Cabinet approves plans to attract long-stay foreigners to Thailand

snoop1130

Unless I have misunderstood,    you need to front up 100,000 baht, being      10,000 baht  for  each of ten years.  Im Ok with that, to a degree,  as     people who  presently use an agent pay more than that per year.  But  what happens at the end of ten years, assuming  one is  still in the land of living..."Get out now farang, times up" ????

A detail that many overlook is that the Thai birth rate is now 1.5, way below the 2.1 needed to maintain the population. They’re facing the same demographic problem as many western countries. They can either make it easier for relatively well off westerners to live here or their country will fill up with Burmese and Cambodians.

1.5 is drastically low.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gold Star said:

If only they would make life easier for ALL long term residents here, it would attract the wealthy and professionals.

In order to have anyone want to move here, they need to:

-change property ownership rules to allow land ownership, even small plots

-get rid of useless 90 day reporting

-stop idiotic visa paperwork and evidence of foreign transfers for 800k,

-dual pricing

-health insurance requirements for the uninsurable capable of self insuring

-keep stable government policies to allow investment in business or properties without high degrees of risk

-treat foreigners the same as Thais are treated in foreign countries

Spot on. But unfortunately will never happen due to Thai mentality, no common sense or logic.

• Like 1

I can see the allure for some categories but as a retiree it's not for me. My annual retirement extension used to be a stressful chore but since the personnel at my local immigration office has changed to young I Os the last couple of years it has taken less than an hour. 90 day reports take me 5 minutes using the smartphone app.

• Like 1

Good luck to Thailand, but have they ever heard that "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush"?

1. Pre-pandemic: they spent years pushing people out by cutting down on visa runs and repeat visas.

2. Now I hear (from a few vloggers) that "covid visa extensions" will no longer be offered, and people are leaving.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gold Star said:

If only they would make life easier for ALL long term residents here, it would attract the wealthy and professionals.

In order to have anyone want to move here, they need to:

-change property ownership rules to allow land ownership, even small plots

-get rid of useless 90 day reporting

-stop idiotic visa paperwork and evidence of foreign transfers for 800k,

-dual pricing

-health insurance requirements for the uninsurable capable of self insuring

-keep stable government policies to allow investment in business or properties without high degrees of risk

-treat foreigners the same as Thais are treated in foreign countries

Well said, exactly how it should be, especially the part about how Thais are treated in other countries. unfortunately, the racist xenophobic leaders here would never agree.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, law ling said:

Good luck to Thailand, but have they ever heard that "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush"?

1. Pre-pandemic: they spent years pushing people out by cutting down on visa runs and repeat visas.

2. Now I hear (from a few vloggers) that "covid visa extensions" will no longer be offered, and people are leaving.

1. And yet total tourist numbers were increasing. They were cutting down on non-tourist using Tourist Visas and the availability of Non-Imm-O Multiples, being used by a lot of people who worked outside Thailand yet lived here. 

2. Covid Extensions, by their very name, were expected to have a limited lifespan. They were introduced for those trapped outside their own countries. Those countries no longer restrict Nationals. I suspect a lot of people using them now are people residing in Thailand who, for whatever reason, do not want to change to a more applicable Extension. 

Edited by jacko45k

12 hours ago, Boyn said:

They hope you have spent all your money and then quietly die

That's my long term plan lol ???????? Live, love, spend, enjoy, bask in the sun and sea, then shuffle-off this mortal coil in the paradise I live amongst. Not unlike a dead buggie actually. 

Edited by Tropposurfer

looks like everyone that was complaining about the 90-day report of residence, can if one has enough money, for 10,000 baht you only have to do that report once a year plus your yearly extension fee!  Did I miss something.  Then you can only extend for an additional 5 years after the first 5 years.  It doesn't look to me like this is anything positive for retirees but maybe I just can't read between the lines.

Personally, I think that being with and the special ability of staying married to a Thai woman is a highly skilled profession as it stands after 10 years of marriage. And the extention should be extended to 10 years each time after doing annual extentions for 10 years straight.  It's only fair since a foreign woman already gets special privileges for being married to a Thai man from the start.  I wouldn't  mind paying for the whole 10 years all at once.  The proof of income for most of us on marriage extensions is to have a monthly pension if not showing 400k฿ in our named bank.  Showing 10 years of kr22's should be good enough for every further extensions on pensions.  Everything else is in Immigration computers.  All monthly income should be annually averaged as stated to compensate for varying monthly exchange rates. 480k฿ for the year.  It's very discriminating but I understand they want money coming into Thailand.  But I can imagine most foriegn women have some short of income or 400k savings.  But it's so much easier than getting a Green Card for my wife was back in the USA, less expensive, and a lot more paperwork and photos before getting the final 10 Green Card.  But it is Permanant Residence with the advantage of getting a SS Card to work at ANY job qualified for the same as American citizens.

I see elsewhere that the are requiring once a year reporting of address. Perhaps the Thai Government could clarify at what level of wealth foreigners cease to be such a threat to "National Security" that 90 day reporting is no longer required.

In other news: They are living in a dream world. Thailand dictates the terms and expects wealthy people with options to jump to them. My guess is that they will demand that long term retirees who have been renewing their extension every year move over to the "correct" visa for "long stay" It's really death by a thousand cuts for farangs in Thailand.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The visa fee is 10,000 baht per year for each applicant. They will be required to report to authorities once a year to confirm their place of residence.

Not so bad.

The visa type can be changed in accordance with immigration rules.

This means de facto no investment security for 10 years

I have to pay slightly more than 10,000 baht per year to renew my mandatory Thai health insurance that I don't need ( nor possibly qualify for any claims) for other than a condition for my annual non O-A extenstion that costs 1,900 baht.

But I have unlimited foreign health insurance without pre-existing condition limits that is accepted by several private hospitals requiring little or no out of pocket costs. Compare that with the 300 baht fee for alleged Thai medical insurance coverage fee on tourists visiting Thailand. 

If the government were to accept established private hospital accounts allowing foreign health insurance as a  substitute for the mandatory Thai health insurance with the 10,000 baht per year visa fee, a 10,000 baht annual visa fee is worthwhile. 

13 hours ago, gearbox said:

That's actually not a bad price if it includes multiple reentry permit and doesn't require 90 days reporting.

10,000 baht per year compared to 1,900 baht to extend a Non-O based on Retirement.
I normally get a single Reentry Permit for 1,000 baht.
The phone app works for me for 90-day Reporting. Free.

Still, IF it makes life easier because I don't like going to the IO (with the possibility of some extra requirement I was not aware of), and IF I don't have to go to CW to apply (can be done at my local IO or by post), I MIGHT be interested if the whole thing is clarified.

13 hours ago, Paulaew said:

According to the story in thaipsworld, they want 10,000 baht year for a visa fee. No thanks.

Paul Laew

If 90 day reporting were scrapped there's 4 sets of petrol/travel costs. (Don't tell me to do it on line!)  Add in constant photocopying money on two copies of everything; 800K untouchable in a Thai bank; no annual angst about which Immigration official will screen your application; no tea money/'fines' to worry about and 10K looks a good hassle-free deal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I have a SMART visa. 10k per year, annual reporting, automatic re-entry. In comparison with other countries I've worked, this visa setup is mildly irritating. It's not a deal breaker, but it's definitely not a benefit.

People who specifically want to come to Thailand will come anyway. This isn't going to sway anyone who is open to other options.

What's a SMART visa? I've been here 14 years and never heard of this. 10K a year vs 7K for non O extension plus re-entry.....with no 90 day reporting, it's a bargain.

Hmmm, as always, subject to the fine print. On the surface, a ten year, long term retired resident Visa @ 10,000 baht a year is doable for me (no 90 day reporting and including at least one annual exit-reentry). Include an option to join the national healthcare system at an additional reasonable annual premium and I would definitely see a benefit. Financial benefit for Thailand and for this long term retiree with Thai family. Hmmm, nice plastic wallet card (stating name, issue, expire date) to be presented with my Passport when entering national parks (thus no dual pricing), exit & re-entry to the country, annual address reporting (or during the year if changing address), presenting for national healthcare service. Yes, I know dream on ...

Edited by wwest5829

2 hours ago, law ling said:

Thankfully, with 194 other countries beside Thailand, there are numerous other places for expats to enjoy...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

I have had a Retirement Visa (SRRV) in the Philippines for 8+ years and have NEVER been inside an immigration office. It can be done if the Thai govt really want to

Everything is possible, but the current situation is all about keeping as many family members in jobs or generating cash from people who wish to join the cash cow .. 

The whole thing could be done online. My last extension here, I think my fourth - I just handed over my paperwork, sat there, the IO asked the same questions as last year - she had no English ability so asked my wife how we met, what do I and my wife does, virtually nothing. 25 mins later we were out the door.

Like you say, because they won’t ..

10 year visa for wealthy expats, that’s not me, never gonna happen, more hot air .. nothing to see here

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

What's a SMART visa? I've been here 14 years and never heard of this. 10K a year vs 7K for non O extension plus re-entry.....with no 90 day reporting, it's a bargain.

Maybe it's related to Immigration's Smart Cars... ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much