Swedish man reportedly attacked by two Thai men on Pattaya Beach for no reason

webfact

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

So not inventing a catalogue of assumptions to fit a narrative,eh river high? ???? 

There is a lot to fill in , on this story. It seems to me, the real xenophobes/racists are the ones claiming that this good 'ol white man couldnt have done anything wrong and it was just some mad Thai lunatics that attacked him for no reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, bbko said:

Some here are saying it's illegal but they're wrong, there is no restrictions on drinking alcohol outside alone in Pattaya no matter what time of day or night.

You are not wrong but certain places like parks and restricted areas drinking are disallowed. But the important point is that you are in a foreign country and you need to respect the norms and culture of that respective country and in this case Thailand. Let me qoute you an extract from "Drinking culture in Thailand - Do & Don't.

most Thai people do frown on them and have Thai words for these type of people – bird <deleted> farang (farang ki nok), which is more about a disrespect for others, themselves, and culture rather than having no money and wearing flip-flops.

1 hour ago, FalangJaiDee said:

I like to do this thing where I point out the truth:

thai men barely tolerate farang men at best and hate them intensely at worst (which legitimizes the claim that the attack was unprovoked). I can completely believe it. Can you blame them? I can’t, especially when you have hordes of foreigners acting with social decorum that is completely antithetical to your culture down to SHOUTING when they talk and moving and gesturing sporadically and aggressively.

Every time I decide to go to a Thai venue or majority Thai gathering it feels like I’m gambling with my physical safety. Theres always at least one Thai guy that is leering like he’s just waiting for a cultural faux paus to arise that would legitimize him attacking me.

I’ve had Thai dudes try to goad me into saying something disrespectful by loading questions with a rude context (this happens when I try to speak Thai sometimes) so that when  I answer it can become a flashpoint for violence.

The Swedish guys “crime” was acting too comfortably and enjoying himself without the prerequisite of handing over money to a Thai person for the privilege to relax

Nah. That's not my experience. I don't find Thai men hard to get along with or deal with.

Ever been to South America or Mexico ? Totally different story. Handing over money for being somewhere is a S.America thing too. Not an Asia thing. You can see it on the tourist vloggers too.

17 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

In a normal world with more or less civilized people it shouldn't be a problem....... 

Alas the world is far from normal.

Sitting down having a beer at the beach should be a normal safe thing to do.. even late evening

but it's far from that.

Which is why this gentleman should have considered his actions a little more carefully.

• Like 1

This is a common story. The only difference is the Swedish guy says they were men and not ladyboys. I wonder if even these details have been verified by CCTV, witnesses or anything.

The fact that he says "the beach is for everyone" indicates that he held his ground in some kind of petty dispute. Instead of just defusing it and walking away.

“ I was chilling and sitting alone, drinking beer and relaxing on Pattaya Beach. A young Thai man approached me and immediately slapped me in the face before a second Thai man arrived and began screaming at me in broken English to get off the beach, threatening me physically. I was upset but decided to flee and file a police report.” The Swedish man explained to Pattaya police.

“I have no idea why these men attacked me and chased me away. I did nothing wrong, I’ve never met these men before, I didn’t say a single word to them or start a problem. The beach is public for everyone and I wasn’t causing any issues, just sitting alone relaxing.” The Swedish man added

Edited by Harsh Jones

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You are not wrong but certain places like parks and restricted areas drinking are disallowed. But the important point is that you are in a foreign country and you need to respect the norms and culture of that respective country and in this case Thailand. Let me qoute you an extract from "Drinking culture in Thailand - Do & Don't.

most Thai people do frown on them and have Thai words for these type of people – bird <deleted> farang (farang ki nok), which is more about a disrespect for others, themselves, and culture rather than having no money and wearing flip-flops.

Tedious. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ttrd said:

RE - There is ALWAYS a reason

* Yes, you have right - it's always a reason for everything

RE - and it usually involves the farang doing something stupid or being an ahole

* Not necessarily since the term "unprovoked violence" actually exist for a reason ... :thumbsup:

Ah...did he pay for the chair ?

32 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

This is a common story. The only difference is the Swedish guy says they were men and not ladyboys. I wonder if even these details have been verified by CCTV, witnesses or anything.

The fact that he says "the beach is for everyone" indicates that he held his ground in some kind of petty dispute. Instead of just defusing it and walking away.

When you are taught to stand up to thugs bullies and trash it's difficult to change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

No, he was not breaking any laws or doing anything wrong. You are just victim blaming. 

It's wrong when you disregard cultural etiquette in country not your own. Victim may have brought this on himself with his western behavior. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, riverhigh said:

I thought wearing no mask and drinking beer on the beach at 11 pm was illegal.

Not living in Pattaya so can’t comment on the legality.... Covid and it’s rules over a long 

period is wearing on people socially and financially. The slap in the face could of been 

a <deleted> if Covid restrictions were in place....  

imo a slap in the face would be a why question. ...

4 hours ago, riverhigh said:

I thought wearing no mask and drinking beer on the beach at 11 pm was illegal. Most porobably he was kicked out of bar at 9 pm (current law)  but wanted to continue drining on the beach, IMHO the Swedish man appears to be completely unaware of his environment and the public's paranoia (thai and foreigner) toward covid. The typical attitude of an uneducated foreigner of wanting everyone to see the world as he sees it.  He said he was just chilling out drinking a beer ... I doubt it. Most probably by 11 pm he was drunk as a skunk and bothering the freelancers on the beach, and making himself a target. The way he is slouching on the chair in the police station it appears he is completely drunk and anything that comes out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt!

let's say he was doing exactly what you allege. nothing wrong with that, just a normal night in Pattaya and no reason for him to cop any sheet from anyone. only little babies go home at 9 PM when mummy tells them to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

He looks quite old and sitting alone on a beach. Why in those circumstances would you assume he’d be the one picking a fight with two presumably younger Thais.?

How many times do we see men like this find themselves in kerfuffles with ladyboys on beach road ?

Judging by how he says "the beach is for everyone", it sounds like he was in a petty dispute of some kind. Sure, the beach is for everyone. But its not worth getting in any kind of dispute with young drunks.

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

There is ALWAYS a reason and it usually involves the farang doing something stupid or being an ahole.  

I think he must have said something, made noise, raving drunk in Swedish.

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Rubbish! Random attacks happen all the time!

In Thailand?  Usually a perceived insult, complaining about real or fanciful fleecing by angry taxi drivers or bars,  Being rude to ladyboys. Just mind own business and keep walking. Except for Thai gals fighting outside Pubs only attacks I saw in Thailand were between foreigners.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Sad 1