Cabinet approves plans to attract long-stay foreigners to Thailand

snoop1130

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

Can't see many takers for this that haven't already been "attracted" by the existing visa options.

i agree  100%

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Just wind them rules back 30 years and then leave the system alone

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Oh god no. That would be a nightmare having tons of yelling Chinese people and gangs of Indians running around Thailand

And why you think only falangs have right to yell and behave like headless chicken? Racist much??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

In Indonesia if you have an Indonesian wife you can get a lifetime visa after 7 years of marriage. Although you do have to visit immigration every three years. 

Thats good in Thailand the foreign male spouse of a Thai national and father their Thai children have only temporary non immigrant rights to stay with their Thai families.

Edited by userabcd
  • Sad 1

I understand a visa processing fee like 2 or 3.000 Baht but what's this yearly 10,000 Baht fee per year? Sounds like a subscription you have to pay to make the government endure those pesky farang for another year. 

Do they realise most foreigners pay a lot more taxes (Vat) than the average Thai citizen. 

Also I would think from their background of taxation system at home foreigners would agree to declare their income and pay income tax on that.

How many Thais work in informal jobs and pay zero taxes? 

And always this nonsense talk about attracting wealthy individuals. Just need to roughly scroll through social media where those people reside. Thailand isn't one of these countries for sure...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Be careful for what you wish for. Once they relax ownership rules the Chinese will buy up every single piece of land, pushing up prices to unafforable levels. 

They already did that last century with mass Chinese immigration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

I understand a visa processing fee like 2 or 3.000 Baht but what's this yearly 10,000 Baht fee per year? Sounds like a subscription you have to pay to make the government endure those pesky farang for another year. 

Do they realise most foreigners pay a lot more taxes (Vat) than the average Thai citizen. 

Also I would think from their background of taxation system at home foreigners would agree to declare their income and pay income tax on that.

How many Thais work in informal jobs and pay zero taxes? 

And always this nonsense talk about attracting wealthy individuals. Just need to roughly scroll through social media where those people reside. Thailand isn't one of these countries for sure...

Yep there is billions of baht of potential taxable revenue annually being laundered through the informal sector.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

What's a SMART visa? I've been here 14 years and never heard of this. 10K a year vs 7K for non O extension plus re-entry.....with no 90 day reporting, it's a bargain.

It's for people working in certain fields or with specific skill sets. There are other versions of it aimed at investors. They aren't aimed at tourists or retirees, but the admin requirements seem to be the same as these newly proposed ones.

15 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Nice headline but as always lacking detail....

yes they have talked about attracting long term pensioners---but dont seem to lay out the plan.......

The Plan that they tell us has now been approved in principle by Thai cabinet .......................:omfg:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Renew again I hope. I hear Cambodians can get a pink ID that allows them leave to remain. Something along those lines for retired Expats?

Yes I hope so too but whats the difference between this new visa and the current retirement visa other than it's for 10 years.

If anyone trusts the Thai government to stick to the decisions regarding the so called 'long term' visa, in my opinion, they are foolish beyond belief. This is a 5 year visa, with the 'opportunity' to extend for another 5 years. I am a professional worker, out of retirement, having lived in Thailand for 3 years under a non-O-A visa, extending yearly, firstly leaving and returning to the country before the visa expired, second by reporting to Immigration to extend the stay. 90 day reports, extensions, certificate of residence for driving license renewal...nice days out, but frustrating. Will all this be required should I wish to be the professional that wishes to work from Thailand, or the pensioner...

Oh and by the way... What's the difference between professionals and highly skilled professionals?

15 hours ago, Gold Star said:

In order to have anyone want to move here, they need to:

-change property ownership rules to allow land ownership, even small plots

I agree with the rest of your list, but this one I can understand why Thais have it. Look at places like London, where foreign investors have come in and brought up huge amounts of housing, so working class Londoners are being squeezed out of the housing market. 

There is of courses other factors, in that I also think a model like Singapore is good with subsidized housing, but that is another argument. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

Can't see many takers for this that haven't already been "attracted" by the existing visa options.

Can't see many takers for this that haven't already been TOLERATED by the existing visa options

It seems that many are asking for the gov't to allow foreigners to buy land. I am not sure they realize the full implications. That rule is there for good reasons. Personally I think it's better not to touch it.

As for the rest, the story is rather vague on important details but overall I think that there will be relatively few takers: either you are rich and then the Elite is already there, or you are already qualified for other visas (esp. retirees) and then why waste extra money (10,000/year instead of 1,900/extension).

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

come spend all your pension and all your money then die around 9 yrs + 360 days ....

that's what this guy wants .

Are you talking about the guy in your avatar Steven? Your surely well on the slosh today.:burp:

The "full" article referenced has zero details on what the exact programs are or the requirements.

If they are somewhat the same as discussed several months ago, I might be interested, however without any real details I will have to wait and see the specifics.
many of the original ideas, to me, a bit silly.
I would be OK with some minimal required insurance, as long as foreign polices would be accepted.
90 reporting, to me is just an old relic; should be updated or scrapped totally

the existing retirement visa requirement of 800 or 850k in a bank account.
I understand the original idea, however implementation, makes little sense.
Put all this money in a local bank account, to show Thailand you have this much money
OK great; but oh by the way, you can never spend it, or we'll kick you out.
what's the point of showing you can come up with this amount, to show you have enough money not to burden Thailand, but never allowed to spend it?

I can invest this amount of money, and make more than enough to pay a better than modest amount of rent in Thailand, and probably enough for food as well. I have 30+ years experience doing things like this, so it can be done.

I would qualify for 2 or 3 of these programs, as published a few months ago, but without some reasonable changes to the requirements, would probably pass on them. If I bought a reasonably priced condo, and was allowed to live in it, maybe; investing in govt. bonds with such a low return, no thanks!

says 10 year term, but only good for 5 years, then have to apply for extension.
maybe stating it's a 5 year visa, extendable one time 'maybe' would be more accurate.