How much credence do you give to reviews

poppysdad

The other week I asked my Thai lady to order something from Lazada and 30 minutes later I asked if she had done it but she said no because there was no feedback on that site so she was looking elsewhere for me. I replied just order it for me but she flatly refused to do so because no feedback. In the end I ordered it myself and it arrived 2 days later exactly as described, but she insisted I had taken a great risk. 
In many other instances in life I rarely read reviews because I’m of the opinion it so easy for anyone to over or understate something often purposely and on the odd occasion I do maybe for a hotel why do nine out of ten praise it but one runs it down badly. How can one persons experience be so different to everyone else, perhaps genuine but perhaps not and so it goes on with everything. What’s your opinion of opinions?

• Like 1

I have been victim to malicious reviews that i am unable to remove from Airbnb and google . I think the whole system of reviews on the net needs a overhaul to say the least .

I do not take much notice of reviews my self . Often you can see a pattern of fraud when they are all glowing reviews one after the other .

I read the reviews just to see that the thing ordered has been successfully delivered to others.

As for whether the reviews are genuine .....hard to tell.  If you see one seller selling the same thing as several others but at half the price ............beware !

I fell for this just the once . Bought a car dash cam for 350 baht that others were selling for two or three times as much. It had 84 good reviews with many reviewers also posting pictures of what the received which matched the description.

When my purchase arrived it was not the same as the one advertised , just a cheap Chinese copy which broke within 5 minutes of use. Seller only issued refunds if item was still unopened and in the box. Lazada were unhelpful. In the end I put it in the car since although it was broken any police checkpoints etc don't know this so at least it acts as bit of a deterrent.

People tend to leave 5 stars if the item just was delivered, or if the hotel had no cockroaches and stains on walls, or if they did not break the leg at the tourist attraction.

So I read only negative reviews (1-3 stars) and choose the product/place based on if I could accept the risks described in those negative reviews.

If the item has no reviews but looks like the one I need - then I'll buy it and will try to leave a detailed review myself, same with the hotel or tourist attraction.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

The information is there so I make use of it, silly not to, but I'm mindful of fake reviews and the possibility some may be malicious.

With Lazada I'm wary of suppliers that have no data, and will opt for one that has and ships on time and is well rated. But if I need something and there is no other option, depending on price and availability of COD I will take the risk.