COVID-19: Thailand reports 7,793 new coronavirus cases, 18 deaths, 5,202 recoveries

webfact

COV15.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Saturday (January 15) reported 7,793 new COVID-19 cases, 5,202 recoveries and 18 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 7,523. Prisons: 270

▶︎ Recoveries: 5,202

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,316,408 with 21,916 deaths.

The news comes as due to the recent announcement by the World Health Organization (WHO) which stated that it may be too early to categorize Covid-19 as an endemic within this year, Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, Director-General of the Department of Disease Control, responded that the Ministry of Public Health is not against the announcement.

He said the ministry did not mean to categorize Coronavirus as an endemic immediately. He stressed the disease can only become an endemic when it has less severity, when people’s immunity rises significantly, and when the country’s medical system is highly capable of handling it.

According to Dr. Opas, Thailand will consider Covid-19 an endemic when the fatality rate is low and controllable, and when people strictly follow the VUCA measures. VUCA stands for vaccine, universal prevention, Covid free setting, and ATK.

*NNT contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update15JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

From my side of the world now, I do not see how Thailand's numbers can be dropping back downward like they have started to here in the US.  Has to be from a true lack of testing versus here where they are testing en-mass, and now with home testing being done as now more kits are available and the insurance companies re-imbursing folks, the folks here are also reporting the test results from at home tests as required by law and then isolating, well most are.  My sisters family was a close contact with someone who was asymptomatic, and has isolated at home and tested for the past 5 days, negative infection, and so today they followed the CDC guidelines and California's mask mandate in order to return to work and the kids to school.

Thailand on the other hand seems to be seeing, anecdotally of course, mass cases in places like Pattaya, Chonburi, Phuket and Bangkok as well as Chiang Mai.  Of course many are still gathering in large groups and places staying open past closing time and thus exacerbating the spread of Omicron, which is only found by ATK testing unless the individual seeks treatment.  From talking with a friend in Sathorn many of the folks who must work or make no money are still working after a positive test, but then this again is anecdotal at best.

Social distancing here as I did in Bangkok and just took at saliva test, 3rd day here, and negative.  Vaccinated with my booster as well at a walk-in location at a pharmacy down the street from my Daughters where I am staying.  Have isolated here for the first few days just in case, but still was able to go through 2 years of accumulated paperwork and then other things.....

Stay safe folks and my belief is that by the end of February the world should be seeing the backside of Omicron. My return to BKK is still ok using the Test N Go as of today, but things could change next week with this government.

• Like 2

I think the Omicron numbers are way way higher than the official figures.  I know many people who have cold like symptoms but don’t test because they don’t want to be isolated. Others do ATK test, but it often shows negative with Omicron.

I got Omicron in Phuket over NY (v mild symptoms) and ATK test showed negative but PCR positive. It’s quite hard and expensive to get a PCR now, so most people don’t

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

ATK test showed negative but PCR positive

Yes, I know a guy who tested positive on a PCR test. He was allowed to self-isolate at home as he had no symptoms, but had already bought 7 ATK's. Not one of them showed a positive test result during his isolation. Have the Thai ATK tests been doctored in some way so that it's very difficult to get a positive result? That would help to explain the low national case numbers.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Yes, I know a guy who tested positive on a PCR test. He was allowed to self-isolate at home as he had no symptoms, but had already bought 7 ATK's. Not one of them showed a positive test result during his isolation. Have the Thai ATK tests been doctored in some way so that it's very difficult to get a positive result? That would help to explain the low national case numbers.

some countries and states have given up on mass testing as there are just too many cases - instead the guidence is - if you have cold like symptoms then isolate regardless of ATK being negative, as I reported a few times on here - I know many people who have had a cold recently (highly likely Omicron) and all ATK test were negative, all of them assumed they had Omicron and isolated for 7 days which IMO is the right thing to do, lets not forget there is still delta cirulating in Thailand which might account for the few ATK positives and it could be that omicron is not reliably detected by the ATK kits used here

Although the numbers might be lower than the actual cases "As with other countries".

The mask wearing is keeping the infection down, most people i come across here have been properly wearing their mask.

Very discipline on the bts and mrt.

People going to bars that's another story but not many people going to bars these days and there are a lot of outdoors seating which helps.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

According to the doctors I spoke to, ATK tests only show positive for Omicron when you are shedding a lot of the virus

That is why it is good to use a saliva antigen test as well.  As I said last week a friend tested negative on the ATK nasal swab and then positive on the saliva antigen test.  Omicron is starting in the back of the throat according to many new data streams and studies, also those were posted last week as well, not going to rehash that for you.

ATK kits seem to be working at my son's school where they have sent 2 entire years home.

Also personally know more families than I have fingers for who have tested on ATK and come up positive and thus isolating. I myself tested pos on an ATK. So dont listen to all the tripe that the kits are completely useless. As Ryan mentions, throat swabs are most effective now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is why it is good to use a saliva antigen test as well.  As I said last week a friend tested negative on the ATK nasal swab and then positive on the saliva antigen test.  Omicron is starting in the back of the throat according to many new data streams and studies, also those were posted last week as well, not going to rehash that for you.

Saliva ATKs do seem better for detecting Omicron. That begs the question about GPO's new 3 million 35 baht ATK test kits, nasal or saliva? Nasal, of course!

GPO ad from: https://www.gpoplanet.com/

image.png.a5d19d199701dbb883e800e1786c6cca.png

Edited by rabas

Amazing the wave is over already the numbers are going down...But it is a farce every day.. Last week a few students tested postive and the classes where they were in ae at home now.. But a teacher complaining about sore throat, sneezing and coughing did not do a test, because she had already several jabs she said..Today voluntary testing for teachers and a must for students for coming to school on Monday... but the sore throat teacher did not test... no need... and several others teachers siad they don't want to know because they don't want in quarantine.... and that s only 1 school in 1 place.... In Pattaya they are preparing for Chinese New Year and the show must go on......The Government want to easy restrictions... So what do you expect?? more than 10k or 20k positives a day???  All their plans would be cancelled and that is not done.....

Astra/Pfizer booster after Sinovac offers powerful defence against Omicron: virologist

People given two jabs of Sinovac followed by a booster of AstraZeneca or Pfizer had high protection against the Omicron variant, renowned virologist Dr Yong Poovorawan said on Saturday.

Both booster shots also triggered a big increase in “killer” T cells, which are thought to be especially effective in combating heavily mutated Covid-19 variants such as Omicron.

Yong cited studies on the medRxiv internet site, which pre-publishes scientific data and research ahead of the peer review process.

https://www.nationthailand.com/life/40011132

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It was reported some days ago they have set up some free ATK testing stations for the general public in Bangkok and the report was that positivity rates were only about 1 or 2%. Much less than the delta wave. If they're doing it by nasal swabs then its hardly surprising. 

Makes the figures look mighty good for them though

Surely something is wrong with the numbers. Far more TV/AN reports of posters and immediate family   catching Covid than during Delta. I asked a nephew about the discrepancy and he said most Thai are self testing and self isolating on their own and not being counted. Pretty much everyone knows including the government and medical authorities. No problem, Thai style.

• Like 2

Creeping up here even though nationwide the trend is down?? Crept up from 55 cases yesterday.

Health officials on Saturday (Jan 15) reported 71 new COVID-19 cases, 34 of which were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 9 cases were found in Pranburi, 5 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 1 case in Kuiburi, 1 case in Thap Sakae, 4 cases in Bang Saphan, 2 cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 11 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

No new deaths were reported today.

Five cases were found in people who had travelled to Hua Hin from overseas.

https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/jan-15-prachuap-reports-71-new-covid-19-cases-34-cases-in-hua-hin/

• Like 1

COVID-19 SATURDAY: Hospitalisations double in a week, 10 million boosters

Today, the CCSA reported 7,793 new Covid-19 infections, down 365 since yesterday, and 18 Coronavirus-related deaths, up 3 from yesterday. Since April 1, 2021, in the latest wave of the virus in Thailand, a total of 2,287,535 confirmed Covid-19 infections have been reported, with 21,916 total deaths from the pandemic.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/covid-19-saturday-hospitalisations-double-in-a-week-10-million-boosters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

Avoid testing positive on Samui. A member of staff working for a friend there tested positive and is now locked in for 10 days☹️

Everyone is avoiding getting testing. The figures are fit for toilet paper.

For once, the Soi Bukahow barstool expert has far more of an idea than the jerry mandered Thai government figures.

"Hospitalisations" are people who would be better getting a box of Kleenex and blowing their noses at home.

Mass hysteria and mass overreaction.

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit
  • Like 2

Thailand reports 6,929 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths, 5,255 recoveries

COV17ThaiPBS.jpg

Thai PBS file photo

Thailand on Monday (January 17) reported 6,929 new COVID-19 cases, 5,255 recoveries and 13 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1246967-thailand-reports-6929-new-covid-19-cases-13-deaths-5255-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin