Lovelorn army colonel stabbed to death after damaging plastic chair at Bangkok beer garden

webfact

dn2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Violence erupted at a Bangkok beer garden last night that resulted in the death of a non-commissioned army colonel who was stabbed four times in the back.

He died later in hospital.

The assailant fled the scene and is being sought by Sai Mai police.

Cops at the scene of The Pratu Krung Thep beer garden found a lot of blood on the road to the rear.

Col Attakorn, 49, had already been taken to hospital.

A witness said that the colonel had joined their group at Pratu Krung Thep Plaza where they were drinking.

He had announced that "Nobody loves me - only you guys".

Nobody took the stranger too seriously, they just clinked glasses and got merrily drunk together.

When this shop closed the colonel tagged along with his newfound mates who met some soldiers at a table in the beer garden, reported Daily News.

They put the drunk colonel in a taxi home as they didn't know he had driven there.

But the taxi soon returned and the colonel got out and started having an argument with a man armed with a stick or club.

A red plastic chair was kicked and damaged by the colonel that enraged the man who would soon kill him.

The fight got more serious as the assailant kicked the colonel's vehicle door.

The colonel was then stabbed repeatedly. 

The assailant said he didn't mean to do anything and didn't know the colonel - he just recognised him as someone who sold vintage clothes. 

At this point the colonel was still very much alive and asked that his father be contacted.

There had been plenty of teasing but no one thought it would come to this. They were all very drunk.

A man helped the assailant escape the scene in a car.

Police are studying CCTV to get a lead in the case. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 8

6 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Would someone care to enlighten me - ' a non-commissioned Army Colonel' -???

Isn't NCO (Non-commissioned officer) someone who did not enter the army at that rank but instead worked their way up?  I think that's what it is.  Not sure why they need the distinction.  Sounds a little elitist.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You seldom hear of people with rank or power carrying out such acts of violence in western countries, here it seems to be much more common.

In the west it's normally the same demographic each time.

What rank or power was there in this altercation. The way i see it the army guy was the victim over a plastic chair. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't NCO (Non-commissioned officer) someone who did not enter the army at that rank but instead worked their way up?  I think that's what it is.  Not sure why they need the distinction.  Sounds a little elitist.

Basically you are correct, in Australia they have a similar system where a soldier has accomplished outstanding performance in his role but did not attend a Military Academy, however, there is a drawn line, I've heard of lots of 'Warrant Officers', but never to the height of Colonel without additional studies .... but who knows in Thailand where anything can be bought !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Of course violence exists everywhere and knife killings in the UK are spiraling but usually there is a motive even if sometimes minor. 

However I read more often of killings here where the attacker is  possessed by a sudden and uncontrollable instant rage over trivial issues. 

As you will know. The Thai language has a special word for this - Moho ( โมโห). 

You've obviously never met any of the nutters I've met in English pubs and venues ...

Motivation?

"Who you looking at?" " 'e screws me 'ead up" ...

Madness ... they had the ambulances on stand by in side streets at throwing out time in most of the towns I was in 'cos so many needed sometimes quite serious first aid and hospitalization after being 'glassed'. Making a verb out of a noun.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

NCO's normally finish at Regimental Sergeant Major or Sergeant Major, just below that ...... ranked lower than a Colonel but generally respected as GOAT. 

I can understand the interest in military title minutia...

But to me, the more significant element of this report is -- the Thai guy out drinking/drunk got stabbed in the back four times and was killed, for pretty much nothing and no reason.

"A red plastic chair was kicked and damaged by the colonel that enraged the man who would soon kill him."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Would someone care to enlighten me - ' a non-commissioned Army Colonel' -???

The " Colonel " sold vintage clothes, it would appear that he had dressed himself in a military uniform of a Colonel to go out for the evening.