Animal Army issues rabies alert in Pattaya after one confirmed case in a stray dog

webfact

FB_IMG_1642791842794-696x445.jpg

By Adam Judd

The following is an alert from the Animal Army Facebook here. Their statements are their own. https://www.facebook.com/AnimalArmyTH/ 

RABIES ALERT
Confirmed Case #1 : Suan Lalana Village, Pattaya City

Tragically a confirmed rabies case has been discovered in Suan Lalana Village, Pattaya City on 19/01/2022. The person to alert city authorities was Andrew Boyes, after he became concerned by a group of individuals trying to beat a dog with sticks and stones. The dog had unfortunately bitten 5-6 people and is confirmed positive for rabies.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/22/animal-army-issues-rabies-alert-in-pattaya-after-one-confirmed-case-in-a-stray-dog/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-01-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

They love to call them stray dogs. There might be the occasional stray, but most are feral animals born in empty lots and parks. Every street has some areas where they breed. They stray nowhere, but live close to where they were born.

In the empty lots where I live, there are about 20 of them... about 3-4 generations born there since I arrived 4 years ago. They are fed every morning and afternoon by a well meaning Thai lady. Of course the Thai lady who fees them lives streets away and doesn't need to put up with the barking and howling at night, or cleaning up their feces. 

In the park on the hill, you had better watch where you walk for exercise as there are some areas where the dogs don't take kindly to humans walking around in what they consider their territory. The City Council are not too concerned about safety and rabies, that's for sure. They condone the continuous feeding of dogs in a public park where humans like to exercise. If you complained, they would just tell you to walk somewhere else, or carry a stick.

It doesn't make a huge difference if they have rabies or not because if you're bitten the recommendation is to immediately take a course of rabies shots. It's too risky not to.

but it's better if they get rabies as they will die within 10 days.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

'one confirmed case in a stray dog' that has bitten 5 or six people and possibly an unknown number of other dogs. All feral dogs need exterminating to cut down on incidents like this; and the number of road accidents; and the sleep-depriving nuisance of baying and snarling animals.  I have reluctantly crossed two of my favourite restaurants off my list as the noise was unbearable.

Ive crossed a few off my list for serving up dog.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, toston said:

but it's better if they get rabies as they will die within 10 days.

Rabies will kill off tourism almost as quickly. On the other hand seems to be far fewer soi dogs than two years ago when I last was in Pattaya.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Rabies will kill off tourism almost as quickly. On the other hand seems to be far fewer soi dogs than two years ago when I last was in Pattaya.

If only that were true. There are as many as there ever were. All the bitches are always pregnant, having 2-3 litters a year. A dog roundup has hardly any impact at all.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Let's create a new insurance for Rabies for falangs..they almost are at same numbers as dogs in Pattaya or vice versa...

Would nicely complement the in health checks asked for leprosy. (Yes, in 2022 there are still a handful(!) of people in the world with leprosy.) Also elephantiasis... ("No, I'm neither from Bangladesh, nor Malawi. LOL.") ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

16 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Perhaps some more built up areas, that might be true....and they have reduced numbers on the main beach.... but I assure you, Pratumnac and areas out of town still suffer from packs of dogs... I would say there are more of them nowadays. 

• 8 months later...

There is a lovely spot at the bottom of soi 5 Pratumnak on the beach. There are about 15 soi dogs in the area, all wild

None have collars, and they scrap among themselves on the 7/Eleven patio. Also, the thing is they all poo on the beach, which is never cleaned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I went to an Expat shop yesterday and they had a sleeping dog right outside at the entrance. Always worries me lifting a foot over a dog like this......

If it were me I'd turn around and take my business elsewhere. No cuppa-soup is worth dying of rabies for.

• Haha 1

Back in April this year I was bitten by a dog on Pattaya Klang about 50 yards from Soi Buakhaow.

Not a nice experience at all. Had to go to Pattaya Memorial to have 5 injections for Tetenus around the wound and an anti Rabies injection in each shoulder.

The wound was cleaned at hospital everyday and I had to have further injections in each shoulder for Rabies on day 5 ,12 and day 26 .

18 hours ago, mlkik said:

Back in April this year I was bitten by a dog on Pattaya Klang about 50 yards from Soi Buakhaow.

Not a nice experience at all. Had to go to Pattaya Memorial to have 5 injections for Tetenus around the wound and an anti Rabies injection in each shoulder.

The wound was cleaned at hospital everyday and I had to have further injections in each shoulder for Rabies on day 5 ,12 and day 26 .

An experience many fear. Was this a random attack by a fierce dog, had you tried to step over it or any other reason it behaved that way? Most dogs seem placid... but will chase bikes etc. 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

An experience many fear. Was this a random attack by a fierce dog, had you tried to step over it or any other reason it behaved that way? Most dogs seem placid... but will chase bikes etc. 

I had been in the UK for a couple of months and forgot how dangerous Thai dogs are.

This coupled with owning two really good natured dogs made me forget that all Thai dogs should be given a wide berth.

The dog was being fed by the food vendor and the pavement was blocked.

I wrongly assumed the dog was tame and owned by the vendor.

Without thinking I stepped over the dog and it was startled and jumped up and bit me on the lower leg.

I hold my hands up and accept it was my own stupidity/forgetfulness that led to the dog biting me.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 2:55 PM, IAMHERE said:

I live in Pattaya full time, and sometimes I think the number of dogs in my area has reduced. It is not so. During breeding season they stay off the road and retreat into the bushes. I've been told they sometimes do a roundup, but I don't think it's true.

Just outside the park on Pratumnak Hill, outside the tourist police office, there's a very annoying, noisy, and aggressive pack of dogs. A few nights ago I ran after the alpha male with a stick and some Thai person yelled at me to leave their dogs alone. Protecting aggressive dogs outside the tourist police station is a bit much. I suppose I know who to charge for any rabies shots.

I frequently walk in this park at night. Late at night, the dogs feel they own the place, so it's important to show the alpha males who is in charge when I'm there. Once they know I'm a potential threat, they never forget and run away when they see me. For all the dog lovers, apart from a light kick in the jaw one time, I have never hurt any of them. A lot of the dogs are really cool and I can walk right past them without them even walking up (if they are sleeping). It's just the odd alpha male that needs to be put in their place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I've been in some scary situations. The most dangerous is quiet dead-end sois that don't get a lot of through traffic. Don't ride or walk into these late at night if you don't know where you are going. Most soi dogs are placid. It's just the alpha male of the pack that causes the problems and gets all the other dogs excited.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:51 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

The soi dogs are out of control in Banglamung and Laem Chabang, posing a danger to people walking around, running in front of traffic and being a general nuisance.

Thailand has to get tough on these feral dogs if it wants to be considered a civilised place.

These dogs only exist because Thai people feed them. What else would they eat if they weren't fed? There would not be enough scrap food around to feed them all. Every soi dog you see has a defacto owner who loves and cares for them. Thai people value life, so in that respect, they are very civilized. They would consider the life of their "pets", aka soi dogs, over the inconvenience caused to foreign tourists. It's the Thai people that cause the problem in the first place, but who are we to tell Thai people what they should or should not do?

These animals need to be considered part of Thai culture. They are not going anywhere no matter how much foreigners complain about them. 

36 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I live in Pattaya full time, and sometimes I think the number of dogs in my area has reduced. It is not so. During breeding season they stay off the road and retreat into the bushes. I've been told they sometimes do a roundup, but I don't think it's true.

Just outside the park on Pratumnak Hill, outside the tourist police office, there's a very annoying, noisy, and aggressive pack of dogs. A few nights ago I ran after the alpha male with a stick and some Thai person yelled at me to leave their dogs alone. Protecting aggressive dogs outside the tourist police station is a bit much. I suppose I know who to charge for any rabies shots.

I frequently walk in this park at night. Late at night, the dogs feel they own the place, so it's important to show the alpha males who is in charge when I'm there. Once they know I'm a potential threat, they never forget and run away when they see me. For all the dog lovers, apart from a light kick in the jaw one time, I have never hurt any of them. A lot of the dogs are really cool and I can walk right past them without them even walking up (if they are sleeping). It's just the odd alpha male that needs to be put in their place.

Because there have been fewer tourists in the Pratumnak/Cosy beach area, the sois now have far too many strays, I avoid Cosy beach now because of this, been chased on my motorbike twice

7 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Because there have been fewer tourists in the Pratumnak/Cosy beach area, the sois now have far too many strays, I avoid Cosy beach now because of this, been chased on my motorbike twice

I lived in Cosy Beach for over 6 years. Over that time there was only one dog that regularly chased me on one of the backstreets. Motorbike chasers are not really a problem. You can speed up and lose them, or just stop and then they stop in their tracks. It's only a game for them. Being on foot is more dangerous.

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I lived in Cosy Beach for over 6 years. Over that time there was only one dog that regularly chased me on one of the backstreets. Motorbike chasers are not really a problem. You can speed up and lose them, or just stop and then they stop in their tracks. It's only a game for them. Being on foot is more dangerous.

I used to have this problem when I lived on Soi SIam CC road, and a dog owned by a slightly nutty lady who lived alone. She didn't seem to mind that  it chased people on bikes, very much threatening to bite. One day it picked on the wrong rider, a policeman from down the street, who shot it dead. Since then I have thought better of the police. 

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:57 PM, Seppius said:

There was always plenty when I lived there, even with the tourists. They have more to eat when there are lots of tourists around... well, at least tastier than their regular pile of plain rice the feeders feed them. There were huge packs of dogs just around the corner. The next-door neighbour's daughter was bitten. There were more empty lots, and that means more dogs.

• Like 1