Is there any reason to own a car here if you are living in a city?

When i lived in surin for 6 years i had a IZUZU HIGHLANDER..that car was used on daily bases.

After i moved to bangkok i bougth a honda YAZZ..we used it for travel in weekends.

I sold that last year.Now i use to live in korat with my lady.She have her own car that we use in the city and when we go visit her family in the countryside.

27 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Boring, not at all, my mother in law is a wonderful lady, nearly 90yrs old, fit as a butcher's dog, a great character, chews beetle nut from dawn till dusk, never asked for anything, love her to bits, even though I can't understand a word she says. 

1642328426317.jpg

Wow, fit and active for 90. My in-laws look about the same at their mid 70's. I'm surprised at how active they've remained, still doing house and farm work. My mom back in the states at 71 is mostly a couch potato, with some occasional gardening.

Yes, I'm also fortunate to have good natured in-laws who seem happy to see me around, and appreciate my attempts at speaking limited Thai with them. Much of this forum seems to loathe their in-laws, and considers having to live with them a death sentence.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Wow, fit and active for 90. My in-laws look about the same at their mid 70's. I'm surprised at how active they've remained, still doing house and farm work. My mom back in the states at 71 is mostly a couch potato, with some occasional gardening.

Yes, I'm also fortunate to have good natured in-laws who seem happy to see me around, and appreciate my attempts at speaking limited Thai with them. Much of this forum seems to loathe their in-laws, and considers having to live with them a death sentence.

I pay mine to stay away, money well spent.

• Haha 1

It is definitely nice to have your own vehicle. I am happy with my motorcycle and that is perfect for me alone or together with my gf. But whenever we have a visitor then the question is always: how do we get to xyz with 3 people (or maybe more)? I guess if someone lives all the time with 2 or more other people together than a car makes sense.

And maybe one day, when I am really old, I don't want to ride any bike anymore. Maybe I will buy a car at that time because it is just convenient to have one.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've lived in Phra Khanong and now in Ploenchit and wouldn't want to be without my car!  How do you do a big supermarket shop with one?  Transporting kids is much easier in a car.  What if you need to make a quick trip to the coast or to Safari World?  I had one when I lived in London too, and much prefer city driving here than there!  Not so keen on long distances as Thai drivers drive like maniacs!

Yes I understand all the reason especially if you have kids but I disagree about the big shop. I do a big shop and I use a very cheap taxi. I don't need a car for that. Next month I'm travelling from Pattaya to lopburi but I will hire a driver..as I do for all my travelling around Thailand. I read a book, snooze, look at the scenery, play with phone, watch a movie etc etc.  I guess it's a matter of perception but I just don't need a car..I am strict about drink driving so I never could use a  car if eating out or drinking. Now we have BOLT taxis here in Pattaya there is no excuse for drinking and driving and for me no reason to drive at all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess if someone lives all the time with 2 or more other people together than a car makes sense.

Not a problem, we're normally a family of four, but with other daughter and family visiting we go up to seven. Family trip to a restaurant, no problem, I can have a tuk-tuk collect us all, take us to the restaurant, wait and bring us back for Bht300; note that Hat Yai tuk-tuks aren't crappy little three wheelers, they'll carry eight adults comfortably.

Tuk-tuk_in_Hat_Yai_03.jpg.a2dbc56ed140f125d3a3e4399050eac4.jpg

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

Not a problem, we're normally a family of four, but with other daughter and family visiting we go up to seven. Family trip to a restaurant, no problem, I can have a tuk-tuk collect us all, take us to the restaurant, wait and bring us back for Bht300; note that Hat Yai tuk-tuks aren't crappy little three wheelers.

I have nothing against  cars and believe they represent an important freedom. But I just regard driving as a task I would prefer someone else to do for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But taxis are do cheap..! And driving in itself is a form of work.

200 km round trip commute 6 days a week, Taxi's............. NOPE.

I actually love driving here, the 7 motorway is like a race track... Hence my commuter car is heavily modified.

• Like 1

I own a car but really wish I could live without it. I split my time between a condo in Bangkok and our house upcountry, and I need the car to go back and forth. I don't really drive in Bangkok except to go to the supermarket, the rest of the time I take the BTS or taxis.

Since my trips out of the city are occasional, I wish there was a time-sharing service where I could have a car just when I need it, like maybe 6 days a month. When I look at the cost of the vehicle, insurance and maintenance, it's a major expense. Of course I have to pay for the wife's car as well (and she's due for a new one).

Paul Laew

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

even though I can't understand a word she says. 

1642328426317.jpg

The ones ya cant understand are the best ! ????

As to the OP, I suppose it depends entirely on location, family situation and lifestyle.

Some coukd easily drop it, others couldnt function without one. Horses for courses. ????

Always have had a car & cannot see an upside to not having one....

I like having the armor around me + the A/C is a must, along with not breathing everyone else's diesel/exhaust fumes, the heat and rain.....

We have 2 cars, an SUV, and a small 4 door sedan....

We do not have a motorcycle, although our uni daughter does....

The only time we hire a taxi is to & from an airport....

The upkeep and operational cost of owning one is minimal compared to the inconvenience of not having one....

I'm not big on trading armor for mobility, either as a driver or passenger (especially as a passenger).....

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I live in Pattaya and have never needed to own a car. I also travel around Thailand especially travelling around Issan. I find it much more relaxing and enjoyable  to let others drive for me..

Not sure I would want to hire a car you have no idea how well maintained, and a driver you hardly know to drive me around, each to their own I guess.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've been driving a truck since age of 14 on the road. You don't need a reason to own a car. If I had the room I'd like to buy an old bomber just for kicks.

I think you do need a reason to own a car. It's a personal choice taking into consideration many factors:

1. Where you live?

2. Do you have a family?

3. Do you have a business which requires transport?

4. Do you have enough money to buy one, run it and maintain it?

Obviously there are more reasons, but those would top the list.

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

Not sure I would want to hire a car you have no idea how well maintained, and a driver you hardly know to drive me around, each to their own I guess.

This is easily solved as you would expect to know your driver and his driver habits. I have a driver that maintains his car to perfection and is the safest driver I know. Sometimes I have to ask him to speed up if I'm getting late for a flight.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Always have had a car & cannot see an upside to not having one....

I like having the armor around me + the A/C is a must, along with not breathing everyone else's diesel/exhaust fumes, the heat and rain.....

We have 2 cars, an SUV, and a small 4 door sedan....

We do not have a motorcycle, although our uni daughter does....

The only time we hire a taxi is to & from an airport....

The upkeep and operational cost of owning one is minimal compared to the inconvenience of not having one....

I'm not big on trading armor for mobility, either as a driver or passenger (especially as a passenger).....

You're breathing the same air inside your air conditioned car. Where do you think the air comes from? You don't need air conditioning on a motorcycle as it's provided free of charge - open air, however, you most definitely need it in a car, to cool it down when you get into your parked furnace (if you parked in the sun), and because you'll be a long while getting to where you are going if you're in heavy traffic. Also, parking is a headache in a city.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Not a problem, we're normally a family of four, but with other daughter and family visiting we go up to seven. Family trip to a restaurant, no problem, I can have a tuk-tuk collect us all, take us to the restaurant, wait and bring us back for Bht300; note that Hat Yai tuk-tuks aren't crappy little three wheelers, they'll carry eight adults comfortably.

We live about 20km SE of Hat Yai, no public transport at all, so we would be lost without a car. Besides, i like driving here. I stayed in BKK before, hated to "drive" (crawling from one traffic light to the next) there. Tuk-tuks in Hat Yai are ok, but if you have to go out of town, they are very expensive. Hardly any taxis (only airport-taxis) or grab. As in many other southern towns, taxi business isn't comparable to central Thailand.

• Sad 1

Sometimes I like to walk.

Sometimes, when it’s too far to walk, I take the BTS.

Sometimes when I’m going somewhere off the BTS line it’s more convenient to take taxi.

Sometimes, when I’m going somewhere that taxis don’t frequently drive by, I’ll use a Grab car.

Sometimes I like to take a road trip so I drive.  I like to drive.  It’s fun.  So I own a fun car.

If any of the above 5 choices don’t fit your lifestyle…up to you.  I don’t care.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Boring, not at all, my mother in law is a wonderful lady, nearly 90yrs old, fit as a butcher's dog, a great character, chews beetle nut from dawn till dusk, never asked for anything, love her to bits, even though I can't understand a word she says. 

1642328426317.jpg

That's good to know. I used to drive long distance from South London to Tyne and Weir on a return journey. I had  companions, hitchhikers and sometimes a navigator/ support  driver but I still find driving boring and for me a needless effort. In your vehicle I would prefer to be the MIL not the chauffer. However, if your MIL is such entertaining company I suggest you move her in to your place

• Like 1

I do about 40-50K per year so for me yes, it's a necessity.

One huge advantage about driving yourself is you're not putting your life in someone elses hands, just look at the amount of RTA's here......

My fleet includes: 2 SUV's / 1 sedan / 2 big bikes and a scooter, i use them all for various reasons.