Cabinet approves plans to attract long-stay foreigners to Thailand

snoop1130

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Oh god no. That would be a nightmare having tons of yelling Chinese people and gangs of Indians running around Thailand.

Better than prostitute bride seekers hopping from brothels to brothels uttering sexual jokes at the local girls in the baht buses that they won't dare to utter in London buses. 

• Like 1

I like the part about attracting pensioners (NOT) the income requirements for staying in Thailand are ridiculously high and beyond the income level of most pensioners. I have 2 UK pensions NHS and State and still am not at the level required. It seems that an income of £19,500 after tax is compulsory and keep a specified amount in a Thai bank doing nothing

5 hours ago, Pedanov said:

Will this be more attractive then Elite Ultimate Privilege Visa for example? Or will all Elite Visa programs be suspended instead? ))

as someone else on this thread mentioned the smart visa he is on, is close in some ways to this new proposal, work wise, I would guess it's a mixture of smart and elite visa, with added extra large finance needed for a big 'if' of future land ownership, and why only use elite, could include the retirement visa in uour missive

Forget the 10,000 baht fee there is zero information on what the other conditions are to qualify, again this is another waste of time the Thai Elite 5,10, 20 year cards give any foreigner wanting to stay in Thailand provided he doesn’t need a work permit everything he/she needs, the volume of potential long stayers are relatively poor and have a hard job scrapping  together the Bht800,000 to lodge with a bank for a retirement visa !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CLW said:

Even the already in place Smart visa scheme seems to me (from Employer and Employee side) a non starter. 

If I had the choice between smart visa and regular work permit + extension of stay I would opt out for the latter. 

And now they are thinking of another badly thought out scheme that only a few people can use or will apply...

What a waste

looks like a whole lot of mix of current different visas, work visa like smart visas, retired people using some things from the present retirement visa, using 5 years like elite visa, add family members and prospects of land ownership, from the latest articles, maybe its slanted to work/business/ future land ownership, can't see many people getting too excited, not bright enough outlook with men in green in charge

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:23 PM, Gold Star said:

If only they would make life easier for ALL long term residents here, it would attract the wealthy and professionals.

In order to have anyone want to move here, they need to:

-change property ownership rules to allow land ownership, even small plots

-get rid of useless 90 day reporting

-stop idiotic visa paperwork and evidence of foreign transfers for 800k,

-dual pricing

-health insurance requirements for the uninsurable capable of self insuring

-keep stable government policies to allow investment in business or properties without high degrees of risk

-treat foreigners the same as Thais are treated in foreign countries

Excellent suggestions, I will pass them on to the PM next time I see him. Khap khun krap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if they ever actually asked any wealthy foreigners what would attract them to a country like Thailand? Would they like Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs to make this a home away from home? If they could attract just one wealthy and famous name to come and create a part time home here it would work wonders as PR. Short of that, they don't seem to be listening to ANY qualified voices on the matter - namely, US! In a more ideal world, they could charge one person and a department with reviewing all of the burdensome and unnecessary immigration rules and procedures, eliminating those bothersome barriers which are putting off a lot of people. And as WE all know, that is a LOT of people. There seems to be a total vacuum when it comes to common business sense as would apply to this. It baffles me. If a person is wealthy enough they can afford to pick and choose from anywhere in the world, so why Thailand? What could this government do to put Thailand at the top of the lists of the wealthy? I don't think they have a clue. My opinion, they should be going for quantity first - large numbers of regular people and tourists, non wealthy pensioners and expats, and add to that any incentives for the wealthy. They could have it all, and nothing to lose by doing it. The other side of this is, what are they doing to shore up the Thai economy in terms of industry and global trade? Relying on tourist and foreigners' spending is very shaky ground upon which to base an economy, and we are seeing what happens when all that comes tumbling down. But who am I? Just another tintong farang cheap charlie

• Like 1

Without the details hard to judge, but why would you come here (bring your wealth)

start, develop & operate a business when after 10 years ???????

Can they own the business or must it be 51% Thai ?

Need a lot more details if they are ever forthcoming

• Like 1

Yup wealthy Thais wanting the wealthy foreigner, same same. 

Forget all of us people who just want to be somewhere warmer than where our home

country is.  I guess Thailand will never change.  I actually do not like being in Thailand from the End of February until

at least May as it is just too hot. One of the many reasons that I do not plan to be a year round

expat in Thailand.

18 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes I hope so too but whats the difference between this new visa and the current retirement visa other than it's for 10 years.

I am cynical.... we have had the 10 year 'Visas' before, what with the Elite, and the O-X. the latter did not seem to do very well. Plus I note they need extending after 5 years so does that really mean a 5 year Visa and a foot still on your head? My own interest would only be for a retirement option, ie no need to have a work permit... and like the O-X, I would be expecting to see prohibitive requirements hanging from it. Obligatory Medical Insurance.... (obviously Thai sourced, which is mostly rubbish here)...and some money in the bank or investment requirement. Can't see my UK State Pension being much of a carrot. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 1/18/2022 at 8:15 PM, Chelseafan said:

So 10 years max for pensioners? What then ?

Nice headline but as always lacking detail....

Where does it say "max"?

You can apply for up to 10 years, presumably per application. It doesn't say you're limited to one application in your lifetime.

Depending upon the requirements for certification, I don't see how this is an inferior option to the standard 1 year extension with 90 day reporting, or the Elite visa at a considerably higher price. Assuming it would be multi entry /exit, then it's little more than double the annual visa extension based on retirement or marriage at B10,000 /ann.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:52 PM, Paulaew said:

The story didn't have any details on re-entry permits, but the reporting was annually rather than every 90 days. (If they can do that for them, why not for us?)

Paul Laew

Because you're on a 1 year visa extension and not a premium 10 year long term resident visa. People are complaining there's no point to it, but you've just highlighted one benefit.

• Confused 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:18 PM, cheapcanuck said:

There would need to be some juicy nuggets in that visa to get people to buy into it. 5 year visa with a 5 year extension is not that nugget.

Besides, in the land of the flip flop, who would be crazy enough to get a visa that will be cancelled or altered two years in?

I can hardly see it being cancelled retrospectively, for existing visa holders over the originally agreed term.

Go to Malaysia and see what they've done for the MM2H visa, if you think Thailand is bad.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 9:02 PM, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

less than 28 baht a day.

Peanuts.

Less than B18 / day MORE than the standard 1 year multi entry / exit visa extension, and further savings on trips for 90 day reporting. Probably works out cheaper in the long run for people some distance from their nearest Immigration office.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:43 PM, tomacht8 said:

Whatever the outcome is, one thing is for sure: a mountain of paper copies and a multitude of officials digging through the mush, each making their own rules.

But only twice in 10 years....

On 1/19/2022 at 8:19 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Unless I have misunderstood,    you need to front up 100,000 baht, being      10,000 baht  for  each of ten years.  Im Ok with that, to a degree,  as     people who  presently use an agent pay more than that per year.  But  what happens at the end of ten years, assuming  one is  still in the land of living..."Get out now farang, times up" ????

Do you also worry about about being kicked out every year, when you turn up for your annual visa extension? 

• Confused 1

Only suckers would trust a coup government to give them anything, let alone a 10 year visa that has to be renewed after 5 years?

And what do you do after 10 years with no more visa? After you invested in property? 

Edited by inThailand

Dear Thailand,

Wealthy people will go where there is no hassle, no mountains of paperwork, no immigration system that changes with the wind, and which varies from one IO to the next.  Truly wealthy people value their time above all else and will not waste it on your hostile immigration system with its attendant excessive admin.

This idea is another dead duck as far as I am concerned.  I'm just not tempted to stay in LOVS long term because of all the rules designed to keep IO's in work and falang at bay, plus over time these always seem to increase rather than decrease.  It's all just an unnecessary PITA. There are plenty of other places to go which are far more welcoming than Thailand and so I shall continue to visit only as a tourist and my retirement $$$ will go elsewhere.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thanx but I do not intend for my money to outlive me, I am going to do whatever I can to spend it all before I tap out.      Peace

I wish I had your crystal balls, to predict the end.....

1 hour ago, tonray said:

10 year 'Overstay" Visa only costs 20,000 baht plus air ticket on exit. No 90 day, no TM30, no visits to IO...I plan on getting one when I'm about 75...

You might also end up with a free extension to stay at the Bangkok Hilton....

• Haha 1