Thailand Named #1 Destination in Asia for Global Retirees

snoop1130

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Having been to many of the places on the list, If you add safety as a factor, the top half of the list would drop off. Portugal, Spain and France are fine but cost a lot to live as an expat. So I would agree Thailand should be near the top.

And Ireland, really 55,i guess if you like drinking. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Problem is, when Thais read this garbage they are likely to believe it and think it's true! Probably why their national news outlet is regurgitating it!

Mostly Americans read this, but look at the top 10, not at number 11. No idea why Thailand figures here except indeed: poor analysis

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

but the blames of the Government.. The foreigners bring Covid, Omicron, foreigners don't wear masks, don't follow the rules and much more....

Governments will always put out whatever they can to deflect blame, just look in Australia with Djokovic, he was infected, has immunity, but wanted to send him back after cancelling his visa. Anyone with half a brain knows it's politically motivated with an election looming, thank Buddha the judge saw through the BS, in other words he has equal and if not more immunity than me who has been double vaccinated, so they try to blame him as a threat to enter the country, national security, but they have 100,000 cases a day already building up already in the country, how do you think he felt ? I hope you see my point, there is always an agenda from governments. Hopefully Thai's are not stupid enough to believe what they government here says about farangs, but then again, it all boils down to ones educational standard which yes, is lacking here in certain parts of the country, now you have to ask yourself why, could it be because education is knowledge and knowledge is a powerful tool ?

40 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

But if they wnat o attrack more foreigners they should make you feel welcome and as I wrote also if you see how some tourists are being treated, It is not a real welcome.. just one example...

You and I will never be able to tell them anything different, so why even bother, their country, their problem, nothing to do with me, one could say the same for Australia with the treatment of Djokovic.

40 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Such a difference with the immigration here... Even if you smile it doesn't work...

I wai when I walk in, one nods his head with a stiff face, the others smile, so it depends on the person, and personally the one who nods his head with a stiff face does that to everyone, perhaps he had a tough up bringing, or isn't friendly, who knows, who cares.

• Like 1

Just wondering just how many of those who post disdain opinion are still in Thailand enjoying their retirement. If you still here, quess you have to make some adjustment to accomodate the inconveniences. Just can't wake up every day feeling victimazed. 

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Loh said:

Just wondering just how many of those who post disdain opinion are still in Thailand enjoying their retirement. If you still here, quess you have to make some adjustment to accomodate the inconveniences. Just can't wake up every day feeling victimazed. 

Not as much as I was......

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I take it you are referring to immigration rules, because I cannot understand any other rules that you could be referring to.

Not feeling welcome is with you, i.e. it's inside your head, what do you expect them to do, roll out the red carpet ?

I don't have a problem with following immigration rules, 90 day online reports, chalk and cheese, annual extension, chalk and cheese, it's time consuming and an effort, but hey, it gives me 12 more months to stay away from the nanny state I used to live in, so I have to put in the effort, just the same as I would if I was working to earn my wages, except, I am not working and I have all the time in the world.

Their country, their rules, if you don't like it here, there are other countries you can try to see if you feel welcome, but I believe what's in your head won't go away unless you let it go.

I don't expect Thai's to say good morning to me or talk to me, but I get it, those that don't speak English are shy and I have proven it time and time again, a smile says a thousand words, so next time a Thai is looking at you, try smiling and I will bet you 9/10 times you will get a smile back. When I do meet a Thai who speaks a little English, they will talk forever because it's good practise for them and makes them feel confident that they are actually communicating with another being from another planet.

Don't pay to much attention to the likes of the Anutin's of the world, he doesn't represent Thai's at all, he is just an egoistical rich mummies boy who didn't get a spanking when he was younger.

I feel very welcome here, and realise that the Thai's are not up to scratch when it comes to speaking a second language, i.e. English, as much as you don't speak a second language, i.e. Thai, and we are in their country, so it's up to you to make yourself feel comfortable, I would never expect them to roll out the red carpet for me, or even smile at me first, it's just not a thing they do, so don't feel to proud.

Oh by the way, I am not saying for you to go out there with a plastered smile on your face, just smile when approaching a Thai and see what happens, and if they don't smile back, don't let it get to you, could be a million reasons for it, the world we live in is not a perfect place and they could think you are acting weird or they have a lot of thoughts racing through their minds, no doubt Thai's more than us fortunate enough to be retired. I mean I wouldn't be smiling making the wages they make working and trying to buy land or a house or repaying a house or a car and not being able to afford an overseas holiday etc etc.

Top 30 Big Smil GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Very true. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roel said:

You wish.

Are authorities in the other jurisdictions being less draconian than in Thailand?  Certainly not in France and Malta.

What does surprise is the visa rating for Thailand versus Malaysia, unless Malaysia has closed its borders since Covid.

It is odd that the article says one can live in Thailand on 33,000 THB a month and yet the minimum immigration wishes to see to renew a retirement extension is 65,000 per month. 

• Like 1

"Internationalliving.com has ranked Thailand the best destination in Asia and the 11th best in the world in its 2022 global retirement index."

Ha, ha, ha.  Somebody got a backhander!!!  Make that the 1992 global index and it might be true.  but any foreigner, especially white ones, that move here for "the duration" these days have either failed to do their homework or they are daft.   I did, and if I had it to do again, I wouldn't.  Bad mistake -- although, in my defense, I can say it has changed A LOT since I came well over a decade ago.

Edit:  I will also note that despite having lived here over a decade and a half and never having left the country at all in over ten years, I cannot cross the border out of Thailand for five minutes and come back in without a huge headache and an expensive quarantine, solely because I am a white boy.  If I go and come with my Thai wife, she gets to go home.  No quarantine for her.  Is the the kind of double standard with which a retiree wishes to live?

Edited by Joules
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder how many people that reply, actually live in Thailand ?  If you do, and don't like it, why are you here ?

And the photo could have easily been taken in Thailand.  I think a few of y'all need to get out and about more often.

Bangkok ... maybe, if like the big city, But metro Chiang Mai or Hua Hin, sorry, you couldn't give me free accommodations to live in either, if not used just as a base.

DSN05380-2DN.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Drake said:

I would rather be here than any of those other top ten mentioned. All in all I like it here.

Agreed. I looked at Mexico, Ecuador, Panama along with Thailand when facing retirement over a decade ago. While those other countries may well have provided for my retirement needs, Thailand overall got the nod and I am very pleased.

25 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

YOIU are obviously not living here.  Or, if you are a foreigner, you are Asian.  That gets you a pass.  If you are not a white westerner, then you cannot understand.  By the way, you misspelled "victimized."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibook said:

It is odd that the article says one can live in Thailand on 33,000 THB a month and yet the minimum immigration wishes to see to renew a retirement extension is 65,000 per month. 

The relevance of that is, you'll have extra pocket money, and not just existing.  That's actually the amount of money I 'need' monthly for a comfy life here, and 30k is my 'living' budget.  I bring in 65k a month, so more than enough to be frivolous if I want.  I'm practical, but I have me share of toys.

For a 'foreign couple', then 130k a month requirement, may be a stretch.   But single retired person, and immigrations / visa is a snap.  Prove you live here / address & income.  How hard is that ?

10 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Agreed. I looked at Mexico, Ecuador, Panama along with Thailand when facing retirement over a decade ago. While those other countries may well have provided for my retirement needs, Thailand overall got the nod and I am very pleased.

Lots of places, I scratched due to adverse weather, earthquakes, and were some of my favorites to holiday at; Mexico, both coasts, Caribbean & S FL / Keys have their hurricane season..  USA has tornado season, west coast silly expense, Canada, too cold, along with top half of USA, W EU / expensive.  Nam & PI / Typhoons, Cambo / infrastructure, Laos / visa.

Scratched Muzzy countries, as too outspoken, and I like my head, and didn't research E Bloc of EU.   Africa, the freakin mozzies & flies are scary enough.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Lots of places, I scratched due to adverse weather, earthquakes, and were some of my favorites to holiday at; Mexico, both coasts, Caribbean & S FL / Keys have their hurricane season..  USA has tornado season, west coast silly expense, Canada, too cold, along with top half of USA, W EU / expensive.  Nam & PI / Typhoons, Cambo / infrastructure, Laos / visa.

Scratched Muzzy countries, as too outspoken, and I like my head, and didn't research E Bloc of EU.   Africa, the freakin mozzies & flies are scary enough.

My list was much shorter due to economic considerations. A sustainable $2400 USD per month so my own country was not feasible (OK, could have a rusting out trailer in Arizona or Florida. So, cost of living, medical care (heart cholesterol issue), safety, climate, culture ... OK, OK, I favor the asian female look ... and I lean toward Buddhism philosophically. Here a decade now, plan to go up the chimney at the local Wat at the end.

• Like 2