Is there any reason to own a car here if you are living in a city?

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

Exactly this, just macho posturing

????????

I'm not sure but it may be a 'control' thing...Most of my friends who, to be honest, never use their cars much can't get their head around living without a car even to the extent of risking drunk driving. Owning a car is a box to be ticked without thought  as to why..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bbko said:

Exactly this, just macho posturing

????????

It's more like assumed behaviour like controlling the TV remote rather than posturing. I think it's less machismo but something to do with the idea of 'manliness' and 'control' but I think it's unconscious learned behaviour.

Edited by The Hammer2021

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I do about 40-50K per year so for me yes, it's a necessity.

One huge advantage about driving yourself is you're not putting your life in someone elses hands, just look at the amount of RTA's here......

My fleet includes: 2 SUV's / 1 sedan / 2 big bikes and a scooter, i use them all for various reasons.

That's a lot of vehicles you find necessary to own. 2 big bikes and a scooter. A man of excesses. I'm glad my life doesn't require so much transportation.

I would agree for cities such as Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, it is much easier to get around on a scooter, and I do.

Having said that, I need a car to travel to my GF's village, and also haul my golf clubs around. I don't fancy my chances trying to balance a golf bag and drive a scooter simultaneously.

There is also the age factor. Eyesight, balance and reflexes inevitably deteriorate, and at some point it will be much safer for me to be on four wheels.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

This is easily solved as you would expect to know your driver and his driver habits. I have a driver that maintains his car to perfection and is the safest driver I know. Sometimes I have to ask him to speed up if I'm getting late for a flight.

So every time you want to go somewhere, you call the same guy right? What do you do when he is busy?

Edited by sungod

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Boring, not at all, my mother in law is a wonderful lady, nearly 90yrs old, fit as a butcher's dog, a great character, chews beetle nut from dawn till dusk, never asked for anything, love her to bits, even though I can't understand a word she says. 

1642328426317.jpg

The flexibility of most Thais always astonishes me. If I was to try this exercise of my GF, I would probably have torn quads and half a dozen slipped discs.

IMG20180913202036.jpg

Edited by Lacessit

Gave up driving 10 years ago. Live out in the sticks. Wife runs a shop. A pick-up is extremely useful for buying stock and making deliveries. Also comes in useful for home use. Mrs owns a few small moto's used for running errands and by the young family members. Prefer not to travel myself unless absolutely necessary. Always aware (even worrying) about family riding without helmets or any other protection. Three family members have been hospitalised due to moto accidents, one, at 15, having part of one foot amputated following colliding with a lamp post on her moto.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would agree for cities such as Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, it is much easier to get around on a scooter, and I do.

Having said that, I need a car to travel to my GF's village, and also haul my golf clubs around. I don't fancy my chances trying to balance a golf bag and drive a scooter simultaneously.

There is also the age factor. Eyesight, balance and reflexes inevitably deteriorate, and at some point it will be much safer for me to be on four wheels.

Perhaps if the reflexes and eyesight diminish too far you'll consider letting someone else drive. Old drivers with bad eyesight are an extreme risk to others on the road, and most of all motorcyclists. It was an old driver who didn't see me that wiped me out on a motorcycle in my early 20s. You might feel safe, but think about the rest of us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes a Thai girl hinted at this to me but I just explained I thought driving  myself was low class and that wealthy people always  used chauffeurs..and gardeners, and cleaners...lol

My wife's hairdresser recommended I buy a car so her hair won't get messed up on a motorcycle LOL.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sungod said:

So every time you want to go somewhere, you call the same guy right? What do you do when he is busy?

Yes! I only use a car for long trips which I plan and book... the same guy. I don't use cars very often. I can't remember the last time I got into a vehicle with 4 wheels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Perhaps if the reflexes and eyesight diminish too far you'll consider letting someone else drive. Old drivers with bad eyesight are an extreme risk to others on the road, and most of all motorcyclists. It was an old driver who didn't see me that wiped me out on a motorcycle in my early 20s. You might feel safe, but think about the rest of us.

I've adjusted my driving here to ultra-defensive to compensate for slowing reflexes, and wear prescription driving glasses. After 10 years of driving scooter and car here, my only accident has been a female car driver who shunted me on my scooter when I was stopped for traffic. She was very apologetic.

I do hear what you are saying, and at some point my GF will take over. I'm not looking forward to that, as she does not have my driving skills and experience, acquired in 60 years.

• Like 2

What is the point of living in this place if you spend all your time in a City?  By all means rent a car rather than own one, but for goodness sake get out of the City streets as often as possible and as far away as possible, especially if that City is Bangkok. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I watch Thai TV news every day and the number of motorcyclists killed by careless/speeding motorists is frightening. I don't care how experienced you are you can't anticipate all the crazies.

Watching Thai news everyday is initself a formidable achievement!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

What is the point of living in this place if you spend all your time in a City?  By all means rent a car rather than own one, but for goodness sake get out of the City streets as often as possible and as far away as possible, especially if that City is Bangkok. 

Absolutely right as I mentioned earlier on in the thread I travel extensively round Thailand especially to, in and around Issan and other places. I think by not travelling around in a hermetically sealed vehicular environment I might experience more of Thailand than car drivers certainly not less. But that is not my only purpose for my mode of travel. I just can't be @ŕ§éđ driving..lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The three factors most common in motorbike and car accidents are speed, alcohol, and fatigue.  I don't speed, and I don't drive if the other two are present.

Yeah there is a special freedom to driving and the liberation it grants us and I assume even more so with motor bikes but I guess I am just too lazy for the physical effort and mental concentration required. And at night as I fall to sleep I get white line road jumps on my eye lids

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Having riden motorcycles for 25 years in Australia and NZ, and another 20 years in SE Asia, I would say it is safer here.

It might be hard for people like you with blinders on who only view statistics to understand this.

First point, I have always ridden auto scooters here, whereas in Australia I had gears and clutch. The difference in safety is like night and day.

Second point, knowing how traffic and other motorcyclists behave in Pattaya (and of course other areas) means I'm always on the alert. I always expect Thais to jump red lights, ride up one way streets, cut in front of me, pass me on the right when I indicate to turn right, possibly rear end me at stop lights, etc etc etc. I ride in a semi-nervous state at all times and watch my rear view mirrors nearly as much as looking ahead. Having had some bad accidents in the past (all in Australia), I know what it feels like to hit the tarmac and try my best to avoid it.

By contrast, in Australia, I go into a chilled out state of awareness where I might not see a danger heading my way. Living in Pattaya, with all the congestion, my speed is also much lower than it would be in Australia.

Yeah the statistical overview of driving here and motorbikes and LOL 'carnage' is total rubbish. Its just used to frighten people by the tremulous anti fun brigade as they wince and grasp at their pearl necklaces

..f*** em!

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Haha 1

I can understand a person living alone not needing a car, but for those with family a car is a must for; grocery shopping, eating out, traveling, school drop offs/pick-ups in the rain, taking the dogs to the vet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swissbie said:

We live about 20km SE of Hat Yai

We live close to town, just a 2km walk to the city centre if I'm so minded. So have the option of taxi, tuk-tuk or 10Bht songthaew. Hat Yai city is well served by public transport.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Maybe your view of a "city" in Thailand needs to be adjusted. I live in the city of Pattaya. My balcony overlooks a park. The next door neighbour's backyard is vitually a botanical garden, and I have sea views. All I hear are birds chirping most of the day... and guess what? I'm less than 1km from Walking Street.

Quiet suburban areas are easy to find in Pattaya, and I'm sure also in the outskirts of Bangkok away for the central concrete canyons.

I have no need to go anywhere except to shop. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

I think you do need a reason to own a car. It's a personal choice taking into consideration many factors:

1. Where you live?

2. Do you have a family?

3. Do you have a business which requires transport?

4. Do you have enough money to buy one, run it and maintain it?

Obviously there are more reasons, but those would top the list.

For me it's only No. 4 - Do I have enough money? yes  Even if I wasn't willing to buy a new one I'd lay down 200K for a used one regardless my needs or family.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bbko said:

I can understand a person living alone not needing a car, but for those with family a car is a must for; grocery shopping, eating out, traveling, school drop offs/pick-ups in the rain, taking the dogs to the vet. 

Yes, I agree. There are good reason to own a car. This was never in doubt, but then again, it's not so likely a family would settle in the middle of a city.

• Like 1

Yes,

You might want to shop at Makro.

Also you want to travel around and not depend on taxis and public transportation.  Especially during the rainy season.

If you can afford it and have parking available, having a car opens up sorts fun and exciting possibilities!

37 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Yes! I only use a car for long trips which I plan and book... the same guy. I don't use cars very often. I can't remember the last time I got into a vehicle with 4 wheels.

But you use those really safe motorbikes alot?