The Silent, Vaccinated, Impatient Majority

cdemundo

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Burn the books, censor every internet forum, ban freedom of speech too?

Never advocated burning books. It's US Republicans most active on that scene at the moment. All media should be censored for hate speech, antisocial behaviour and misinformation. It is a responsibility of the media owners to do so or be prosecuted for failure to do so. They obviously have a right of appeal. 

Would you repeal Section 18C of the Racial Vilification Act? Or the entire Act? No country has an absolute right to freedom of speech. For example, one can't make bomb jokes in an airport. They obviously can't make defamatory statements without proving it's true. Defamation laws exist everywhere. The term "Freedom of speech" is a mantra used by those who would use the right in the worst way to appeal to the worst aspects of human nature and make a claim to be free to do so. Do you not believe that there should be any limits to freedom of speech and if so, what might those limits be in a social context?

Most western nations have perfectly adequate and well protected laws permitting free speech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:43 PM, ozimoron said:

Do you not believe that there should be any limits to freedom of speech and if so, what might those limits be in a social context?

Most western nations have perfectly adequate and well protected laws permitting free speech.

NO. Only speech that threatens public order or might cause injury or death eg shouting fire in a theatre.

If people are offended by speech, that's their problem, IMO.

More than that is getting into politics so I'll leave it there.

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NO. Only speech that threatens public order or might cause injury or death eg shouting fire in a theatre.

If people are offended by speech, that's their problem, IMO.

More than that is getting into politics so I'll leave it there.

Shouting fire in a theatre isn't illegal.  It's a saying used by those for fall for the free speech/first amendment misinformation.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Agree.

Misinformation on vaccines and  COVID absolutely fits the bill for causing injury and death to others,

Misinformation is a direct cause of people refusing vaccines and not following public health advice. 

............and dying......

• Confused 1

Perhaps those pushing for "Freedom of Speech" should read up on it.  It's far from an absolute right, especially when it comes to the health and welfare of others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

The version of Article 19 in the ICCPR later amends this by stating that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "[f]or respect of the rights or reputation of others" or "[f]or the protection of national security or of public order (order public), or of public health or morals."[3]

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:46 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Agree.

Misinformation on vaccines and  COVID absolutely fits the bill for causing injury and death to others,

Misinformation is a direct cause of people refusing vaccines and not following public health advice. 

I didn't refuse pfizer because of misinformation, whatever that may be, but from what I researched on reputable sites about side effects. To be clear, side effects are real, and factual.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I didn't refuse pfizer because of misinformation, whatever that may be, but from what I researched on reputable sites about side effects. To be clear, side effects are real, and factual.

All vaccines have side effects.  Heck, for me, even taking vitamins upsets my stomach.

What vaccine did you get?

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

All vaccines have side effects.  Heck, for me, even taking vitamins upsets my stomach.

One that wasn't pfizer and didn't cause any side effects to me- hint, it wasn't an mRNA one.

I know someone that had serious side effects from pfizer.

Save the usual arguments about it, as I have been double vaxxed. I'd rather have been tested weekly though.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One that wasn't pfizer and didn't cause any side effects to me- hint, it wasn't an mRNA one.

I know someone that had serious side effects from pfizer.

Save the usual arguments about it, as I have been double vaxxed. I'd rather have been tested weekly though.

That leaves either AZ, which has had many side effects reported also, or a Chinese one.  Or, I guess, Russian.  Bizarre.

P.S. I don't know anyone who's had side effects from Pfizer.  Other than a bit under the weather for a day, or a sore arm.  And i know hundreds personally who've gotten the jab.

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

He won’t tell you, doing so would restrict his ability to obfuscate.

The ‘side effects’ argument being an example, side effects are something others risked, while  his mystery vaccines had zero side effects, or at least nobody can point them out.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which fails to address my point:

Misinformation on vaccines and  COVID absolutely fits the bill for causing injury and death to others,

Misinformation is a direct cause of people refusing vaccines and not following public health advice. ”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some people would prefer to take their chances with the virus , rather than talking their chances with a vaccine .

Its also been reported that natural immunity is better than a vaccine 

"protection afforded by previous infections against reinfection by Omicron may be as low as 19 per cent."

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some people would prefer to take their chances with the virus , rather than talking their chances with a vaccine .

Its also been reported that natural immunity is better than a vaccine 

No credible source reports natural immunity is better than a vaccine, hence your failure to provide a link.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1