Jump to content

Entering Thailand via Phuket Sandbox on a single ticket


Recommended Posts

Is it OK for my Aussie friend to enter Thailand via the Phuket Sandbox on a single ticket and then fly back to Australia from BKK? Would this cause problems in obtaining a COE if he just booked a single ticket to Phuket? Secondly, for a 45-day trip, can he enter using 30-day visa on arrival and then extend for another 30 days?

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

for a 45-day trip, can he enter using 30-day visa on arrival and then extend for another 30 days?

Yes will work.

As for flying visa exempt the airline at departure will want to see onward flight to issue boarding pass. 

His options are to either buy cheapest throw away ticket.

Or buy a rent a ticket from net or have a return ticket that he intends to use. 

My guess is he is flying Jetstar if Oz to Phuket. They are strict re onward flight. 

 

Edit: given your friend only wants to stay less than 60 days he could also consider Tourist Visa. Gives 60 day stamp when arrive Thailand. 

 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The COE was changed to the Thailand Pass a few months ago.

There is no requirement to have a onward ticket for the sandbox.

Since he is from Australia he would get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days not a 15 day visa on arrival.

The only problem he may have is that the airline will as to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days to board his flight to hete without a visa for entry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, to participate in the Phuket Sandbox, Phuket must be the only airport at which you land in Thailand (specifically, you cannot land in Bangkok and participate in the Phuket Sandbox, that has never been possible).  Just to be clear, this restriction applies to someone arriving into the Phuket Sandbox only, after you graduate from the sandbox you can land anywhere you want to in Thailand.

You can leave Thailand from any airport you want to.

So a single round-trip ticket that lands in Thailand only in Phuket and leaves from Bangkok would not violate any rules.  Many people do this as Bangkok often has better prices and connections than Phuket.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The airline in Oz won't let him on the plane without a visa covering his stay as the entry stamp isn't sufficient in length and the extension is never guaranteed.

 

Even then, they may want to see evidence of a flight out.

Easiest to buy a flight from Bangkok and present both, using a 60 day tourist visa to cover the whole of the trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SGD said:

The airline in Oz won't let him on the plane without a visa covering his stay as the entry stamp isn't sufficient in length and the extension is never guaranteed.

As I wrote they will allow him to board the flight if he a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote they will allow him to board the flight if he a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

 

I left Australia for Phuket on a one way Singapore Airlines ticket, visa exempt on Sunday. I was ready to buy a ticket if they asked but Singapore Airlines at the airport said it does not matter.  It does make some sense as is hard to expect someone to arrive at one airport and return from another. I think  the booking apps usually give a choice - one way or return. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty tired of seeing these posts saying you must get an onward flight.

 

I have travelled to Thailand for 15 years on 30 day visa exempt entry and most have been on one-way flights. I have never been asked to show a ticket leaving Thailand, with my most recent one-way flight arrival being 14 January

 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm pretty tired of seeing these posts saying you must get an onward flight.

 

I have travelled to Thailand for 15 years on 30 day visa exempt entry and most have been on one-way flights. I have never been asked to show a ticket leaving Thailand, with my most recent one-way flight arrival being 14 January

 

I just flew in Nov 2021 visa exempt from USA and was asked at check in for flight out, had my $12.00 "Onward Flight" itinerary. But hey good for you for bypassing this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I have travelled to Thailand for 15 years on 30 day visa exempt entry and most have been on one-way flights

My experience is the opposite.

Depends on airline to some extent.

To peddle information that it's not required is imo reckless. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

My experience is the opposite.

Depends on airline to some extent.

To peddle information that it's not required is imo reckless. 

What's the worse case scenario, if demanded to see ticket then go book your $12 fake ticket and show them. 

 

What is more reckless in my opinion is telling newbies they must book a ticket when that is not the case

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

It does make some sense as is hard to expect someone to arrive at one airport and return from another.

The ticket that the airline may/would ask for does not need to be return ticket or out of same airport. Any onward flight out of Thailand is sufficient. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The ticket that the airline may/would ask for does not need to be return ticket or out of same airport. Any onward flight out of Thailand is sufficient. 

Or no ticket is also good

 

I'm starting to think these 'must get an onward ticket" posters are getting a cut somehow lol

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Telling people they may be asked for a ticket out of the country is much better than telling they do no need one. I can assure you many people have been asked to show one in order to board their flight to here.

It is certainly a requirement for a visa exempt entry to have a ticket out of the country if immigration asks for one when entering the country.

And yet I've never been asked for one in 15 years of one-way ticket travel. They should at least know there is another version of the rules

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

And yet I've never been asked for one in 15 years of one-way ticket travel

Which airline. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which airline. 

 

Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines, Etihad Airways

 

Edited by aussiexpat
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Thai Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Etihad Airways

Make sure you never fly Jetstar, AirAsia Scoot etc etc.

Because you MUST have onward flight.

Anyway think done with this sideshow. 

 

 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The ticket that the airline may/would ask for does not need to be return ticket or out of same airport. Any onward flight out of Thailand is sufficient. 

I did ask at the Singapore desk when leaving and she said I do not need. Lady at Thai Immigration at Phuket Airport was very sweet.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Telling people they may be asked for a ticket out of the country is much better than telling they do no need one. I can assure you many people have been asked to show one in order to board their flight to here.

It is certainly a requirement for a visa exempt entry to have a ticket out of the country if immigration asks for one when entering the country.

Yes. I had checked the booking app on my phone and was ready to go if asked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wongkitlo said:

Lady at Thai Immigration at Phuket Airport was very sweet.

Dont follow. 

What does lady at Thai immigration have to do with things? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Dont follow. 

What does lady at Thai immigration have to do with things? 

I was ready for  the "why you come so often, where's your onward ticket" questions but she just smiled and stamped my passport.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was ready for  the "why you come so often, where's your onward ticket" questions but she just smiled and stamped my passport.

As it should be.

BTW immigration at arrival in Thailand would almost never have an interest in onward flight.

In the main it's to satisfy airline at departure 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

It does make some sense as is hard to expect someone to arrive at one airport and return from another. I think  the booking apps usually give a choice - one way or return. 

Tickets like this are booked every day.  There's usually a multi city choice as well and that what to use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2022 at 1:49 PM, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote they will allow him to board the flight if he a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

 

So if he has a 60-day Tourist Visa, a return or onward ticket is not required...correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

So if he has a 60-day Tourist Visa, a return or onward ticket is not required...correct?

The discussion about onward ticket requirement is from the airline at check in.

If someone has a visa or reentry permit the airline will not require you to show onward flight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...