Lovelorn army colonel stabbed to death after damaging plastic chair at Bangkok beer garden

webfact

4 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Would someone care to enlighten me - ' a non-commissioned Army Colonel' -???

Commissioned from the ranks - having made it up to the highest grade of senior  non commissioned officer, rather than being commissioned as a second lieutenant from the Military Academy, perhaps?

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

the Thai guy out drinking/drunk got stabbed in the back four times and was killed, for pretty much nothing and no reason.

Yeah, it's crazy the things that you hear of someone being stabbed to death/chopped up for here over the years.  I know most of our countries are far more dangerous, with much higher rates of violence and murder, but there's something about the way such an insignificant action can result in boiling rage that drives otherwise "normal" people to violently kill.

It's so senseless, and they often regret it afterwards.  Generally multiple lives ruined for nothing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Would someone care to enlighten me - ' a non-commissioned Army Colonel' -???

Only four days ago, I met a Thai man and his wife plus their son, all friends of my wife and connected with the Thai military through their careers. Apart from the son (now 46 years old) are retired Colonels; in fact the son is also a Colonel. I asked my wife a couple of times to confirm they were actual colonels and she assured me they were.

The article here that prompted your question makes me think that if colonels can be "non-commissioned Officers" then their status is not so high as The "Colonel" I understand whose  responsibility is for about 3,000 soldiers!

I now know 5 colonels arising from my wife's connections and it seems therefore, if true, colonels are more common than those below them (ugh!)

A bit of research on this does not really answer yours or my question, especially as it may relate to the Thai system.

In any event, a sad tale of a man - whoever he may be, has been murdered for the value of a plastic chair - which is virtually nothing!

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Without philosophizing too much on the matter, that's what loosing control dose to people when you're stupid drunk , as simple as that...

Exactly, but here, there is the icing on the cake, the women drink as much as the men and become just as stupid as them !!!

In fact, there is not even a debate. Thailand is a country like all the others. You had to be very naive to believe that it is the village of the smurfs or Disneyworld!
In any case, I hope that the Marketing department of the tourist office has been awarded a prize: "The land of smiles". I don't know of a teaser that has worked so well.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Thais are no more peaceful then Dutch or Brits or Americans. I read about senseless violence in my country. People getting beaten to death for fun during holidays. In the UK they have a knife culture and in the USA they shoot each other. So its not as if our own culture is so peaceful. 

Thais are no exception and there is a certain group like back in our own countries that is just more violent as the rest. 

Here here. The narrative so often trooped out that Thai's are somehow more devious (trying to hide or disguise this) and more or somehow differently depraved in some way that other nations is BS.  E.G. Take a look at the numbers of gun deaths in the US per annum (astronomical comparatively to any other nation on the planet) or the shocking number of stabbings in the UK per annum.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Confused 1

how come :

The assailant said he didn't mean to do anything and didn't know the colonel - he just recognised him as someone who sold vintage clothes. 

At this point the colonel was still very much alive and asked that his father be contacted.

There had been plenty of teasing but no one thought it would come to this. They were all very drunk.

A man helped the assailant escape the scene in a car.

Police are studying CCTV to get a lead in the case. 

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It remains so fascinating that several users here push the narrative that Thais have some sort of next-level peacefulness, when we see so many instances of Thais killing each other over the slightest and most trivial indiscretions.

Very sad for an evening to end up this way.  Especially attacked from behind with a weapon.

So often we see this senseless violence, normally followed by the perpetrator being led away and warning others not to be like them.  I wish they would teach about consequences a little more here.  But then maybe it wouldn't be as fun or relaxing as it is...

The article itself is so 

Poorly written I find it hard to understand, but someone got drunk didn't like being sent home in a taxi, returned and a fight started, then some one lost face over abusive comment and did his banana over the drunk tripping over his nice plastic chair 

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It remains so fascinating that several users here push the narrative that Thais have some sort of next-level peacefulness, when we see so many instances of Thais killing each other over the slightest and most trivial indiscretions.

Very sad for an evening to end up this way.  Especially attacked from behind with a weapon.

So often we see this senseless violence, normally followed by the perpetrator being led away and warning others not to be like them.  I wish they would teach about consequences a little more here.  But then maybe it wouldn't be as fun or relaxing as it is...

Lived here a very long time. And all this <deleted> about Thais being happy smiley people. I steer well clear of Thai males. Just do not trust them. Especially when drunk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't NCO (Non-commissioned officer) someone who did not enter the army at that rank but instead worked their way up?  I think that's what it is.  Not sure why they need the distinction.  Sounds a little elitist.

No a non commissioned officer in exactly that it is an NCO Cheif Warrant Officer and down to corporal.

Once you become an officer you are commissioned.

The only officers that are not commissioned are Petty Officers as that is the equivalent to a Sgt or Warrant Officer

To be a Colonel you must be commissioned.  There is nothing listed for a NCO Colonel.  I am wondering if that could mean he was a senior position in the non military government as they wear uniforms

In the beginning you bought your way into the officers Corp so you bought a commission.  IOf you could not afford to buy a commission then you wre a soldier no matter how good you were.

Easy way to look at it.  Officers think they lead and know  NCO actually lead and they do know

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't NCO (Non-commissioned officer) someone who did not enter the army at that rank but instead worked their way up?  I think that's what it is.  Not sure why they need the distinction.  Sounds a little elitist.

A non-commission officer is a sergeant not a colonel.

Er,sorry, how can he be "non-commissioned" and a colonel? Non comissioned military personnel are Pte. - WO1. If he is retired then he is no longer an army officer, although he may retain the title of Colonel if he so chooses.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Thais are no more peaceful then Dutch or Brits or Americans. I read about senseless violence in my country. People getting beaten to death for fun during holidays. In the UK they have a knife culture and in the USA they shoot each other. So its not as if our own culture is so peaceful. 

Thais are no exception and there is a certain group like back in our own countries that is just more violent as the rest. 

The knife culture that u mention in the Uk and Netherlands its the culture of these new “immigrants” 95% are foreigners coming to Europe from third world countries . Seems there are not tight corona alchohol restrictions in Bkk for locals?  

Edited by Destiny1990

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

The knife culture that u mention in the Uk and Netherlands its the culture of these new “immigrants” 95% are foreigners.

Damm dirty farangs.

• Confused 1

On 9/29/2021 at 3:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

I wonder why?!

4 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Only four days ago, I met a Thai man and his wife plus their son, all friends of my wife and connected with the Thai military through their careers. Apart from the son (now 46 years old) are retired Colonels; in fact the son is also a Colonel. I asked my wife a couple of times to confirm they were actual colonels and she assured me they were.

The article here that prompted your question makes me think that if colonels can be "non-commissioned Officers" then their status is not so high as The "Colonel" I understand whose  responsibility is for about 3,000 soldiers!

I now know 5 colonels arising from my wife's connections and it seems therefore, if true, colonels are more common than those below them (ugh!)

A bit of research on this does not really answer yours or my question, especially as it may relate to the Thai system.

In any event, a sad tale of a man - whoever he may be, has been murdered for the value of a plastic chair - which is virtually nothing!

From my time working with them a Thai LTC had about as much sway as a US/Western CPT. A full bird COL the same as a MAJ (Except for Commanders who seemed more like a US LTC). They're extremely top-heavy in the officer corps as they don't retire after 20 years and not so much up or out. Might be more generals than even the much larger US Army. 

Most of them tended to fill out bloated staff positions I feel might be more appropriate for a CPT/MAJ.  Usually, nice guys and fun to drink with.

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Thais in general are peace-loving, but obviously there’s exception to that, just like there’s exception to almost every rule on the planet. You make it sound like all the Thais are murderous psychopaths and they’re clearly not! 

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Why put on the moral cap, they were a bunch of drunks. Vs in America, where innocent elderlies get attacked just because they are Asians. 

• Confused 1

Only those who have never seen Thais really angry, esp. about someone "damaging" their belongings. - The high murder rate says more about Thais than their supposed religion, or kowtow rituals.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

An NCO is an enlisted rank a colonel is usually a commissioned officer 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The "non-commissioned" part was probably either a translation error or a "civvy" error (i.e. a civvie being someone with no knowledge of the military or how it works and just throws out words and phrases they've picked up from movies).

Generally speaking, all officers are "commissioned" and would hold what is called a "commissioning scroll" that they receive when they are promoted from cadet to 2nd Lieutenant (or equivalent).

"Non-Commissioned Officers" - better known as "NCOs" are everyone who isn't a commissioned officer. Basically everyone from Private to Chief Warrant Officer.

In Canada, Junior NCOs are Privates, Corporals and Master Corporals while Senior NCOs are Sergeants and Warrant Officers/Master Warrant Officers/Chief Warrant Officers. 

In the American military they have Officers, Warrant Officers (who hold a "Warrant" or a "Warrant's Commission"), Junior and Senior NCOs. Senior NCOs are those holding Sergeant ranks (Sergeant, Staff/1st Class/Master/Top Sergeant or equivalent).

Everyone starts out as a cadet (officer school) or recruit (everyone else) and then gets promoted (or not) up the "chain". 
In some (rare) cases, an NCO may get "commissioned" and become an Officer. In my 22 years of service I knew of 3 who did that.

The article was probably written by someone who doesn't know the difference between "Commissioned" officer and "Non-Commissioned Officer". A colonel would definitely be a "commissioned" officer.

I'm not sure Thailand is as serious about the distinction, this is a country where you can earn paratrooper wings without ever jumping out of an airplane!