Duty/customs fees on watches?

ChomDo

I was wondering if anyone knows about fees on packages ordered from online shops abroad. Now that brands and shops are offering free shipping around the world, is there something about customs and duty fees to be considered when having something delivered to Thailand? Let's say for example that I want to buy a watch that costs USD250. Do I need to worry that my package would be stuck in customs and them asking me for extra fees to get my package delivered? I have no idea about this since I normally order everything locally from Lazada, but any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Hi.   This information is available online on Thai Customs website - but is not easy to follow.

If importing goods you would be subject to duty & VAT.  Duty varies according to the item - watches are about 10% , electrical goods can be 40% or more - although the amount of duty you pay to some extent depends on how the inspector feels on the day!  The duty is calculated on the estimated value of the item - which is not necessarily the invoiced value!   VAT is fixed at 7%.

Some shipping companies, like DHL, will also add on a 'service (+/- storage fee)' on top of this. 

If you import under the regs, a quick search shows that wrist watches attract 40% import duty, this would be added to the original cost then 7% VAT applied.

Could be more if it is CIF.

A lot of variables, i.e., where it originates from etc.

http://itd.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

HS code is 910219

Basically, buy it here!

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

Watches generally attract a 5 per cent import duty, plus vat.

However some countries have an exemption, such as Japan, where the import duty is 0 per cent. Quite handy if you are importing a Grand Seiko.

The 40 per cent mentioned above is the ceiling rate. This is the maximum authorized rate, however WTO rates would always take precedence over the ceiling rate, and General rates would almost always take precedence over WTO rates.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The 40 per cent mentioned above is the ceiling rate. This is the maximum authorized rate, however WTO rates would always take precedence over the ceiling rate, and General rates would almost always take precedence over WTO rates.

Thanks for the clarification, I just did a quick search based on the HS code, hence why I said about the variables, all imports are subject to 7% VAT on top of the duty.

Thanks for the replies. So it seems to be a bit random or like whatever could happen. I wouldn't mind a 5% charge but 40% is a bit different. Like you mentioned, normal posted items hardly get checked but I'm not sure what delivery service these shops use. 

Just to avoid any risks, maybe I should just order to my home address in Europe and have it sent by normal post from there. 

20 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the replies. So it seems to be a bit random or like whatever could happen. I wouldn't mind a 5% charge but 40% is a bit different. Like you mentioned, normal posted items hardly get checked but I'm not sure what delivery service these shops use. 

Just to avoid any risks, maybe I should just order to my home address in Europe and have it sent by normal post from there. 

Last time i send a package from my country to BKK it tooks 5 weeks before arrived there.

This wednesday i used DHL and it arrived BKK allready.Its only documents and is cleared by the custom here.I know if import something to thailand its tax on these goods.

I import watches for my personal use several times a year. Taxes and duties, all in come to between 11-13%. Depending on the value of the package, if coming by mail, you might pay the taxes and duties at the post office or at your nearest Customs office. If over a certain value, like the Grand Seiko mentioned above, you will still be assessed a duty even if from Japan (having imported two GS's not long ago, both came via the post office).

Delivery by courier, it takes a little longer and you are asked to email them proof of payment and possibly your import licence. Both DHL and FedEx, I've paid about 13% all in. Taxes are assessed on the value plus freight plus insurance and it comes to about 11-13% of the value of the watch in my experience.

14 hours ago, malathione said:

I import watches for my personal use several times a year.

I guess now that your friend is dead you can no longer borrow them.  Nice to see you here, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit.

• Haha 1