Contactless NFC payment

Yes, I have a few Thai bank accounts, but what I liked about Samsung Pay was the possibility to store multiple credit cards. Sometimes there are benefits attached to a certain card, so I have e few from different banks. I just held my phone against the terminal, the same phone in which I store my M-card and B1, so just one device needed to complete everything. I will check Google pay, thanks for this.

3 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Yes, I have a few Thai bank accounts, but what I liked about Samsung Pay was the possibility to store multiple credit cards. Sometimes there are benefits attached to a certain card, so I have e few from different banks. I just held my phone against the terminal, the same phone in which I store my M-card and B1, so just one device needed to complete everything. I will check Google pay, thanks for this.

Google pay also allows for several CC to be stored and used...

3 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

A couple of years ago I decided to give it a try, but once I saw all the irrelevant permittiions the app wanted I didn't go ahead with it. All my CC's have contactless option now though. 

I am using ShopeePay app which provides a virtual MasterCard for use with NFC. Works like a charm. Only limitation is that it draws from the wallet balance, you can't have it deduct the amount from another linked credit card.

Why does this contactless payments stuff need to be so seemingly complicated here....

I have no clue what NFC payment apps are broadly accepted by Thai merchants. Google seems to keep changing the name and other details of their payments app. The OP says Samsung Pay has been discontinued.  Then there's also LINE Pay, which I gather is widely used.

Meanwhile, it seems everyone and their brother in Thailand wants you to use and pay for things thru their own individual app / digital wallet.

I guess all the retail and banking companies each want their own piece of the payments ecosystem. And meanwhile, they all seem to have forgotten the familiar maxim  -- KISS!   (Keep It Simple, Stupid!!!)

4 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Do you live somewhere that curve is available.. Its the perfect tool to manage multi card rewards.. 

I use it (along with google pay on phone) in the uk but here I go cash. 

On 1/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, MixPiano said:

Google (NFC) Pay doesn't support Thailand yet - no need to try. 

I believe the issue here is that Thai banks do not support Google Pay (and Apple Pay for that matter).

But you should still be able to use your phone in Thailand to pay with a non-Thai card.

Furthermore, to elaborate on another post, you can get a card from Curve. This is a “wrapper” card, so anything charged to that card, will simply charge an underlying card, which can be your Thai VISA/MasterCard, and you can then add your Curve card to your phone.

I should add that while I do have a Curve card, that I added to Apple Pay, and I also added my Krungthai MasterCard to Curve, I have not yet tested it in Thailand, as I haven’t been there since the lockdown.

But any device in Thailand where you can use contactless payments/NFC (which they call PayWave), should accept your Google/Apple Pay.

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

The app says its service is not available in Thailand. What options are there for NFC payments with Thai banks?

Not thai banks but using a compatible phone and farang cards maybe ok, Google pay etc. I only plan to use it when out of Thailand