 ThB in my Bangkok Bank account for over a year and had to get a letter from the bank. Went to CM Immigration the next day and started the 90-day Non O process to get it finished before my 30-day visa exemption expired and to avoid having to get a 30-day extension. Should get the 90-day Non-0 on 26/01 at Immigration and will apply for the one year Non-O in mid March and then secure it in late April. My agent, who I have known for 10 years, has made it quite easy.

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration but you must have at least 15 days remaining on your permit to stay.

See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

The during the las 30 day of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa you can apply for extension of stay based upon retirement. You need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

4 hours ago, Scottie12 said:

Can you please tell me what you're investing in (serious question).

even using Prasac bank in Cambodia on a  1 year term deposit earns ya 7.25 % 

You can never get any visa from within Thailand only Extension of stay

For this is over 50 will be a retirement visa which is 1900 baht and 800k in bank 2 months before and the next time a 90 days in due.

If you do not have 800k see an agent they may be able to help, there fees range from 13-25k

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

You can never get any visa from within Thailand only Extension of stay

For this is over 50 will be a retirement visa which is 1900 baht and 800k in bank 2 months before and the next time a 90 days in due.

If you do not have 800k see an agent they may be able to help, there fees range from 13-25k

Nup.

You can obtain a Non O VISA in Thailand from an entry from tourist visa or visa exempt.

That visa gives you a 90 day stay. 

Subsequently most will obtain 12 month extension.

BTW it's not a requirement visa.

It's an extension of your permission of stay. 

9 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm doing a 90 day Non O as well based on being father of Thai minor child. I'm listed as the father on Birth Certificate but not married to the mother but we've been together for 11 + years. In the US precovid I've had several Non O's issued using birth cert only but here in Thailand it states

"In case father is a foreigner, must present an official notarized document from a court of law certifying that child is biological offspring of the foreign father."

Any thoughts on this requirement.

Yes pretty sure they’ll need the court papers to extend nonO in Thailand based on support of a Thai child. 

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Nup.

You can obtain a Non O VISA in Thailand from an entry from tourist visa or visa exempt.

That visa gives you a 90 day stay. 

Subsequently most will obtain 12 month extension.

BTW it's not a requirement visa.

It's an extension of your permission of stay. 

How much agents charge in Jomtien for US/AU/UK age 50+ who doesn't want to park 800K baht for;

1. converting VE to Non O retirement visa with 12/15 month extension.

2. Help in getting Bangkok Bank account

1 hour ago, gt162 said:

How much agents charge in Jomtien for US/AU/UK age 50+ who doesn't want to park 800K baht for;

1. converting VE to Non O retirement visa with 12/15 month extension.

2. Help in getting Bangkok Bank account

Plenty of agents in Pattaya. 

Putting the bank account aside you would budget on 25-30k for Non O with 12 month extension.

Reports from few guys just needing assistance with bank account only and paying 5k.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Plenty of agents in Pattaya. 

Putting the bank account aside you would budget on 25-30k for Non O with 12 month extension.

Reports from few guys just needing assistance with bank account only and paying 5k.

In Pattaya, I just got a quote of 26,000K for 90 day Non O and 12 mos extension. I have a bank account. Agent needs 21 days prior to end of your stay to start process.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

In Pattaya, I just got a quote of 26,000K for 90 day Non O and 12 mos extension. I have a bank account. Agent needs 21 days prior to end of your stay to start process.

1,900 Baht if you do it yourself. No choice really.

26 minutes ago, steve187 said:

its 1,900 thb for the extension + 2,000thb for the visa

Plus in the case of the OP..... He is concerned with 'opportunity cost'.

8% is easily achieved even in a super fund. That's 64k baht p.a

Anyway each to their own.

I have my 800k in Thai bank as that suits me.

The OP is interested in using agent. Each to their own.