Is there any reason to own a car here if you are living in a city?

5 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Yes to me it is, I also own 3 motorbikes.

I am not saying one shouldn't but I just wonder about the need. For you it's a hobby but for me I can not imagine a reason to drive, especially if I am going out for a drink or a meal. Being driven is so cool. But driving to me is just a chore and a bore..

• Like 2

I've lived in Phra Khanong and now in Ploenchit and wouldn't want to be without my car!  How do you do a big supermarket shop with one?  Transporting kids is much easier in a car.  What if you need to make a quick trip to the coast or to Safari World?  I had one when I lived in London too, and much prefer city driving here than there!  Not so keen on long distances as Thai drivers drive like maniacs!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The need for the car is mother in law is 250km away from Chiang Mai, so I or my wife prefer to drive, bus is the only other means of transport, that's a no no, plus big food shop is easy. 

I understand you function as a taxi service  for your mother in law but if you had no car she would have  to resolve it another way. Anyway, the thread is really aimed at city dwellers who can get a cheap taxi to the supermarket.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree with OP, no need at all in most of the Thai metros or even small towns.  As long as enough public transport available.  A scooter is more than enough for convenience, as long as not a 'stocking up' shopper, which living in city, you really don't need to be.

Even out of the city, a scooter more than enough, though mandatory, since no 'convenient' public trans available where I am.

The cost, maintenance, insurance is hard to justify at times, per km used if a city dweller.  We have car simply for convenience.  Definitely not needed locally.  If city like Krung Thep area, lack of parking doesn't make self driving that convenient at times.

How do you fit the wife, kids and the weekly shopping on a scooter?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I understand you function as a taxi service  for your mother in law but if you had no car she would have  to resolve it another way. Anyway, the thread is really aimed at city dwellers who can get a cheap taxi to the supermarket.

It's not taxi service for my mother in law, it's mainly for my wife to go and visit her mother.

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

It's not taxi service for my mother in law, it's mainly for my wife to go and visit her mother.

It's a good reason to own a car. But presumably the duty is boring and onerous. Driving  long distances is really tedious and tiresome. Also there is the constant  need to be alert, be awake to be in effect working.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A car makes sense if you have children other than that a motorbike is enough and essential for Pattaya City otherwise you're limited

I live in Pattaya and have never needed to own a car. I also travel around Thailand especially travelling around Issan. I find it much more relaxing and enjoyable  to let others drive for me..

I like the challenge of driving a car here. They say its good for your health to get your heart pumping, so I take to the Bangkok roads almost daily even though I could use the Purple Line MRT at half price. The number 1 great benefit of motoring here is that you aren't persecuted for every minor infringement as you would be back in the UK, and I rarely have to pay for parking.  In the UK the only place you can park your car for free is on your own driveway, and even then if you don't have the correct document ( SORN) you will be fined, hung , drawn , quartered and probably end up serving life without parole.

Also I run a business here and need to transport me/stock/tools/other people around. I was going to quit driving at 70 and use public transport because as you say it's cheap and reliable.  But due to people having the sniffles for over 2 years and the world grinding to a halt I will be delaying that decision. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm so glad i bought a motorbike 4 years ago, definitely provides lots more options, prior to that it's too easy to just stay in the boundary of beach road and 3rd road or even less than that.

Many people are scared of riding a motorbike but it's much easier and safer than it looks

Statistics would prove you wrong.

• Like 1

I couldn't imagine not having a car in my city close to Bangkok. A couple of weeks ago we were looking for a sofa meaning a trip to global, then home pro, then index. That would be a right PITA with taxis. I like to buy food from local sellers. Grab takes a lot of their profits and charges more so I drive to them. No bus comes to my side of Phet Kasem either. Same with trains, which never turn up on time. 

In bkk though I wouldn't need a car. When I go I normally park up at the hotel and use other forms of transport to get around. 

Just now, JensenZ said:

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics". Statistically most riders here are young and crazy, and seemingly not fearful of death, which distorts the odds for a careful and experienced rider.

I watch Thai TV news every day and the number of motorcyclists killed by careless/speeding motorists is frightening. I don't care how experienced you are you can't anticipate all the crazies.