changing from extension of stay retirement to by marriage

Hi I want to change my annual extension of stay from a retirement one based on an OA visa to one by marriage it's due in early April , I have the 400k already in the bank , I have a few things I'm not sure about , what do I put on the TM7 where it says visa type ? can I change it to O as the extension will be based on marriage or will I have to still put OA ? and will this mean I'll have to still have the health insurance and the 800k in the bank  ? 

Has anybody done this recently ? some first hand experience would be welcomed .

Thanks    

You will still put visa non O-A.

You need to continue with your financial obligations according to your previous retirement extension.

You most likely can just have only 400k 2 months prior to attending for you next extension.

Personally I would have it at 800k for the 2 months prior even though not necessary.

Of course all the other requirements for marriage extension submitted..

You will not require health Insurance for your extentions based on marriage even though you are still a non O-A guy. 

If you ever return to based on retirement you will require the insurance. 

Edited by DrJack54

16 hours ago, billywhizz17 said:

Has anybody done this recently ? some first hand experience would be welcomed .

I did so in April last year after 10 years on retirement. I refused to throw money at the corrupt insurance systems in Thailand.

The procedure outlined above by DrJack54 is correct.

It's important you have maintained the money in bank requirement for retirement (and insurance) for the current year as that is the extension you currently hold. I had over 800k in the bank for the whole year leading to the changeover  (insurance wasn't required at the Phuket IO where I applied previously). 

The issue of insurance bothers me.  I am planning to apply to change from a visa exempt entry (with extension) to a Non-O with an extension based on retirement.  Will I need insurance or does the application for the Non-O obviate the need?

1 minute ago, thaibook said:

The issue of insurance bothers me.  I am planning to apply to change from a visa exempt entry (with extension) to a Non-O with an extension based on retirement.  Will I need insurance or does the application for the Non-O obviate the need?

Insurance is only required if you entered the country with a Non-OA visa issued by a embassy or official consulate.

33 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

(insurance wasn't required at the Phuket IO where I applied previously). 

And many think that this is how it should have been.

Why the insurance was made retrospective for those already with non O-A was imo WRONG

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I did so in April last year after 10 years on retirement. I refused to throw money at the corrupt insurance systems in Thailand.

The procedure outlined above by DrJack54 is correct.

It's important you have maintained the money in bank requirement for retirement (and insurance) for the current year as that is the extension you currently hold. I had over 800k in the bank for the whole year leading to the changeover  (insurance wasn't required at the Phuket IO where I applied previously). 

"I refused to throw money at the corrupt insurance systems in Thailand."

Nice to see someone with his head screwed on the right way.

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"I refused to throw money at the corrupt insurance systems in Thailand."

Nice to see someone with his head screwed on the right way.

The OP has extensions from a non O-A. 

Since he is married he can do extensions based on marriage.

If single he would require retirement extension..

How would he avoid the insurance in that scenario..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP has extensions from a non O-A. 

Since he is married he can do extensions based on marriage.

If single he would require retirement extension..

How would he avoid the insurance in that scenario..

He could move to Phuket

or

He could pay a dodgy agent a princely sum to fudge it.

or

wait for the border to open and pop over to begin again to get extended on an "O"

Edited by Old Croc

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

He could pay a dodgy agent a princely sum to fudge it.

or

wait for the border to open and pop over to begin again to get extended on an "O"

Anyone on retirement extensions from a non O-A and wanting to avoid insurance, I suggest suck it up for the time being. 

Obtain cheapest policy with highest deductible and then when land borders open do border bounce to kill off the non O-A and upon reentry obtain new non O.