Any Questions? Feel free to ask...

JohnoNongBua

Have you got a work permit ???? ????

I know, I know... I’m sorry... but some tool will be along soon to ask that question seriously !!!!! ????

Having had disasters with minor construction (kitchen extension), I understand and admire why you have taken the choice to ‘do it yourself’.... especially if you have time and find the project enjoyable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JohnoNongBua said:

Any questions feel free to ask. 

Good to have people like you on board.

I find question unless simple on building hard to answer unless you can do a site visit. 

Your also find when advice is given you get no feed back. 

Ok, I’ll start the ball rolling. I had the “walk around” floor  area outside my house tiled. The tiles are polished concrete I think, they don’t have that ceramic look. Unfortunately, they’re more slippery when wet than I thought they would be.  Is there a not too expensive solution to this? Could I just give it a top dressing of cement powder with a bit of sand mixed perhaps.  I’ve seen the acid etching solutions, but not sure how effective it’d be.

Thanks in advance for any input 

34 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Ok, I’ll start the ball rolling. I had the “walk around” floor  area outside my house tiled. The tiles are polished concrete I think, they don’t have that ceramic look. Unfortunately, they’re more slippery when wet than I thought they would be.  Is there a not too expensive solution to this? Could I just give it a top dressing of cement powder with a bit of sand mixed perhaps.  I’ve seen the acid etching solutions, but not sure how effective it’d be.

I can help if OK. 

Anti-slip adhesive tape applied to most used area. 

Or apply an anti-slip solution.

52 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

you could apply a mix of epoxy resin with sand.   All you need is a roller brush & tray. 

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I can help if OK. 

Anti-slip adhesive tape applied to most used area. 

Or apply an anti-slip solution.

have kids running around, which would mean a lot of tape. Will look into anti-slip acid, but not sure if it'd etch the surface enough

14 hours ago, JohnoNongBua said:

Hi guys,

New to the forum.

Civil Engineer by trade with a good few decades of experience in numerous countries.

Living between Nong Bua Lamphu and Udon and have been building property here for a good few years. And I actually mean getting my hands dirty, laying blocks, pouring concrete, welding steel, opposed to turning up for 10 mins a day to find it's all going wrong on your dream house build!

Any questions feel free to ask. (English or Thai)

Welcome to the forum John------ Questions--: I am sure you are going to get a lot.

30 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

good idea. I wonder if the tiles need to be roughed up first and price of epoxy. I'll look into that one.

no need to rough up the tiles, just ensure they are clean and dust free.  I applied this one to concrete and the finish was shiny as I wanted.  You could mix sand with it or apply and sprinkle sand on top straight away after the roller ....

At just 135 baht a can.  You could ask the Shopee supplier how many cans you need for your specific area coverage.  Even 5 cans is still only 675 baht. 

The reason I think this rather than mixing epoxy itself ( Part A & B )  .... is because epoxy is expensive.   Anyway,  it's just my thoughts ....

image.png.970ee94865fd1603351aadfeae4a5339.png

Edited by steven100

39 minutes ago, steven100 said:

no need to rough up the tiles, just ensure they are clean and dust free.  I applied this one to concrete and the finish was shiny as I wanted.  You could mix sand with it or apply and sprinkle sand on top straight away after the roller ....

At just 135 baht a can.  You could ask the Shopee supplier how many cans you need for your specific area coverage.  Even 5 cans is still only 675 baht. 

The reason I think this rather than mixing epoxy itself ( Part A & B )  .... is because epoxy is expensive.   Anyway,  it's just my thoughts ....

image.png.970ee94865fd1603351aadfeae4a5339.png

Thank you so much for the help. I don’t have Shopee, I’ll try to find it on Lazada 

Yes, I have a question about floor tiling, medium and big tiles, how it's done in Thailand and how to recognize if the person or company who does the job is good at it.

It seems many tile floors in Thailand may look good at the beginning but soon some tile are lose, etc.

I plan a renovation with about 100 sqm floor tiles and tiles on the bathroom and kitchen walls.

I don't do that myself. But to be able to look for a guy who knows what he is doing I learn the theory by watching lots of videos on YouTube. I.e. this guy, who seems to know what he is talking about.

Sal DiBlasi - YouTube

In his an other videos on YouTube they use self leveler, membranes and clips, especially on large tiles.

All these things seem to be not common in Thailand. Maybe I will find someone or a company who is familiar with those technologies or maybe all this is not really necessary. I don't know.

Another option is to select "small" tiles like i.e. 30x30cm, because it seems to be a lot easier to install those.

So my question to you is: What do you think about these technologies? Are they necessary, maybe necessary depending on xyz?

And if I want to hire a company or a person then I guess it makes sense to ask them for other jobs which they did? Does it make sense to ask them for recent jobs or maybe something that they did years ago? And then what to look for? Lose tiles, uneven tiles? Uneven grout lines? 

Over to you. Thanks. And you can ask me computer questions in another section for this forum. ???? 

3 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Migth be cheaper, in the long run, to go for something designed for the job:

image.png.4132c5b8dd720f10235e5d4e860282a6.png

image.png.dec6c819d3c6bb244702bbcb43db70f4.png