Animal Army issues rabies alert in Pattaya after one confirmed case in a stray dog

webfact

FB_IMG_1642791842794-696x445.jpg

By Adam Judd

The following is an alert from the Animal Army Facebook here. Their statements are their own. https://www.facebook.com/AnimalArmyTH/ 

RABIES ALERT
Confirmed Case #1 : Suan Lalana Village, Pattaya City

Tragically a confirmed rabies case has been discovered in Suan Lalana Village, Pattaya City on 19/01/2022. The person to alert city authorities was Andrew Boyes, after he became concerned by a group of individuals trying to beat a dog with sticks and stones. The dog had unfortunately bitten 5-6 people and is confirmed positive for rabies.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/22/animal-army-issues-rabies-alert-in-pattaya-after-one-confirmed-case-in-a-stray-dog/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-01-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

They love to call them stray dogs. There might be the occasional stray, but most are feral animals born in empty lots and parks. Every street has some areas where they breed. They stray nowhere, but live close to where they were born.

In the empty lots where I live, there are about 20 of them... about 3-4 generations born there since I arrived 4 years ago. They are fed every morning and afternoon by a well meaning Thai lady. Of course the Thai lady who fees them lives streets away and doesn't need to put up with the barking and howling at night, or cleaning up their feces. 

In the park on the hill, you had better watch where you walk for exercise as there are some areas where the dogs don't take kindly to humans walking around in what they consider their territory. The City Council are not too concerned about safety and rabies, that's for sure. They condone the continuous feeding of dogs in a public park where humans like to exercise. If you complained, they would just tell you to walk somewhere else, or carry a stick.

It doesn't make a huge difference if they have rabies or not because if you're bitten the recommendation is to immediately take a course of rabies shots. It's too risky not to.

but it's better if they get rabies as they will die within 10 days.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

'one confirmed case in a stray dog' that has bitten 5 or six people and possibly an unknown number of other dogs. All feral dogs need exterminating to cut down on incidents like this; and the number of road accidents; and the sleep-depriving nuisance of baying and snarling animals.  I have reluctantly crossed two of my favourite restaurants off my list as the noise was unbearable.

Ive crossed a few off my list for serving up dog.

• Haha 1

erratic behaviour
 excessive drooling
 not eating
 unusual air biting
 disorientated staggering

I have known a few expats to display the above symtems, but nothing to do with rabies.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, toston said:

but it's better if they get rabies as they will die within 10 days.

Rabies will kill off tourism almost as quickly. On the other hand seems to be far fewer soi dogs than two years ago when I last was in Pattaya.

8 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Rabies will kill off tourism almost as quickly. On the other hand seems to be far fewer soi dogs than two years ago when I last was in Pattaya.

If only that were true. There are as many as there ever were. All the bitches are always pregnant, having 2-3 litters a year. A dog roundup has hardly any impact at all.

Edited by JensenZ

20 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Let's create a new insurance for Rabies for falangs..they almost are at same numbers as dogs in Pattaya or vice versa...

Would nicely complement the in health checks asked for leprosy. (Yes, in 2022 there are still a handful(!) of people in the world with leprosy.) Also elephantiasis... ("No, I'm neither from Bangladesh, nor Malawi. LOL.") 😆

Edited by StayinThailand2much

16 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Perhaps some more built up areas, that might be true....and they have reduced numbers on the main beach.... but I assure you, Pratumnac and areas out of town still suffer from packs of dogs... I would say there are more of them nowadays. 

The soi dogs are out of control in Banglamung and Laem Chabang, posing a danger to people walking around, running in front of traffic and being a general nuisance.

Thailand has to get tough on these feral dogs if it wants to be considered a civilised place.