Halal food trends are booming

webfact

Biriyani-and-grilled-chicken-Halal.jpg

Obtaining halal certification is a growing trend among SMEs and start-ups and not only helps boost consumers’ trust and confidence but also serves as a springboard to the global market. (Biriyani and grilled chicken Halal shows in the photo)

Thailand has long been known as the kitchen of the world thanks to its abundant natural resources and tasty cuisine and now it is achieving global fame in another culinary category – the halal food industry. With strong government support and innovations in the e-commerce and food industries, the potential to grow is strong.

The global halal food market is expected to reach US$ 2,043.20 billion by the end of 2027, according to Coherent Market Insights. The growth is mainly driven by the increasing number of Muslim populations who require their diet to comply with their religion and the increasing acceptance of halal food among non-Muslims.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Muslims are expected to comprise over a quarter of the global population by 2030. There are approximately 2 billion Muslims around the world at present, making up about 25 percent of the total world’s population. Of that, around 3.2 million Muslims are living in Thailand.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/halal-food-trends-are-booming/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

Halal and Kosher were very sensible principles for desert dwellers without any real way of keeping food safe.  Today, they are unnecessary and cruel to animals.

What, may I ask, is specifically and uniquely cruel about Kosher laws, as compared to the treatment of animals by those who do not follow Kosher laws?  I know nothing about Halal, so I can't speak of it.  But as far as Kosher laws are concerned, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.  Yes, the killing and eating of animals is probably considered cruel by many (I'm a vegetarian, though I choose not to judge others choices), but I'm questioning why you're singling out the practices of these two religions as regards to their laws of raising, slaughter, and eating of animals, and claiming that they are cruel.  Do you think they are worse than the non-Kosher, non-Halal practices?    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

I used to manage a team of local Government meat inspectors in the UK.  Kosher slaughter was at least more professionally performed than Halal, but I considered both to be cruel as they added to the suffered and stress of the animals.  In both cases the animals are not stunned before having their throats cut.  The bleeding process is also performed while the animal is still alive and choking on it's own blood.  If it were not for the PC sensitivities, both religious slaughter practices would be illegal under UK and European law.  

How could it ever make sense that an animal must legally be rendered insensitive before being bled, unless the intended consumer happens to follow a particular religion?

The meat is sanctified because prayers are said whilst facing a city in Saudi

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I used to manage a team of local Government meat inspectors in the UK.  Kosher slaughter was at least more professionally performed than Halal, but I considered both to be cruel as they added to the suffered and stress of the animals.  In both cases the animals are not stunned before having their throats cut.  The bleeding process is also performed while the animal is still alive and choking on it's own blood.  If it were not for the PC sensitivities, both religious slaughter practices would be illegal under UK and European law.  

How could it ever make sense that an animal must legally be rendered insensitive before being bled, unless the intended consumer happens to follow a particular religion?

My whole life I was taught that the whole point of kosher killing was to minimize pain and stress.  A knife must be tested for sharpness before the slaughter is done, and if the slaughter is not done correctly (vein sliced apart cleanly), the animal was not considered killed kosher.  Of course, that meant that particular animal suffered.  I was also taught that when the vein was cut properly, the animal became unconscious immediately.  Perhaps I am misinformed.  And once again, I have no idea about the practices of Halal. 

I'm confused by your last paragraph.  I assume you mean the exact opposite...  how could it ever make sense that the animal is NOT rendered insensitive before being bled? 

Regarding stunning, I had heard many animals are improperly stunned, so that many more suffer as they are moved on hooks or conveyor belts.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I accept that we humans, as animals ourselves, want and perhaps need to eat other animals.  It is certainly the right thing to do, to slaughter animals in the most pain-free and stress-free way for the animal.  If in fact kosher slaughter is more inhumane, I would absolutely agree it should be changed.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mtraveler said:

My whole life I was taught that the whole point of kosher killing was to minimize pain and stress.  A knife must be tested for sharpness before the slaughter is done, and if the slaughter is not done correctly (vein sliced apart cleanly), the animal was not considered killed kosher.  Of course, that meant that particular animal suffered.  I was also taught that when the vein was cut properly, the animal became unconscious immediately.  Perhaps I am misinformed.  And once again, I have no idea about the practices of Halal. 

I'm confused by your last paragraph.  I assume you mean the exact opposite...  how could it ever make sense that the animal is NOT rendered insensitive before being bled? 

Regarding stunning, I had heard many animals are improperly stunned, so that many more suffer as they are moved on hooks or conveyor belts.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I accept that we humans, as animals ourselves, want and perhaps need to eat other animals.  It is certainly the right thing to do, to slaughter animals in the most pain-free and stress-free way for the animal.  If in fact kosher slaughter is more inhumane, I would absolutely agree it should be changed.  

In commercial slaughter houses, both Halal and Kosher. The beasts have their throats cut and then are strung up by their back legs to facilitate bleeding out. This causes agonising pain, displacing or breaking the hips. Slicing the veins is only part of this cruel and inhumane practice. Slicing the veins/arteries does not cause them to become immediately unconscious the brain survives for up to 10 minutes without nourishment depending on the temperature of the beast

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The Kosher certification process is very limited.  There are many different schemes, some better than others, but even with the best, the slaughterhouse audit process only takes about 30 minutes.  

By comparison, an EU site audit typically takes 2 days.

With Halal certification, there is nothing of any real value.

I agree slaughterhouse inspections need to be preformed. If you are Jewish or Muslim you should know what foods are Kosher or Hala approved. If you are a strict Kosher or Hala person go to the appropriate market.