Novak's Visa Definitely Revoked ... by Oz Immigration Minister

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

He's already gone. Nearly to Singapore by now.

Bye bye...

As it stands, the unjabbed superstar will not be permitted into America for this year’s US Open, he may not be allowed into Britain for Wimbledon and his access to Paris for the French Open remains uncertain.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/tennis/djokovics-grand-slam-record-tilt-in-limbo-c-5333116

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you really think the British, Americans and French will be as pathetic and overly woke as the Australians over this issue ?

There is no threat to public safety if he is testing negative for Covid.... This is all just utterly utterly ridiculous.

Scope for ‘special treatment’... of course - he can isolate and still play those tournaments, he’s a world class sportsman. 

I don’t like the anti-vax message he sends.... but I like the response even less because he ‘fits the medical bill’ having recently had Covid-19.

If he had not had Covid-19 recently and refused the vaccine, I’d have a different opinion.

If he does not vaccinate before the ‘other opens’ and his antibody levels are below a medically accepted threshold that’s then on him.

U amuse me

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 2:31 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I doubt Novax will ever want to come back to Australia

Given the huge publicity generated by this, I suspect a number of potential visitors will not want to go there either. This has, IMO, given the Australian government a huge black eye, due to the incompetence and confusion that has been exhibited.

On a scale of 1 to 10 of cockups, I reckon 11 or 12.

I suspect a degree of pandering to a certain Oz demographic, but IMO seeing as how he was granted an exemption by the state government, they should have allowed it to go ahead and closed the loophole for future visitors.

It's probably not like he is the only such case that has arrived, though without the publicity.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

I will stand alone on this one then. If i was Djokovic i would not have got vaccinated either if it was down to my personnel choice..34 years old as fit as <deleted> no underlying health conditions....not really in the "at risk " category is he?

But without being vaccinated he is a menace or a risk to others is that right?

You missed the part were he got caught out lying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the huge publicity generated by this, I suspect a number of potential visitors will not want to go there either. This has, IMO, given the Australian government a huge black eye, due to the incompetence and confusion that has been exhibited.

I suspect a degree of pandering to a certain Oz demographic, but IMO seeing as how he was granted an exemption by the state government, they should have allowed it to go ahead and closed the loophole for future visitors.

It's probably not like he is the only such case that has arrived, though without the publicity.

The part were he lied about his travels during the 14 days prior to arrival did him no favours.

Who are the potential visitors that have decided not to travel to Aus ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Private/leased jet is my guess.

With this story he might even have problems boarding a commercial flight?

Lost my bet ????

"The tennis star departed Australia on an Emirates flight bound for Dubai..."

(from CNN)

One poster, disagreeing with the decision, says it's a "woke witch-hunt"..

Far from it.. any other decision would be a slap in the face to all Australians who have endured, rightly or wrongly one of the most strict Covid containment measures in the world.

Hubris. Novax now has a great problem. He has lost public support, a great deal of prize money, and quite likely his appearance at several other tournaments is now questionable..

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

And contrast this attitude with the zero-tolerance policy which the Serbians have adopted towards foreigners indulging in similar antics who might wish to set foot on their "hallowed turf"!

https://www.mfa.gov.rs/en/citizens/travel-serbia/covid-19-entry-requirements

I know it sounds a generalised bigoted thing to say (and I would say its a belief based on experience and a conscious decision not a reflex one) but of a few handfuls of Serbian's I have known (some very closely over years and years in the gym) were all really nasty fellas, racist,  misogynistic to the bone, sexist, bullies (ever single one of them- and plz believe me when I say you learn a lot about a person in the ring day-in-day-out), and extremely arrogant. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"Given the huge publicity generated by this, I suspect a number of potential visitors will not want to go there either. This has, IMO, given the Australian government a huge black eye, due to the incompetence and confusion that has been exhibited.

On a scale of 1 to 10 of cockups, I reckon 11 or 12."

Seems to me it's a bit different. He was granted a visa but he knew* that he had to provide proof of being vaccinated or have a medical report proving he had a medical condition that made it impossible for him to be vaccinated.

(*I repeat "but he knew that he had to provide proof of being vaccinated or have a medical report proving he had a medical condition that made it impossible for him to be vaccinated." Either he knew or his support team knew and it's just basic common sense / adult behavior that they would have told him. If he didn't care that displays his overall unprofessiional attitude.)

He did have some documentst but there were several mistakes in the documents (several mistakes, not one mistake). His support team are experienced people, they know that you complete and double check such documents with great care.

Many global travelers who have support teams insist that they do a personal final check and countersign the document themselves before it's submitted. 

It's well known that the Australian Border Force and similar bodies in most countries are very serious about such documents and a mistake will not be accepted - you're on the next plane back to where you came from. Any notion that he's a celebrity and should be allowed to pass doesn't go down well at all with the Australian public who are well aware that there's no second chance. 'My agent made the mistake' cannot be acceptable.

There's been mention that Tennis Australia gave him approval to enter Australia. That's not correct; they can't give such approvals.

There's been mention that the Victorian Gov't gave him an approval but that seems to have gone very cloudy. And I wonder (I don't know for sure) whether they could grant an approval to enter and it's well known that the premier has been been solid about not allowing any exemptions to the rules.

Yes Judge Kelly cancelled the first denial of entry, but lets' be clear, he cancelled it because he considered that the Border Force team at Melbourne Airport didn't give Novak enough time to consider/decide how he would respond to the warning that they were considering to cancel his visa.  

As mentioned most of the above is 'standard' in many countries in the world. 

Then there's the less than clear matter of what date we was tested in his home country or in Spain and was positive. Then there's the matter that he knew he was positive but attended several functions with crowds and children without a mask.

Believe what you want but seems to me he doesn't have much respect for others, which is not what most Australians would want to see from any adult. 

Many years ago I took a team of Thai masters degree students to an invited  global business competition at a US university. One of the team had one  document which had a signature from a senior person at the US Embassy in Bangkok, but the signature had been placed near the edge of the paper and the last 1 or 2 letters of the snr. embassy staffs' signature were missing. All hell broke loose on arrival at the US airport. One of the other accomanying professor was from the US and he had a close friend working at the US Embassy in Bangkok who was senior enough to sign several declarations that the document could/should be accepted on arrival, along with a complete new document signed by the original officer but the signature in the middle of the page. It took 2 days to get this completed.

And we were told several times by the snr. border officials at the arrival airport that it was highly unusual for a 'review' or a corrected document to be provided. They were very unhappy to be even asked to accept the correct document. Many times the comment was made 'Should be on the next return flight'.

7 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

As it stands, the unjabbed superstar will not be permitted into America for this year’s US Open,

That's a long way away, 7 ~ 8 months. And while the new NYC mayor has kept vaccine mandates in place (The U.S. Open is played in Queens, a borough of NYC), SCOTUS has shot down recent mandates by the administration. And, as a result of NBA player (Brooklyn Nets) Kyrie Irving's anti-vax stance, there may be a loophole in the form of a fine.

The executive order signed by former mayor Bill de Blasio states the first offense for defying the mandate is a warning. The second offense is a $1,000 fine, the third is $2,000, the fourth is $5,000 and the fifth to infinity offenses are also $5,000.

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/brooklyn-nets-can-pay-nyc-a-nominal-fine-to-make-vaccine-mandate-disappear-for-kyrie-irving/

This assumes he meets any visa/entry requirements in place in August/September, which as of today he would NOT. I'm assuming he is NOT a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, Lawful Permanent Resident, or Immigrant.

You must be fully vaccinated to travel to the United States by plane if you are a non-U.S. citizen, non-U.S. immigrant (not a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, lawful permanent resident, or traveling to the United States on an immigrant visa). Only limited exceptions apply.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/noncitizens-US-air-travel.html

This might change, but maybe not this year?

Djokovic has made claims in the past that he was offered a path to British citizenship.

IMO, if he wants to get to 21 and beyond sooner rather than later, he should consider getting vaccinated.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lied or an innocent mistake ?? his assistant who filled out ‘the forms’ did not add that he’d also been to Spain.

Its hardly a crime worth deporting an international tennis star - they’ve spun the mistake into the idea that he attempted to mislead and defraud the Australian public.... 

This whole debacle has been a woke witch-hunt....  Its utterly embarrassing for humanity that intelligent discretion cannot be exercised. 

I am completely against Djokovic’s anti-vax stance, but he was no risk to the Aus public. 

He lied directly, and through his team/agents, and evaded answering a number of times, and about a number of things.

The excuse that someone else filled the form out and therefore it was their fault don't wash as he and his team all knew exactly what was what about his situation regarding immigration i.e. not being vaccinated, that the rules are solid and clear that unvaccinated people won't be admitted to Australia (citizens with caveats are the exception) - and his requirements before Oz Immigration.

Saying 'oops we made a mistake' does not wash away the clear entry criteria. 

He also showed contempt for others prior to arriving (ie. Spain visit and events where he paraded in closed and close proximity to dozens and dozens of people unmasked and actively infected with no regard for their safety a week after being notified he was infected ... this too was all taken into consideration by Immigration - stated fact by Oz Immigration - re: safety issues, responsible behaviour, and level of risk to the Oz public).

The rules are clear - they are the same for everyone i.e. you mislead and lie to Immigration and your the ™ forms (as we call them in LOS call them) are really 'clearly underlined'. If you lie to immigration in any part of your immigration entry declaration the consequences are severe.

He lied on those forms and when pressed during his interview at the border admitted he wasn't and hadn't been vaccinated which he had consistently misled (on his paperwork and TM card ... was deliberately vague about this at many public recorded events prior to arrival too.) 

This single reason was enough to cancel his visa (any visa is always contingent on approval at the border/point of entry just as it is in every nation I can think of - including LOS).

The reason he was granted a visa while outside the country and allowed to enter was based on known and stated premises he would need to tender documents/proofs at the border checkpoint ... he did not ... therefore the visa he was issued was rescinded and he was detained as per normal procedure. He also was said to have given misleading info as to when he was infected (twice before) - which is crucial to the visa approval).

Tennis Australia and the Victoria Government interfered and issued statements and had direct correspondence with ND telling him he was most likely 'ok to come here' which was utterly wrong and totally irresponsible of both these bodies. Albeit I imagine he lied to them too and they believed him and thus were encouraged to support him as they did. But the letters to him by the above two have been released and are clear in their content, intent, and inappropriateness.

I was told that yesterday, last night, and today at the Open the commentators are all about the event with little to no discourse at all about ND.

Will the Joker sue Australia for bad treatment. Boo Hoo.

In an explosive new twist to the saga on Thursday, The Sun is reporting that Djokovic is weighing up a $6 million lawsuit against the Australian government.

The $6 million sum reportedly includes the prize money that Djokovic could have potentially won had he been allowed to defend his Australian Open title

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2022 at 1:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t like the anti-vax message he sends.... but I like the response even less because he ‘fits the medical bill’ having recently had Covid-19.

absolutely, the world has gone completely mad, and a good excuse for more control by governments

we are doomed !!!