Is there any reason to own a car here if you are living in a city?

Just now, MrJ2U said:

Yes,

You might want to shop at Makro.

Also you want to travel around and not depend on taxis and public transportation.  Especially during the rainy season.

If you can afford it and have parking available, having a car opens up sorts fun and exciting possibilities!

Yet I cannot think of any fun or exciting possiblities I'm missing out on for not having one. Could you name a few so I can reflect on what I'm missing out on?

I would not consider driving a car as a fun activity, but for transport. I know young Thais drive for fun, and this is one of the problems and what makes the roads so deadly in the country.

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

I can understand a person living alone not needing a car, but for those with family a car is a must for; grocery shopping, eating out, traveling, school drop offs/pick-ups in the rain, taking the dogs to the vet. 

I take your point but if you lived in a city all those things could be done differently  most without car ownership but its a balance of convenience. I am aware that cars can be very convenient for people with large families  But for many people they aren't really more convenient and as you point out single people in cities don't really need them, depending on the city. But I would go further and suggest for single people, especially in Pattaya, cars are actually a possible  inconvenience, a financial drain and a legal encumbrance.

9 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I have no need to go anywhere except to shop. 

Oh dear, how short sighted of you.  I live 35km outside Pattaya and I travel extensively, around the Province and beyond, That is as it should be for anyone with a modicum of interest in Thailand. 

I only ever go to Pattaya to shop in Big C Extra, that's enough exposure to City life for me.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Yet I cannot think of any fun or exciting possiblities I'm missing out on for not having one. Could you name a few so I can reflect on what I'm missing out on?

I would not consider driving a car as a fun activity, but for transport. I know young Thais drive for fun, and this is one of the problems and what makes the roads so deadly in the country.

Yes there is a point at which driving for fun  becomes risk taking and potentially dangerous behaviour.

12 minutes ago, sungod said:

But you use those really safe motorbikes alot?

I use my "really safe" motorcycle everyday, but I would not ride my motorcycle to the airport or Bangkok. In fact, I use motorcycles in maximum of 10km radius to my home. Do you take your own car to the airport when you leave Thailand?

But your point was about hiring dangerous drivers for transport, and that we should own a car to avoid this. It is avoidable. Even if you don't have one safe driver to call, you could have 2 or 3 that you consider safe. If you want to buy a car, buy a car, but there's no need to make excuses for your decision. I get it, some people need/want cars. I have no problem with that.

Edited by JensenZ

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes there is a point at which driving for fun  becomes risk taking and potentially dangerous behaviour.

In Australia they have what they call "anti-hoon laws". They confiscate their cars. There would be a lot of young Thai drivers walking if they had the same laws here LOL

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Oh dear, how short sighted of you.  I live 35km outside Pattaya and I travel extensively, around the Province and beyond, That is as it should be for anyone with a modicum of interest in Thailand. 

I only ever go to Pattaya to shop in Big C Extra, that's enough exposure to City life for me.  

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... it's very ignorant to insult someone you don't know.

After 16 years in Pattaya, I've seen all the sights. There is nothing to visit that I would find interesting and if there was something I needed to visit, I wouldn't need to buy a car to get there. I don't need to go places just to pretend I have a life. I'm quiet guy who now enjoys peace and quiet. My activities are gym and exercise and trying to keep healthy.

In 1996-7 I bought a car in the USA, and traveled through 38 states - 25,000 miles over 6 months. I've lived in 6 different countries. I've done what I need to do. Had all my adventures. I don't get excited to go places now. For me it's more exciting to stay at home and watch a good movie or documentary. If traveling is what you need to do, then great, but don't think that someone who doesn't follow your lead is short-sighted. The only thing which is short-sighted is your comment.

I used to think the same. Was too cheap to even buy a motorbike.  Then I met a woman with a car (later my wife) and she started chauffeuring me around. Now I can't imagine living without a car.

Examples.

There are some nice exclusive (and often cheap) condos not located near BTS. Sure they have a shuttle, but it's not the same, especially when you go shopping in the heat.

Can see some nice beaches without being ripped off. Same with hotels.

Can drive to outlet malls for some good brand name shopping. Prices cheaper than Canada. If you're into flipping you'll understand why so many Thais own a vehicle and ladies sometimes carry 10 coach bags.

Annndddd

It's always fun to scare Farangs riding the bicycle thinking they own the road.

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I used to think the same. Was too cheap to even buy a motorbike.  Then I met a woman with a car (later my wife) and she started chauffeuring me around. Now I can't imagine living without a car.

Examples.

There are some nice exclusive (and often cheap) condos not located near BTS. Sure they have a shuttle, but it's not the same, especially when you go shopping in the heat.

Can see some nice beaches without being ripped off. Same with hotels.

Can drive to outlet malls for some good brand name shopping. Prices cheaper than Canada. If you're into flipping you'll understand why so many Thais own a vehicle and ladies sometimes carry 10 coach bags.

Annndddd

It's always fun to scare Farangs riding the bicycle thinking they own the road.

So you didn't actually buy a car and were too cheap to buy a motorcycle, but now that you found a Thai partner with a car, you're happy.

Good for you!

Do you have any idea how insane your last comment is? You think it's fun to terrorize cyclists on the road with your car? I can't express here how uncool that is. I respect anyone getting out on a bicycle for exercise, and give them wide birth. I have an old friend with a very f****ked up shoulder due to some idiot in a car knocking him off his bicycle... could it have been you?

7 minutes ago, thainet said:

What a silly thread.

Some people have a car, some don't.  Some people have a motorbike, some don't.  Some people take taxis (car or moto), some don't. Some have a bicycle, some stay home, some walk.

Everyone different. That's it.

LOL. Did you read the whole thread? 

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

That's good to know. I used to drive long distance from South London to Tyne and Weir on a return journey. I had  companions, hitchhikers and sometimes a navigator/ support  driver but I still find driving boring and for me a needless effort. In your vehicle I would prefer to be the MIL not the chauffer. However, if your MIL is such entertaining company I suggest you move her in to your place

I suggest you keep your suggestions to yourself ????

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I just spent two weeks cruising around Thailand.

Stopping anywhere I wanted.

I enjoy driving though.  Roads are pretty good.

I've never had an accident the 20 years I've been here.

Your probably better of sticking to public transportation and people driving you around if you're frightened.

Also cars aren't cheap here.

Definitely worth it if you plan on living here and enjoy the freedom of traveling on your own timetable.

Maybe start out with a skateboard and work your way up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

I just spent two weeks cruising around Thailand.

Stopping anywhere I wanted.

I enjoy driving though.  Roads are pretty good.

I've never had an accident the 20 years I've been here.

Your probably better of sticking to public transportation and people driving you around if you're frightened.

Also cars aren't cheap here.

Definitely worth it if you plan on living here and enjoy the freedom of traveling on your own timetable.

Maybe start out with a skateboard and work your way up.

No, if you read my previous posts you'd know I've been riding motorcycles in Pattaya for 16 years, so "being frightened" was not a consideration in chosing not to own a car. Did you work your way up from a skateboard? Maybe you used to own a motorcycle with training wheels. You can buy them with 2 wheels on the back or the front.

28 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

No, if you read my previous posts you'd know I've been riding motorcycles in Pattaya for 16 years, so "being frightened" was not a consideration in chosing not to own a car. Did you work your way up from a skateboard? Maybe you used to own a motorcycle with training wheels. You can buy them with 2 wheels on the back or the front.

"80% of accidents involved motorcycles.

Update New Year Period 2019-2020 : The number of fatalities decreased to 373, which seems to be substantial (-19.4 % compared to the previous year). There were 3,421 road accidents with a total of 3,499 people injured. Per province, most people died in the capital Bangkok (15) this year. As before, most vehicles involved in accidents were motorcycles, making up 83 % of the total."

https://m.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

Much safer to drive a car, or like myself, a luxury SUV.

• Like 1

absolutely no reason at all to own a car in a city like bangkok.

there are cheap taxis everywhere and with MRT you can get anywhere FAST.

note that i did not say cheap, i said fast, but it will be also cheaper to use the public

transport and taxis.

we once calculated that even is you spend 150 baht on taxis daily, it will be cheaper

,annualy, than owning a car, and you will even save time on park searching.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

I think having a car is definitely worthwhile in Thailand.  The ease of grocery runs and family outings alone makes it worth the coin.

Family outings I understand but I do 'grocery' runs without use of a car. Actually the supermarket is less than a mile away so I prefer to do one small 'shop' every couple of days and walk and get the exercise but if I have several  bags I just use a taxi about 60 baht rounded up to 100baht

Edited by The Hammer2021

22 minutes ago, dj230 said:

There are probably reasons to own a car, but I don't see any for me, I don't even have a reason to own a scooter.

I get everywhere I need to with free condo shuttles and grab taxi's which are extremely cheap.

All I see from owning a car is maintenance bills, gas bills, insurance bills, car bills, having to drive/park + risk of accidents/lawsuits in a foreign country, ticket/fines, etc. 

I considered a motorbike but once I lived in Bangkok a few months I realized I don't even need that. 

That's how I feel. It seems like owning a car is just a series of tasks and hassles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

"80% of accidents involved motorcycles.

Update New Year Period 2019-2020 : The number of fatalities decreased to 373, which seems to be substantial (-19.4 % compared to the previous year). There were 3,421 road accidents with a total of 3,499 people injured. Per province, most people died in the capital Bangkok (15) this year. As before, most vehicles involved in accidents were motorcycles, making up 83 % of the total."

https://m.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

Much safer to drive a car, or like myself, a luxury SUV.

Thanks for the stats. We had discussed stats already earlier in the thread and most of us are well aware of them. Perhaps you could read up on my discussion of stats before commening as I'm done on that topic already.

So what was your point then about "if you're frightened" to drive a car and "work up from a skateboard"? Was there a point to it, or were you just trolling?

47 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Family outings I understand but I do 'grocery' runs without use of a car. Actually the supermarket is less than a mile away so I prefer to do one small 'shop' every couple of days and walk and get the exercise but if I have several  bags I just use a taxi about 60 baht rounded up to 100baht

I manage to take a full trolley on the scooter, but even if I owned a car, I don't like to get too much (fresh) food at once as I tend to waste it.

When I lived in a rural area a car was good to have. Motorbike trips in the rain are not a lot of fun plus always felt a lot safer and more comfortable in a nice a/c car. 

When I lived in BKK or Pattaya I did not want or need as SkyTrain, baht buses and taxis are fine for my needs.

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

or like myself, a luxury SUV.

I bet you are a man of means, what, with your luxury SUV  !!!! ????

Yes... four wheels are safer than two.....   riding a motorcycle in the day time wearing a helmet while not smashed up on Lao-Khao is also safer than the stats would indicate....

There is a huge convenience to any ‘personal means of mobility’ be it motorcycle or car, or both to be used as and when preferable.... 

Is a ‘personal means of mobility’ *(car or motorcycle) necessary in a city like Bangkok - absolutely not....  But life is better and easier with the option and not be forced to use taxi’s all the time.

• Like 2