Danish diving instructor in Thailand: We need better and long-term solutions for reopening

webfact

Screenshot-252.png

by Gregers Møller

On 11 January, Thailand’s sandbox program was introduced at six other destinations and travelers can now choose to undergo their mandatory 7-day stay in either Krabi, Phang-Na, Phuket, or on the islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao in Surat Thani province.

But although Danish diving instructor Jesper Ahrentz, who owns the diving school ‘Oceansound’ on the island of Koh Tao, is happy the Thai government will open up more to tourists after suspending its ‘Test and go’ quarantine free entry scheme, he does not see it as a “reopening” and says the locals desperately need better and long term solutions.

To TV2 News Jesper Ahrentz explains that the lack of tourism has affected the locals on the island because tourism is the livelihood of many.

“Many local areas have been completely destroyed under the covid-19 restrictions. People went from having a job to having absolutely nothing and actually started starving. There is no safety net in Thailand like there is in Denmark,” he says.

Full story: https://scandasia.com/danish-diving-instructor-in-thailand-we-need-better-and-long-term-solutions-for-reopening/

sca.jpg

-- © Copyright ScandAsia 2022-01-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

70 million Thais reside in Thailand... lower your prices and offer locals instruction and swimming lessons.

Good idea in theory but reality is a tad different.

Not many Thais live on Koh Tao. (Population about 3,000 or less.)

It is my experience that many Thais do not want to learn to swim. They are frightened of the water and they are unlikely to go on holiday to a small island just to learn to swim.

I certainly agree with your idea that they should be encouraged to learn. I offer free swimming lessons to my staff and Thai neighbours. (A friend is a qualified swimming instructor. We live on an island for goodness sake.)

In the last 10 years, only one staff member took up the offer.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:
2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

70 million Thais reside in Thailand... lower your prices and offer locals instruction and swimming lessons.

Good idea in theory but reality is a tad different.

Not many Thais live on Koh Tao. (Population about 3,000 or less.)

It is my experience that many Thais do not want to learn to swim. They are frightened of the water and they are unlikely to go on holiday to a small island just to learn to swim.

I certainly agree with your idea that they should be encouraged to learn. I offer free swimming lessons to my staff and Thai neighbours. (A friend is a qualified swimming instructor. We live on an island for goodness sake.)

In the last 10 years, only one staff member took up the offer.

There is also another facet.... Many of the wealthier Thai’s who can afford the 10,000+++ baht for diving trips take instruction with friends and friends of friends who have their own diving businesses.

These Thais ‘generally' live in Bangkok, take their diving courses in Bangkok and and then go on group organised trips to various areas around asia. 

I agree with the sentiments of the Danish diving instructor - there needs to be a consistent and universal approach to Covid-19 without the frequent knee-jerk panic.

While the UK & US are lowering their advice on Positive case isolation to 5 days, Thailand increases its quarantine to 7 days and removes ’Test & Go’ potentially until mid-year, essentially killing off what little tourism remains (other than  handful of Sandboxers which is many returning foreigners from overseas work etc).

Another issue is ’some of the airlines’ not insisting on PCR tests before travel. 

Thus, some passengers can pick-up Omicron in transit.

PCR tests should be a requirement before any travel (anywhere)

Then Thailand could have their ’Test & Go’ and insist that arrivals spend 24 hrs in accommodation, just incase results are late and to prevent hotels from letting guests ‘go’ early. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Thank you for this much needed explanation, who would have guessed.

I'm sure many in Denmark don't know much about Koh Tao.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Lowering prices even further will not do anyone any good. There is much more to approaching a whole new market than lowering prices and offering local instruction. Ad usual the ones not involved know exactly how to handle.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

But although Danish diving instructor Jesper Ahrentz, who owns the diving school ‘Oceansound’ on the island of Koh Tao, is happy the Thai government will open up more to tourists after suspending its ‘Test and go’ quarantine free entry scheme, he does not see it as a “reopening” and says the locals desperately need better and long term solutions.

Unfortunately Coronavirus don't seem to agree with Jesper Ahrentz, it don't let the authorities' long term solutions last, Covid always has a Joker to pull out from the sleeve; the latest one is called Omicron, we can only guess if it's also the last joker hidden in Covid's sleeve...:whistling:

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

When he says local, I didn't see it as him talking about himself. He's probably fine. The ones who are starving and have no work, no money and no safety net are the Thai locals who depended on scamming and overcharging tourists for their livelihoods before COVID.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I'm sure many in Denmark don't know much about Koh Tao.

Lowering prices even further will not do anyone any good. There is much more to approaching a whole new market than lowering prices and offering local instruction. Ad usual the ones not involved know exactly how to handle.

And what is your solution if the "whole new market" isn't buying?

Does Thailand really need tourism?  How much stake do the richest families, who actually rule Thailand, have in the tourism sector?

Seems that Thailand wants tourism but doesn't necessarily need it.  Maybe it's just a 'gravy' industry?

If they really need tourism, then why did they voluntarily shut it off?