Anyone have suggestions for indigestion?

Kenny202

I rarely get it but when I do a shocker. I don't mean acid in the throat I mean where it feels like you have food stuck in your throat and recurring gas / pain coming up in your chest / throat. Used to take a Zantac, worked really fast but I believe they have been banned. I got some Gaviscon antacid pills and the white milky amalgam stuff you buy but it's very slow and not particularly effective. As I said its not a recurring thing, usually happens if I eat too late. very crusty bread, coconut and charred meat seem to always be culprits.

I have been checked out before and its not a heart issue, ulcer or other horrible thing. Simple indigestion and as I say only get it once in a blue moon so not looking for possible underlying causes or recommendations to the doctors, just an effective medication or even home remedy.

Anybody have the same issue or can suggest something readily available here, perhaps a Zantac alternative  

If you can anticipate what may be problem meals, for instance you know you'll be eating roasted or BBQ'd meats that day, taking a 20mg Omiprazol tablet (Miracid is a popular OTC brand) that morning will help prevent a build-up of excess acid.

Not to sound like a nanny but some changes in your eating habits may help, such as eating slowly, taking smaller bites, chewing more thoroughly and stopping before you feel overfull.

I realized I habitually put more food in my mouth before I was finished chewing the previous mouthful.  It took some concentration to change but it made a big difference in how much I ate and how I felt after a meal. 

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, dddave said:

If you can anticipate what may be problem meals, for instance you know you'll be eating roasted or BBQ'd meats that day, taking a 20mg Omiprazol tablet (Miracid is a popular OTC brand) that morning will help prevent a build-up of excess acid.

Not to sound like a nanny but some changes in your eating habits may help, such as eating slowly, taking smaller bites, chewing more thoroughly and stopping before you feel overfull.

I realized I habitually put more food in my mouth before I was finished chewing the previous mouthful.  It took some concentration to change but it made a big difference in how much I ate and how I felt after a meal. 

Thank you but I think Omiprazol needs to be taken for 1-3 days before it reduces symptoms. Like I said may only get this once every 3 to 6 months so not something I am going to change my life over, just want something to relieve symptoms quickly. Zantac used to work a treat, and even though there are no known cases of it causing cancer or death, some brainiac found it contained something that may be carcenogenic so off the shelf they go. If I was getting it chronically / regularly I would definitely look for some permanent solutions or meds but just a couple of times a year thing. I think everyone experiences it to some degree at sometime

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

I believe omnprazole can be taken for immediate relief. If gaviscon does not give you instant  relief I am surprised. I would get a proper check up.

Only Gaviscon tablets. They are just antacid pills I think. Is there another type of Gaviscon?

No I don't need a check up for something I've had 35 years and get twice a year, but thanks

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I believe omnprazole can be taken for immediate relief. If gaviscon does not give you instant  relief I am surprised. I would get a proper check up.

8 to 12 hours is recommended for Omiprozal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I got some Gaviscon antacid pills and the white milky amalgam stuff you buy but it's very slow and not particularly effective.

I use these, one with a meal or whenever your stomach feels a bit odd.

They work much better than the anti-acids I used to take, and cost almost nothing.

Less than 200bht for 500 tabs delivered.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2499065615-s8831241291.html

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Only Gaviscon tablets. They are just antacid pills I think. Is there another type of Gaviscon?

No I don't need a check up for something I've had 35 years and get twice a year, but thanks

I use extra  strength liquid  gaviscon

20220115_185347.jpg

Edited by The Hammer2021

12 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm not sure that preclude instant relief. Have you tried it?

Yes, I use "Miracid" from time to time.  It's not good to use constantly.  It's not an acid or digestive relief, it's a preventative, taken in advance.  Once symptoms of indigestion appear, it's of no use.

12 minutes ago, rumak said:

or even home remedy.:    Baking soda !     google it.      drink  with water .   should get a good belch.   safe and effective

eat simple food when having a bad day.     oatmeal 

Agree with the baking soda recommendation.  It tastes like drinking seawater but works instantly.  As you say, one good belch and you're done.  (Note: It's a good idea to stay standing until you get the belch.  Lie down and you can get backfire.

• Haha 1

Omeprazole was useful when i had gastritis, took it for a few months.

I didn't notice baking soda help with heartburn or gastritis.

If i get occasional stomach issue now i use Antacil from Fascino or 7 Eleven, about 15 baht a strip of 10, they work well. It's a case of trial and error1811845007_IMG_20220115_1904512.thumb.jpg.b938d1152e6f5f917e32554152a57372.jpg

5 minutes ago, dddave said:

Yes, I use "Miracid" from time to time.  It's not good to use constantly.  It's not an acid or digestive relief, it's a preventative, taken in advance.  Once symptoms of indigestion appear, it's of no use.

As you only have the problem twice a year you won't  be using it constantly. For me  it gives me instant relief but I tend to prefer liquid  gaviscon  as pictured.

google is my friend.    most of those antacids have  sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) as ingredient,

small bag of baking soda   McGarrett brand is good      very cheap    

no other additives

The key to baking soda's ability to treat acid reflux lies in its active ingredient: sodium bicarbonate. OTC antacids like Alka-Seltzer contain sodium bicarbonate, which is what makes them work.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dddave said:

Miracid is omeprazole. Which, as others have said, does give some fairly prompt relief. Not quite as quick as Gaviscon, but better and longer lasting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Took it for 15 years, definitely does not give immediate relief. Gaviscon is the best, avoid too much booze, chocolate and oats is my advice.

Just from my personal experience - but I find that the alkali treatments like Gaviscon only work for 10 minutes, then it comes back worse.  I think the stomach responds to the rising pH by making more acid.  It's sounds odd, but I've found drinking (acidic) orange juice can work.

But for me, the most effective solution is the 'nom bleow' drinks such as Betagen - sorts my acid reflux out very quickly, and seems to last longer than Gaviscon.

Yeah don't eat chocolate much, nor do I drink and eat oats. I tried the Bi carb in warm water a couple of times didn't work for me at all. My problem is as I said only get it once every three to 6 months and usually in the middle of the night so taking a preventative or something preemptive wont help me. Its usually gone by morning, I just need something to sort it out fast then and there so i can get back to sleep. Zantac used to work usually within 5 to 10 minutes

8 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Took it for 15 years, definitely does not give immediate relief. Gaviscon is the best, avoid too much booze, chocolate and oats is my advice.

I am not the complainant! The OP has a chronic complaint and is asking for advice. We can but give advice to him based on our own experience about THAT WHICH WORKED FOR US. But f would worry about GORD which is a known  precursor  for cancer of the oesophagus. Let's hope he gets better soon

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I use these, one with a meal or whenever your stomach feels a bit odd.

They work much better than the anti-acids I used to take, and cost almost nothing.

Less than 200bht for 500 tabs delivered.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2499065615-s8831241291.html

I googled them and they're Tumeric pills apparently. Do you get instant relief with them or only take them with meals as a preventative?

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

I don't know about booze, but getting indigetion from chocolate and oats is rough. I would have considered those foods the least likely to cause it.

I used to get indigestion frequently when I was younger, but since I started drinking a glass of home made kefir everyday, I can now eat anything. The solution is to balance your intestinal flora by consuming probiotics. On a very rare occasion when my food hasn't digested well or I ate something not quite right, a glass of kefir fixes it up fast.

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Just from my personal experience - but I find that the alkali treatments like Gaviscon only work for 10 minutes, then it comes back worse.  I think the stomach responds to the rising pH by making more acid.  It's sounds odd, but I've found drinking (acidic) orange juice can work.

But for me, the most effective solution is the 'nom bleow' drinks such as Betagen - sorts my acid reflux out very quickly, and seems to last longer than Gaviscon.

The only thing that helps is to change diet and drinking behavior. All antiacids just do something with the symptoms, and not the problem.

I know, not the popular vote, but the truth

Edited by Hummin

Your symptoms are likely due to gas .

There is an herbal remedy called "Airess" which you can but online or at some 7-11s. Contains turmeric and some other things. Take when you eat something likely to cause problems or when problems occur.