Cabinet approves plans to attract long-stay foreigners to Thailand

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Caldera said:

Can't see many takers for this that haven't already been "attracted" by the existing visa options.

Quite the reverse. If it allows remote workers to stay in Thailand for 10 years, for 100,000 Bhat / $3000 USD with a WP, it could be a winner. There is no visa solution that works for that segment.

Devil will be in the detail, of course. The article is light on that and eligibility.

'Those who believe they are in one of these groups can apply for a qualification certificate by providing evidence and relevant documentation to prove their status with the Thai Board of Investment (BOI)'. Though this sounds like a high level of belief could get you the Smart visa, which is what this is, there are actually 5 falang type they are interested in and the qualifications are here  https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/index.html#qualifications

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elgenon said:

10,000 baht is good if you are not hassled to do anything except an easy extension after 5 years.

But being put out of the country after making a life for 10 years, and spending your money in Thailand, is harsh.

There are other visa options thereafter, it does not say people are banned or deported after 10 years. 

33 minutes ago, verticalift said:

Old news. Just go to any Thai Embassy website and you’ll see the 10 year “O-X” Visa listed.

I was issued an O-X Retirement Visa in October 2019. 

This is the same as a work permit, but long term.

Edited by jmccarty

Seen quite a few videos on the subject of "tourist" versus "long stay" and most seem to be of the opinion that the tourist would normally be here for maybe 4 to 6 weeks, spend all their saved holiday money and <deleted> off back to their homeland to earn more until next year.

In contrast, the long stay appear to watch their spending so it will last for whatever length of time they decide.

Positives on both I'd imagine but I am in the former group, and as already stated, there are already visas to cover most of the above.

It really looks like a way to raise some extra money from drongos who know no better.

10k baht per year, while eliminating the hassle/expense/uncertainty of border runs, and while eliminating the need for 800K in a Thai bank actually sounds good.   10k can be offset by just an extra 1.25% annual yield on those funds invested in your home country vs. in a Thai bank time deposit.  The main downside is if it requires an up-front payment for all ten years.  Many will want the option of a long stay but not want to pre-pay (and pre-commit) for all of it.  Information is lacking from the link but on its surface it looks to me that it would be a big step in the right direction.   

The Philippines' SRRV expanded courtesy visa for military retirees is a good model to follow in my opinion.  One of the additional perks of that one is that SRRV holders are eligible to work in the country.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

So 10 years max for pensioners? What then ?

Nice headline but as always lacking detail....

Take their money and burry them? Why don't they do something for us like a good hospital discount for over the age of seventy?

Edited by vandeventer

11 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

So 10 years max for pensioners? What then ?

Nice headline but as always lacking detail....

Renew again I hope. I hear Cambodians can get a pink ID that allows them leave to remain. Something along those lines for retired Expats?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have an easier solution.  Accept proof of overseas government pensions to enable retired expats a smoother way to apply or extend retirement visas or extension of stays.  

That would of course then only apply to the older people.....currently one has to be 66 to qualify for a UK State pension.