Yahoo and Thaiger Report - Thailand is set to fully decriminalize cannabis

kevinsan

Hooray. They included magic mushrooms in the current legalization wave.

The draft specifies opium poppy, shroom (magic mushroom) and extracts of cannabis and hemp as carrying less than 0.2% of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) by weight. THC is the chemical responsible for most of cannabis's psychological effects.

Law takes effect in 120 days.

Edited by CharlieH
bangkokpost link removed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was a puritan flair up in the early 2000s including a sudden crackdown on magic mushrooms in the early 2000s.

At that time, both Japan and the UK fully criminalized them after years of ambiguity; Japan allowed the sale of dry mushrooms but not the consumption and the UK allowed the possession of wet mushrooms but not their storage. 

Since magic mushrooms are laughably safe (far safer than marijuana) it has always amazed me. Luckily, the low-information-voter "soccer moms" who supported these crackdowns because "who will think of the children!?" are fading out of history.

It is still surprising to see a military junta para-democracy go along with a liberalisation. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:49 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Here in Thailand edible THC is available legally and certificated forms. I have visited two government cannabis clinics one in Pattaya and one in Bangkok. As well as providing you with THC it's presence in your  system and the government  medical  certificate act as 'cover'.

I don't have a verifiable medical need for Pot.  I have had prostate cancer (in remission) as well as brain surgery. But I can't claim any "need" for medical marijuana in terms of intractable pain. If the THC is removed from marijuana, then basically all you have is green veggies of inferior taste. I am not going to be able to claim marijuana need on a medical basis. I want it decriminalized and sold like cigarettes.  At present, it is a money earner for the Royal Thai Police.  I don't expect any movement for

that reason.  CBD is the most worthless drug since Hadacol.

• Confused 1

On 1/23/2022 at 8:07 PM, Don Chance said:

Not at all. My post comes from 30 years of experience. I was addicted to marijuana for years and like you i had read that it was not additive. What a lie.

I actually quit by accident because i got a throat infection i was unable to smoke anymore. It was hard at first, then after 6 months my throat got better so i tried to smoke again. But by that time i had gained some perspective. I started smoking again and realized i was no happier last week than when i didn't smoke.  I realizes it was a waste of money and time. 

You can go to a nice view point and smoke a joint and say wow it is so beautiful. But guess what - you don't need it.  You can still go to that view point and look at the beach or lake and still feel high. Just relax.

Then after a year of not smoking you start to realize how bad marijuana is really.  Paranoid. I saw some teenagers who had just smoked and they all scared i was cop or something. LOL. You see the pot head who smokes everyday and he is in a state of confusion and depression.  Someone shows up for a job and they are completely incompetent because they are stoned and then soon fired. Their memory is so poor. These are not minor side effects. These are VERY bad psychological effects.   Paranoia is something schizophrenics experience!

After not smoking for a year or longer you will never go back because it will be clear to you if you previously smoked everyday.  Marijuana is  highly addictive for many people, you can see the crime gangs and mafia who are getting rich from it. Many people have lost their lives too, getting shot in simple marijuana deals.  These are things people must understand.

• Confused 1

We all remember the party in Bali before mushrooms became taboo in 2016. Best clubs with everyone sipping the soup from plastic bags. International DJ's flying out every weekend and the beach sunrises becoming one with the universe. Otherwise I am happy to microdose under medical supervision. 120 days seems like a lifetime away.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, kevinsan said:

Hooray. They included magic mushrooms in the current legalization wave.

The draft specifies opium poppy, shroom (magic mushroom) and extracts of cannabis and hemp as carrying less than 0.2% of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) by weight. THC is the chemical responsible for most of cannabis's psychological effects.

Law takes effect in 120 days.

... can't post a BKKpost link here unfortunately mate, but yes that's what it says there.

Then again here's what DrDr. h.c. Anutin blessed us with in that regard ... now take a pick, 555 ...

Thailand’s Narcotics Control Board today (Tuesday) endorsed the Ministry of Public Health’s drafted announcement on decriminalising cannabis and hemp, by removing the two plants from Category 5 of the drugs list, which will pave the way for their legal cultivation.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said that the remaining drugs in Category 5 will include opium, magic mushrooms (Psilocybe cubensis) and extracts of cannabis which contain more THC than 0.2% by weight. ... "

On 1/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, ezzra said:

Why do you think is a good thing for people to smoke at all Huh? and why do you think we want to see stoned people driving and riding motorcycle around? also people under the influence of the the cannabis doing engaging in behavior that otherwise they wouldn't, saying it's not me, it's the cannabis.. who need that?...and beside, who needs MORE drugs on the market? legal or not?...

https://vancouversun.com/news/new-study-shows-no-increase-in-car-crash-injuries-after-marijuana-legalized

Well then! You'll be pleased to note that cannabis use is associated with a lower incidence of driving accidents even amongst the youth. 

I'm sure that, now armed with this knowledge, you'll change your tune and advocate for the full legalization of cannabis and outlawing of alcohol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jollyhangmon said:

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said that the remaining drugs in Category 5 will include opium, magic mushrooms (Psilocybe cubensis) and extracts of cannabis which contain more THC than 0.2% by weight. ... "

From the highest of highs to lowest of lows. Off to buy some legal anti-depressants. Anyway, its a start.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kevinsan said:

We all remember the party in Bali before mushrooms became taboo in 2016. Best clubs with everyone sipping the soup from plastic bags. International DJ's flying out every weekend and the beach sunrises becoming one with the universe. Otherwise I am happy to microdose under medical supervision. 120 days seems like a lifetime away.

Why wait?

3 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

I don't have a verifiable medical need for Pot.  I have had prostate cancer (in remission) as well as brain surgery. But I can't claim any "need" for medical marijuana in terms of intractable pain. If the THC is removed from marijuana, then basically all you have is green veggies of inferior taste. I am not going to be able to claim marijuana need on a medical basis. I want it decriminalized and sold like cigarettes.  At present, it is a money earner for the Royal Thai Police.  I don't expect any movement for

that reason.  CBD is the most worthless drug since Hadacol.

You can get cannabis oil in Thailand already for your sickness history. I recommend Sawasdee Clinic near Don Mueang.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, pikao said:

After watching this masterpiece of educational advertising, I know ezzra is right

Notice the woman keeping her right leg on the floor as she drags the guy onto the bed? Awkward but required by the social censorship of the time in movies. 

Also just as archaic as the silly message the film tries to deliver. Even at the time it fell flat and was simply amusing to those truly informed. Same today, for those who are informed.

• Like 1

Not at all. My post comes from 30 years of experience. I was addicted to marijuana for years and like you i had read that it was not additive. What a lie.

I actually quit by accident because i got a throat infection i was unable to smoke anymore. It was hard at first, then after 6 months my throat got better so i tried to smoke again. But by that time i had gained some perspective. I started smoking again and realized i was no happier last week than when i didn't smoke.  I realizes it was a waste of money and time. 

You can go to a nice view point and smoke a joint and say wow it is so beautiful. But guess what - you don't need it.  You can still go to that view point and look at the beach or lake and still feel high. Just relax.

Then after a year of not smoking you start to realize how bad marijuana is really.  Paranoid. I saw some teenagers who had just smoked and they all scared i was cop or something. LOL. You see the pot head who smokes everyday and he is in a state of confusion and depression.  Someone shows up for a job and they are completely incompetent because they are stoned and then soon fired. Their memory is so poor. These are not minor side effects. These are VERY bad psychological effects.   Paranoia is something schizophrenics experience!

After not smoking for a year or longer you will never go back because it will be clear to you if you previously smoked everyday.  Marijuana is  highly addictive for many people, you can see the crime gangs and mafia who are getting rich from it. Many people have lost their lives too, getting shot in simple marijuana deals.  These are things people must understand.

So were you addicted to cigarettes?Just asking because smoking too much can really damage your throat.

Edited by jvs

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

https://vancouversun.com/news/new-study-shows-no-increase-in-car-crash-injuries-after-marijuana-legalized

Well then! You'll be pleased to note that cannabis use is associated with a lower incidence of driving accidents even amongst the youth. 

I'm sure that, now armed with this knowledge, you'll change your tune and advocate for the full legalization of cannabis and outlawing of alcohol.

As I pointed out in an earlier thread on this topic, such driving studies have been done numerous times by numerous authorities in a vain attempt to find rationale for repression of a plant.

They all failed to prove their point and simply became laughing stock.

Willful ignorance can ignore/disregard the clearest of facts though, as a few die-hards on these forums prove. They are however still free to express their personal opinions and even offer alternative facts.

In the end however, all efforts to legislate morality fail the test of time. Freedom to possess and regulate our own bodies is fundamental.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gaccha said:

It is still surprising to see a military junta para-democracy go along with a liberalisation. 

I bet there were brown envelopes (or foreign aid moneys) from the USA to help those Thai in charge at the time to make marihuana illegal. There was a lot of influence by the DEA. Those that benefitted from the American largesse are no longer in power. Plus the USA is not so vehemently anti-marihuana these days.

• Like 1

I though it was only ex-alcoholics who spoke in this weird condescending way? 

It's fine, the rest of us are quite able to control our own impulses and have a few joints every so often and leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 1:44 PM, sleepwalker999 said:

I though it was only ex-alcoholics who spoke in this weird condescending way? 

It's fine, the rest of us are quite able to control our own impulses and have a few joints every so often and leave it at that.

Yes. We know. You do not care about other people because you are stoned all day. In fact 20-30% of people will become addicted. So why not spread misinformation about it if it serves you?

• Confused 1