Is there any reason to own a car here if you are living in a city?

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Just be patient If you're on a narrow road. Frightening a cyclist can cause him to crash... not funny at all.

Perhaps the cyclist should pick a better route. The old Thai ladies riding is bad enough, but then you get the ignorant foreigners who think it's OK to go riding on major roads and narrow streets. Now if I could just get rid of the dogs sleeping in the middle of the road and MC's with side carts I'd be a happier person.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Perhaps the cyclist should pick a better route. The old Thai ladies riding is bad enough, but then you get the ignorant foreigners who think it's OK to go riding on major roads and narrow streets. Now if I could just get rid of the dogs sleeping in the middle of the road and MC's with side carts I'd be a happier person.

Generally speaking, Thai people are more patient than foreigners... for dogs, old ladies, street food carts and other obstructions. Perhaps you could find a better route, but then you'd be depriving yourself of the fun of terrrorizing Farang cyclists. I know if was one of the people you terrorized, there would be a good chance that if I saw you again I'd toss a rock through your window. I used to do a lot of cycling, and nothing angered me more than impatient or rude motorists.

Edited by JensenZ

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Generally speaking, Thai people are more patient than foreigners... for dogs, old ladies, street food carts and other obstructions. Perhaps you could find a better route, but then you'd be depriving yourself of the fun of terrrorizing Farang cyclists. I know if was one of the people you terrorized, there would be a good chance that if I saw you again I'd toss a rock through your window. I used to do a lot of cycling, and nothing angers me more than impatient or rude motorists.

I got news for you, the world doesn't revolve around you impeding traffic on a bike. And by the way it was another poster who bragged about scaring bikers  ????

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

An interesting point of view and practical of course. But if we perceive 'choosing' a taxi as being 'forced' we might consider by using a taxi I am not 'forced' to find a parking place. Not forced to make decisions about routes, or make decisions about  rushing a traffic light, or forced to wait for petrol, or required to check oil or tyres etc etc. Of course this is all dependent on a decent taxi service  being available! And other decent public transport  options being around.

Again.... much of what you write gives greater reason to drive our own car. 

- I am not 'forced' to find a parking place - Agreed.. Parking takes extra time (not a major hassle).

- Not forced to make decisions about routes - When driving I go my route, I know better than the taxi’s.

- or make decisions about  rushing a traffic light - Agreed, I’m safer and don’t jump lights.

- or forced to wait for petrol - A few mins, but ever been in a taxi when they want to fill up for gas or use the bathroom !!!

- or required to check oil or tyres etc etc - I’m glad I’m doing this myself, trust the taxi’s to check their tyre pressures ?

Of course this is all dependent on a decent taxi service - Agreed... and lets be real, a lot of the taxi’s out there are hardly ‘decent service’.

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I noticed 25 years ago  in wealthy Singapore where public transport was very good car ownership seemed low..

I lived in Singapore - there was no need for a car....  public transport is cheap and excellent. The Island is small. Cars are outrageously priced as is the licence. 

Tokyo, London... major developed cities, there isn’t much need for a car.... In Thailand, its a different matter, it's not a fair comparison, Thailand is not yet ‘developed’ enough to comfortably rely on Public transport all the time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I got news for you, the world doesn't revolve around you impeding traffic on a bike. And by the way it was another poster who bragged about scaring bikers  ????

I got news for you - I have never ridden a bicycle in Thailand. You're certainly doing a good impression of the same guy as you seem to have a problem with foreigners getting in your way. Chill out next time you see one and count your lucky stars it wasn't me you were harrassing when I was a young cyclist.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

I got news for you - I have never ridden a bicycle in Thailand. You're certainly doing a good impression of the same guy as you seem to have a problem with foreigners getting in your way. Chill out next time you see one and count your lucky stars it wasn't me you were harrassing when I was a young cyclist.

You're the one who seems to have a behavioral problem. Winding you up is just too easy.  

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

a golf bag on the back seat and using a double strap is surprisingly stable, only thing to be careful with is the width so limited filtering

If it works for you, fine. I limit my speed on a scooter to 40 km/hr, and stay as far to the left as I can get. Works for me.

If I was to be obstructing cars with the increased width at 40 km/hr, IMO jai yenn yenn would be thrown overboard by other road users.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

You're the one who seems to have a behavioral problem. Winding you up is just too easy.  

You seem rather wound up yourself, judging by your last very childish response.... but of course now that you're admitting you're only here to troll (baiting or trying to wind a member up - and not even good at that), so we'll have to cut it short. Feel free to take another shot - I will not respond.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I use my "really safe" motorcycle everyday, but I would not ride my motorcycle to the airport or Bangkok. In fact, I use motorcycles in maximum of 10km radius to my home. Do you take your own car to the airport when you leave Thailand?

But your point was about hiring dangerous drivers for transport, and that we should own a car to avoid this. It is avoidable. Even if you don't have one safe driver to call, you could have 2 or 3 that you consider safe. If you want to buy a car, buy a car, but there's no need to make excuses for your decision. I get it, some people need/want cars. I have no problem with that.

People who talk about hiring safe drivers in Thailand and riding motorbikes in the same sentence are quite funny........

And yes, I like to drive top the airport and leave my car in the car park.

1 minute ago, sungod said:

People who talk about hiring safe drivers in Thailand and riding motorbikes in the same sentence are quite funny........

And yes, I like to drive top the airport and leave my car in the car park.

That's only because you are very confused. The reply about the safe drivers was in response to an ignorant comment by one member that safe drivers are impossible to find for hire. I'm debating that point for reasons given in that post. That was actually used as his excuse to own a car - now that's quite funny.  

• Like 1

Just now, JensenZ said:

That's only because you are very confused. The reply about the safe drivers was in response to an ignorant comment by one member that safe drivers are impossible to find for hire. I'm debating that point for reasons given in that post. That was actually used as his excuse to own a car - now that's quite funny.  

Only person confused around here is the guy who rides a 'safe motorbike' and gets Somchai to drop him off at the airport in his well maintained car. ????????????

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Absolutely you have blinders on. You continue to quote statistics blindly, suggesting that statistics are evidence of an individual's risk and that all things are equal.

If you look at a statistical chart, you'll find what they call standard deviations. An individual's risk has many factors. Put simply, there's a big difference in the way individuals drive/ride. Suggesting my risk is determined by your statistical charts and that my risk is equal to a teenage kid riding 3 up with his buddies is absurd, if not insulting. Even insurance companies know this and take age into consideration when quoting.

I get it, you're so good you're untouchable. Pardon me for doubting your expertiise.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I bet you are a man of means, what, with your luxury SUV  !!!! ????

Yes... four wheels are safer than two.....   riding a motorcycle in the day time wearing a helmet while not smashed up on Lao-Khao is also safer than the stats would indicate....

There is a huge convenience to any ‘personal means of mobility’ be it motorcycle or car, or both to be used as and when preferable.... 

Is a ‘personal means of mobility’ *(car or motorcycle) necessary in a city like Bangkok - absolutely not....  But life is better and easier with the option and not be forced to use taxi’s all the time.

If I was in Bangkok I'd get rid of the big SUV.

I'd prefer just a smaller sedan.

I've got a big family so a car is just a necessity.

Feels safer also during this prolonged pandemic.

The mass transit is filled with filthy falang.

Enjoy your week.

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The safety of any vehicle is completely dependent on the mindset of the user. Maintain a vehicle properly, drive defensively, concentrate on threat assessment and avoidance. It's not rocket science.

Well, I know many guys who ride bikes carefully, but have been taken out by other users. Thats not rocket science either when you look at the road safety figures here.

55 minutes ago, sungod said:

Only person confused around here is the guy who rides a 'safe motorbike' and gets Somchai to drop him off at the airport in his well maintained car. ????????????

Well, I haven't been to the airport for 7 years, but that ignorant poster who believes that there is no such thing as good Thai drivers with well maintained cars should perhaps consider living in a padded cell. It's surprising they had the courage to leave their home country. ????????????

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I get it, you're so good you're untouchable. Pardon me for doubting your expertiise.

Mr Statistics comes in again for another go LOL and this time with a sarcastic approach. Do you never quit? Please show me the comment where I said I was untouchable. I made it clear I am not and agreed there is higher risk on 2 wheels. The point is the risk is not set according to your statistical analysis, which you have not submitted, but constantly refer to. Putting everyone who rides a motorcycle in the same risk category is rather unscientific for a statistical analyst like you. We should check your sources.

Have a read here if you have some spare time. You might learn something you don't know about statistical analysis.

https://public.wsu.edu/~taflinge/evistats.html

Edited by JensenZ

32 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

If I was in Bangkok I'd get rid of the big SUV.

I'd prefer just a smaller sedan.

I've got a big family so a car is just a necessity.

Feels safer also during this prolonged pandemic.

The mass transit is filled with filthy falang.

Enjoy your week.

I suppose it's always a good thing if "filthy falangs" ride in their own cars. Thank you!

Not necessarily a car, but some form of  transport, depending  on the city you live in,  there are not always  motorbike taxi stands  any where near your (my) house, or   any other kind of taxi, always good to have some form of transport  at home for emegency journeys too..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

statistical analysis

Oaf.

You wouldn't know what statistics we're

if they landed on your receding hairline.

You should stop now before you appear even more lame.

If you ride your little bike like you post I'd be amazed if you survive long.

Stick to walking.

Save everyone a headache.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not necessarily a car, but some form of  transport, depending  on the city you live in,  there are not always  motorbike taxi stands  any where near your (my) house, or   any other kind of taxi, always good to have some form of transport  at home for emegency journeys too..

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I see why nobody likes you.

Now the popularity smear? You make a comment about "filthy falang" and think people like you?  

Essential Meaning of bigot

disapproving : a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Oaf.

You wouldn't know what that was if it landed on your receding hairline.

You should stop now before you appear even more lame.

If you ride your little bike like you post I'd be amazed if you survive long.

Stick to walking.

Save everyone a headache.

You're as lame as they come... with all your puerile comments LOL. You claim you don't want to read my posts, but continue to read them and reply? You're fixated.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 1

I live in BKK and can't imagine not having a car, especially now with Covid.

I don't want to sit in a taxi with some Somchai opening the door to spit on the floor at the lights, playing a badly wired stereo at 100 decibels, moaning about traffic or complaining if I want the AC turned up. All while potentially getting Covid. What a pain in the <deleted>. At least it's easy to get one at the moment but when things pick up we'll be back to the old "Cannot - too much traffic" or "300 Baht" for a 70 Baht journey nonsense. No thanks, I'd rather sit in my car listening to my choice of music with the climate control at 23 degrees.

I have motorbikes but that's not much fun when it's 38 degrees or hammering down with rain. Not much fun turning up at the restaurant sweaty or wet. 

Not to mention supermarket shopping or driving to our farm in Korat. Or weekend trips to the beaches in Rayong etc.

I guess if you live on Soi 8/Soi 11 and never venture past Soi 4/Soi 23 it might be OK not to have one. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Well, I haven't been to the airport for 7 years, but that ignorant poster who believes that there is no such thing as good Thai drivers with well maintained cars should perhaps consider living in a padded cell. It's surprising they had the courage to leave their home country. ????????????

Good luck on that 'safe motorbike' of yours!!! (says it all really)

Edited by sungod